From ER6i, PFE, IE7, TF10...To where next? UM3X, IE8, W3, SE530, W2?
Jan 20, 2010 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

imackler

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all!
To start off with, I really appreciate this community. I listen to far more music than I used to and have found myself trying new kinds of music because of how each iem sounds. And thanks to the individuals who I've already pm'd w/ questions.

I'm looking for advice to where to go next! I listen to lots of classical, jazz and rock, w/ a little new age and world. I value comfort, clarity and detail, and balance across the frequency (I think, I still haven't really found it!). I don't mind analytical but I've learned to value a little fun. I want something I can listen to for four or five hours. And I may be open to adding a 2nd iem (W2?), although I'm really looking for the perfect one. (I know...) (I've read enough reviews to have a descent idea of the reported weaknesses of my options. I guess I'm looking most for advice for what you would recommend based on my experiences and tastes.)

So here's my head-fi journey so far.

ER6i: I liked the ER6i to start off with. But hated the comfort...ack. And really it was just a start. Liked the detail but it was cold.

PFE: I liked the clarity of the PFE. I really started enjoying classical music with them, especially choral. But tough time getting a great seal and the bass was weak for me. Nice sparkle, though! Sent them back because I started to have quality issues...

IE7: I liked the comfort and ease of the IE7. I could listen to them for hours, but missed some of the clarity of the PFE. Started listening to more rock because it did really well with them. They also did really nice with jazz. Didn't really ever feel it excelled with classical, though not bad. Overall solid, even if they are bass heavy. (Sold them, but tempted to go back...)

TF10: I liked the treble and detailed bass on the Triple.fi. I find them very stimulating, very exciting to listen to. But not very comfortable, and well, I just don't listening to them for that long. Really good with electronic music. But the more I listen, the more I miss mids that balance out the bass and highs. Sadly, I used to listen to music a ton more with the IE7, although I was never really satisfied with the clarity/detail of the IE7. Now, after a couple hours,I can't stand the thought of putting the TF10 back in. (Sometimes that feeling has lasted days.)

I listened to Shure 530 for just a short time but felt the mids were overwhelming...only were able to try them shortly.

So that being said, what do you guys think? What is the next step?

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #3 of 21
Impossible to answer, because no matter which of the phones you get, you will wonder about the rest. I know, because I've owned them all but the SE530.

Having said that, in my view, save some money and get the W2s. You won't be disappointed, as they have the most balanced signature/comfort/best price ratio down pat. Not saying they are better than the rest, but all the others have distinctive sound sigs, while the W2s are just right. If you happen to buy the right top tier phone, great. If not, you will be trying and buying. I've been through the process, and to me, the W2s are the best value of all, given the actual price differences.

Also, I have the UM56s with the W2s, and I recommend using the savings to get a pair. You will be done, and happy. I think.

Jan 20, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #4 of 21
I'll give my 2cents on the IE8 when they arrive sometime this week (hopefully) I also have the TF10 so will compare to them.

I think tstartn06 might be on the right track though, but there is also the AT CK90Pro which may be worth waiting for the review to come out. It's another 2 BA based phone that is suppoosed to have good bass and be somewhat ballanced.

Jan 20, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jedi_edward007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
will let you know when i got my parcels bro. but ie8 is really awesome. that lovely soundstage

X2. according to imackler's previous experiences., IE8 could be fit him, But the it is a bit pricy.

Jan 20, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #6 of 21
tstarn06;6330562 said:
Impossible to answer, because no matter which of the phones you get, you will wonder about the rest. I know, because I've owned them all but the SE530.

Good saying. to me, next will be the best. To my taste, I prefer IE8 over SE530. IE 8 have more musicality.

Jan 20, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #10 of 21
I would not use that thread as a guide for choosing a top tier IEM. Just me. As I said, your choice first depends on your needs/likes (as people have said the IE8 seems to meet). But to me, having also been there and done that, I favor the W2/UM56 package for the price to performance ratio. Although that new AT does sound interesting as well. Oh no!!!

Jan 21, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #11 of 21
hmm i actually think that thread works quite well, i think it really points out that top tier stuff isnt always automatically what is best out there for you. for lucozade the custom 3 was what worked best even though its not classified as being one of the very best available.

Jan 21, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #12 of 21
Well, I don't disagree with your point, considering I favor the W2 over the UM3X. But my point was don't make a decision based on one person's POV. I had the Custom-3s, as you know, and would not rate them among even some of the second-tier IEMs I've had. Again, just one person's POV.

Jan 21, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #13 of 21
oh i agree no one should ever buy based on one persans preferences but its always nice to see a few things compared to each other all at once.

i can see why he liked the kc3 though, ive always really liked it too (once it has olives on it) if only it didint have that god awful cable on it.

Jan 22, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #14 of 21
Thanks for all the advice guys! I am really considering the W2, probably as the front runner right now. But I wish I could get my hands on the IE8 and SE530 to do some extended listening. It is good to remember there is no holy grail iem!

Totally open to any more feedback!

Jan 22, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #15 of 21
Try the IE8 if you really liked the IE7 but wanted better treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back