from Iriver H120 to....Ipod or D2?
Sep 17, 2008 at 11:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mikeymike66

New Head-Fier
Hello all
I'd appreciate some advice. I am currently using an Iriver H120 (Rockboxed) and need some extra storage space and ideally a smaller player. I mainly use the Iriver for commuting and find is just that little bit too bulky to carry comfortably in my suit or jeans pocket. With the Iriver I love the sound quality (much better than my wife's Zen V+ and my Archos 604), the drag & drop of files and the standard mini USB. If it wasn't for the bulk I'd go for a
H140.

In terms of larger capacity players (ie 30Gb +) am I right in thinking that it is a choice between an Ipod or Cowon D2 with a suitable SDHC card? anything else I should consider? Whilst I have heard good things here about the D2, how does the sq of the Ipod compare to the iriver - and can I use something else than Itunes that could give me drag n' drop access on to the ipod - ideally onto to multiple computers. If I get a 5th Gen ipod - should I Rockbox it?

Finally, and of lesser importance, could either the Cowon or the an Ipod video replace my Archos 604 for output to tv. Nice to have vids when I am on holiday and not carrry around whatever I get + the Archos.

My apologies for all the questions and thanks in advance.
Mikey

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 11
The Cowon D2 is an awesome player and I love mine. Sounds beautiful.

Just be aware that the D2 has a file limit of 4000 files on internal memory and 4000 on the external cards.

That's fine for me with 160kb/s .ogg files with the 16GB internal memory and a 16GB SDSH. (around 3500 files on each).

I've never used the D2 output to TV so can't help you there sorry.

Good luck
Paul

Sep 17, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 11
the iriver 120 also has excellent bass performance but much hiss. so, the d2 will have only a little hiss but rubbish bass performance. it really depends on your phones.

the h120 is the old one right? the big ugly one? if so, then the bass performance is great (had that one) but... it does hiss. the ipod will not have the same stellar bass performance but it will be better as it keeps resolution cmpared to the d2 while still hissing less than the iriver

Sep 18, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for your replies. Yes, shigzeo, it is the the big old ugly one...hence I would would like have something else while on the move. May keep it at home, amp it and get some decent 'phones. Uh-oh!!!

Sound wise looks like they both have their pros and cons - and it would seem I'd be happy with either. Love drag the drag n drop of the Cowon but also UI of the Apple..mmm. If I do choose Apple, how easy would it be to avoid Itunes and use 3rd party software for drag n' drop?
thanks again
Mikey

Sep 18, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #6 of 11
I don't know about dragging, but Winamp handles everything but the phone/touch models. Easy?

Rockbox is a sort-of option, but it doesn't apply to the 160GB...IMO the main draw of the pod is that you get 160GB for less than a D2 32GB + a 32GB SDHC, and also a proper line-out ability. Not many options at that capacity, fewer with digital or at least proper line-out. I think the main uh-oh is you have to put up with ALAC instead of the non-proprietary FLAC (well, on the 160GB since no Rockbox there), but the resulting sound is the same as if you could play FLAC anyway so it's mostly an annoyance.

Oh, and it's made by abused third-world children that could never afford an iPod in a million years. But you can say that for so many things.
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymike66 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...If I do choose Apple, how easy would it be to avoid Itunes and use 3rd party software for drag n' drop?
thanks again
Mikey

First, x2 on Spadge's comment, and x2 on nywytboy68's (TV out is only good on a small TV, maybe 19 inches or less).

As for iPod drag and drop, you can get it to work, somewhat, with alternate media player software. But you still have to import files via the media player - don't expect true MSC drag and drop via Windows Explorer.

And to add - 5.5 gen or older iPod's are supported by Rockbox. If you can get your hands on a 5.5 gen, that might actually be your best bet (given that you are already familiar with Rockbox). A 5.5. with a LOD amp seems to be very popular, in these forums. The 30gb is probably slimmer than the iRiver, but it might be just as wide, keep in mind.

Sep 19, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #8 of 11
Second what shigzeo said.

If you even remotely love the deep, punchy bass of your iRiver you will be disappointed by the D2 and the iPod (been a while since I listened to one though).

Sep 19, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #9 of 11
mikeymike66, cowon D2 will probably disappoint you after this iRiver in terms of SQ.
Find ipod video and rockbox it, or better replace hard drive of your H120 with 32GB compact flash and enjoy it couple more years
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #10 of 11
The hdd upgrade for the H120 isn't massively hard to do - takes you up to 30gb (with a hdd) or 32gb (with SSD, a little more fiddly) but that doesn't solve your packaging problem!

Sep 21, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks for your help everyone.

I did toy with the idea of modding the 120 - or even trading it for a 2nd hand 140 - and the D2 was tempting, if expensive, option. However, I've now got a 5th gen 60Gb Ipod coming from an Ebay sale. In the end it was the best bang for buck and the storage should keep me going for a while. I'll be rockboxing this when I get it.
Thanks again
Mikey

Users who are viewing this thread

Back