From MDR-1A to HD650?
Dec 19, 2018 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

nampramos

New Head-Fier
Could anyone please describe the major differences between these two?

I spent half of today trying to find a HD650 demo but seems like all that’s on display is Bose or worse... couldn’t even find a single open back and I’ve never tried any before.

I’d be using the HD650 connected to an old Marantz 2230 from the 70s that’s in great shape and all original. When I travel I use a Sony A45 Walkman but I’m pretty sure the HD650 would sound tiny on that and the open back wouldn’t be ideal either. I love the 1A when traveling, they’re fun to listen to and keep a lot of exterior sound out but I’d like something more neutral to use at home when I’m not hearing the 2230 via Klipsch RP-160. Currently I’m hearing a lot of classical/piano.

I could grab a lightly used pair tomorrow for aprox. $165.

Thank you!

Dec 20, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #3 of 6
HD650 would be make sense coming from MDR-1A, since it shared much with the original Momentum when I tried the two portables back-to-back. 650 is basically a clearer and much better defined Momentum V.1 in my estimation, after owning both. If you like a warm, mid-bassy but neutral signature, HD650 is it. I've tried it from a crappy home-stereo hp-send once and sounded like total ass... So be sure that output is actually ok or be prepared to put some 100 dollars into an amp.

Dec 21, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #4 of 6
Thank you for taking the time to answer.

I was considering the HD660S but that’s a lot more expensive and can’t find it on the used market either.

Regarding the amp that will drive it, I’d say the Marantz 2230 I have, although almost 50 years old, should do the job.

I wonder if anyone could give me a short summary of what’s been said about the HD660S? It’s own thread is massive.

Dec 21, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #5 of 6
Haven't heard 660S, but from what I gather they are an easier to drive version with a moderately different tuning vs 650. HD6XX and HD58X seem like much better deals as I understand it. But yeah, let's hear from people who have actually heard the 660S.

Dec 24, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #6 of 6
Could anyone please describe the major differences between these two?

I spent half of today trying to find a HD650 demo but seems like all that’s on display is Bose or worse... couldn’t even find a single open back and I’ve never tried any before.

I’d be using the HD650 connected to an old Marantz 2230 from the 70s that’s in great shape and all original. When I travel I use a Sony A45 Walkman but I’m pretty sure the HD650 would sound tiny on that and the open back wouldn’t be ideal either. I love the 1A when traveling, they’re fun to listen to and keep a lot of exterior sound out but I’d like something more neutral to use at home when I’m not hearing the 2230 via Klipsch RP-160. Currently I’m hearing a lot of classical/piano.

I could grab a lightly used pair tomorrow for aprox. $165.

Thank you!

I own both the HD6XX and the Sony MDR-1A and the sound signatures are different enough to be a great complimentary pair to make the most out of all musical genres. Meaning, the Sony pair provide a fun and warm closed-back sound that is perfect for Hip-Hop, Pop, R&B, and EDM. The HD650 is airy and vibrant and are excellent for classical, jazz, and songs with with great vocals. You can listen to all genres on both, but the HD650 will not come close to providing the amount of bass that the MDR-1A will, but are really good at bringing instrumental sounds and vocals forward. You can’t go wrong with this combo. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back