From headphones to in-ear monitors. Would love some advice.
Mar 12, 2010 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Argentoratum

New Head-Fier
Hello gang.

I'm a long time lurker from France, this is my first post.

I currently own a pair of Grado RS2i, a pair of Grado SR80i and an old pair of Shure E2C.

When I listened to the E2C for the first time, back in 2006, I was floored. Now I can barely stand the way they sound. Plus, the part of the cable that goes behind the ear is broken on both sides. Time has come to replace them.

As much as I love my Grado headphones, they're clearly not designed for the outside world and with spring around the corner, I'm going to need to find a new pair of in-ear monitors.

Having never tried better in-ear monitors than my E2C, I feel uneasy about shelling out a few hundred Dollars for slightly higher-end in-ear monitors without knowing what to expect in terms of sound quality. Will I be disappointed no matter what?

I get $120 a month in Amazon gift cards from an online ad I run. However, the number of good in-ear monitors that can be shipped to France is quite limited. Basically, I have to choose between Shure SE530, SE420-K, E4C, E5C, Etymotic ER4S, ER4P, HF2 and Ultimate Ears 700.

The price is not a concern since it's free money that I can't spend any other way; I just would like to buy the best in-ear monitors of the bunch and know if I can expect a decent sound quality compared to my RS2i or even SR80.

Thank you, my dears!

Mar 12, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 9
The SE530 and ER4P/HF2 are the best from that group. Do you love your Grado's? The Grado GR8 IEM is suppose to sound incredible close to the SR325i

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #3 of 9
Shure IEMs are known for forward mids, so they would probably match your Grados closely (especially after a bit of EQ'ing). Out of the bunch, I'd look at the SE530, HF5, or ER4P.

You might also consider the Panasonic HJE900 or Monster Turbines (which I've read actually sound like Grados, can't vouch for it though).

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #4 of 9
The Shures are soft sounding... can be too polite for some. If you want something very aggressive you might as well look elsewhere. The ER4P/S don't have much bass quantity wise, and overall the sound lacks weight, but incredible treble and neutral. If you really have to choose from the list there, I suggest SE530.

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for your replies, Spyro, semisight and derek.

I'm stuck with the earphones sold on Amazon Global unfortunately. I can't really afford to spend money from my own pocket.

The SE530 are significantly more expensive than the ER4P; are they also significantly better? I don't mind the higher price tag but I'd be more than happy to avoid Shure's terrible cables.

I'm mostly listening to music that isn't bass-heavy. Think Joanna Newsom.

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 9
I have briefly listened to the Etymotics ER-4S. The Etymotics may not have the mid centric/warm sound signature you may be looking for. They do provide great comfort and seal. They have a very neutral sound signature. Some listeners may feel underwhelmed in the low end frequencies.

As far as reliability goes, I have not owned the Shure SE530 but I have read many articles where members have expressed their displeasure with Shures cables.

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #7 of 9
I remember someone saying they changed the cable in 2009 so it doesnt crack as much..don't quote me on that however

Mar 12, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #8 of 9
Shure fixed their cable issue, so don't worry about that. They'd be great for Joanna Newsom. I have a pair and think they're great for universal phones. They suffer when compared to my JH-13, but the 13s cost 3-4x as much.

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #9 of 9
Ok, thank you sk3383, rawrster and superporpoise, you were very helpful. SE530 it is.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back