From Passive to Powered Speakers. Sidegrade?
Sep 7, 2018 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

BabylonDown

Head-Fier
Well, I guess I'm getting bored with my audio setup because I would like to upgrade. The audio is quite good for a computer setup, but I have been looking at powered speakers and maybe ditching my A/V Receiver.

My current setup is as follows

Yamaha RX-V473 Receiver
Polk Audio RTI4 Speakers
Polk Audio PSW10 Subwoofer

I have the options of getting a good deal on some Audioengine A5+ speakers and ditching the receiver, but I don't know if it's worth it. I will be eventually picking up an Amp/Dac combo as I've been running my headphones off the receiver, but the performance is very poor and for gaming, the receiver just doesn't cut it. I'm running a pair of 598's currently, which are lackluster on their own, so will be upgrading those as well.

If I were to pick a proper AMP/DAC combo that would allow me to run a 2.1 setup any suggestions would be great. I spend most of my computer time on the 2.1 setup, but want to upgrade headphones and amp/dac for a better gaming experience in soundstage, positional audio etc.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 8
My two cents, your not getting to much of a difference or improvement, switching from the Yamaha to the A5+
If you really are looking to switching from the Yamaha, to self-powered speakers, check out the Monoprice 5" studio monitors.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=605500

Is the computer connected to the Yamaha RX-V473 receiver using an optical or HDMI connection?
HDMI is better
and computer's audio is set for 5.1 output, for surround sound (FPS) gaming.
Optical (PC to Yamaha) connection is fine for stereo (2.0) audio.

The HD598 might not be sounding their best plugged into the headphone jack of a receiver (impedance issues).
An Asus or Creative Labs sound card might be better for driving the 50-Ohm HD598.
(you can still run optical form the sound card to Yamaha)

Headphones that might sound better plugged into a receiver (and better then the HD598)
Fostex (Massdrop) T-X0
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-fostex-t-x0-planar-magnetic-headphones.
Sennheiser (Massdrop) HD58X headphones (two days left to order)
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones

Sep 7, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 8
I'm happy with my end game 2.1 speakers: Yamaha HS7+HS8S. Even beats my CA Andromeda IEM in overall SQ. Detail retrieval are on-par or better than CA Andromeda IEM so I don't miss any macro/micro details when I switch to my 2.1 speakers.

Sep 7, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 8
Imma go a lil on the high end here... these things are best bang for buck summit fi for me.

Ooo pretty

And for the 15-40hz

For a real nice dac+preamp/headamp audio gd has some nice options and a separate power amp. Then for headphones something that will enjoy all that power like audeze lcd2s, hifiman he5xx, mrspeakers aeon.

Those companies have cheaper options to, theres a $700 pair of phils, a hsu $500 sub, a $400 audio gd dac+p/hamp. And you can always watch used markets and other specials for good deals. You'll see adorama occasionally sell he560s for $300. I got my audeze el8s for $200, and my audio gd nfb7 for $500.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 8
I have the options of getting a good deal on some Audioengine A5+ speakers and ditching the receiver, but I don't know if it's worth it. I will be eventually picking up an Amp/Dac combo as I've been running my headphones off the receiver, but the performance is very poor and for gaming, the receiver just doesn't cut it. I'm running a pair of 598's currently, which are lackluster on their own, so will be upgrading those as well.

If I were to pick a proper AMP/DAC combo that would allow me to run a 2.1 setup any suggestions would be great. I spend most of my computer time on the 2.1 setup, but want to upgrade headphones and amp/dac for a better gaming experience in soundstage, positional audio etc.

If your goal is positional audio and you can use speakers anyway why not just use surround speakers? If you want headphones as an alternate, and better if it's mostly for music, an easy way to do all that is to just get a 5.1 multimedia speaker set and a soundcard, then use the SPDIF output from the soundcard to feed a DAC-HPamp driving the headphones. Those speakers might be tiny, but as long as you can mount them properly all around your seat, you're still going to get surround audio.

If this is for a living room instead of a PC desk you might as well just get more speakers for that HT receiver (maybe upgrade to a Marantz later also) and run surround.

Sep 10, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #7 of 8
My two cents, your not getting to much of a difference or improvement, switching from the Yamaha to the A5+
If you really are looking to switching from the Yamaha, to self-powered speakers, check out the Monoprice 5" studio monitors.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=605500

Is the computer connected to the Yamaha RX-V473 receiver using an optical or HDMI connection?
HDMI is better
and computer's audio is set for 5.1 output, for surround sound (FPS) gaming.
Optical (PC to Yamaha) connection is fine for stereo (2.0) audio.

The HD598 might not be sounding their best plugged into the headphone jack of a receiver (impedance issues).
An Asus or Creative Labs sound card might be better for driving the 50-Ohm HD598.
(you can still run optical form the sound card to Yamaha)

Headphones that might sound better plugged into a receiver (and better then the HD598)
Fostex (Massdrop) T-X0
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-fostex-t-x0-planar-magnetic-headphones.
Sennheiser (Massdrop) HD58X headphones (two days left to order)
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones

My receiver is connected to my computer via HDMI.

This is why I would also like to get an amp/dac and do away with the receiver if I decide to change me setup. I'm looking for recommendations.

If your goal is positional audio and you can use speakers anyway why not just use surround speakers? If you want headphones as an alternate, and better if it's mostly for music, an easy way to do all that is to just get a 5.1 multimedia speaker set and a soundcard, then use the SPDIF output from the soundcard to feed a DAC-HPamp driving the headphones. Those speakers might be tiny, but as long as you can mount them properly all around your seat, you're still going to get surround audio.

If this is for a living room instead of a PC desk you might as well just get more speakers for that HT receiver (maybe upgrade to a Marantz later also) and run surround.

This is part my PC desk, so I don't have room to put more speakers behind me. I definitely want to stick to using headphones to game when I care about positional audio.

Sep 10, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #8 of 8
This is part my PC desk, so I don't have room to put more speakers behind me.

I had an Altec Lansing set before with the rear channels on cheap stands behind my seat, then I just move the stands back against the desk when not in use.

I definitely want to stick to using headphones to game when I care about positional audio.

Might want to start with the SoundBlaster X AE-5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back