from IEM to Headphones
Aug 18, 2009 at 5:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

nders

New Head-Fier
hi people,

I am an entry level headphile that came to know of head-fi a few months ago. my primary gears now are IEMs (highest being atrio m8 only) and Derringer amp and I absolutely loved that combination. talk about eargasm :p

Currently, I realised that although IEMs give me detailed timbre and great, superlow bass, it is lacking in soundstage. Atrio is already fantastic in soundstage, but I guess IEMs could only give so much... , so I am thinking of moving into headphones for my next purchase.

What I am worried about is, how will headphones fair with similar price range IEMs ?
what are the major up and downsides of both gears?

following my common sense, I believe that open headphones should destroy IEMs in terms of soundstage, and a superbass headphones would hammer my whole body much more than the best banging bassy IEMs could do. are both these statements correct? I am treating bass and soundstage in music as the most important aspects.

next is, are headphones weaker in delivering details in music?

and... between Atrio and HD555, both unamped, what would be the greatest differences noticeable?

sidenote: i only own a zalman 5.1 headphones, and sad to say, its SQ is so freaken bad I don't think I could go back to it from Atrio anymore...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back