from ER*6i to ?
Nov 23, 2009 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

brown274

100+ Head-Fier
Coming from the ER*6I, I love the highs on these. I want some more mids and some bass. I have narrowed down between the SE530 & IE7. I really like the fact that the IE7 can be had for $199 on Amazon.
I listen to pop, rock, bluegrass, classical, rap, punk, country.

I guess I like brighter than warmer, but I play bass guitar so I like the thumping also.

Please just comment on the 530's or IE7's. I really don't wanna hear about JH, Westone, UE, ect....Thanks

Nov 23, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 14
Hi Brown274.

I was in the same situation as you. I still have my ER6is (see signature) but was looking for a pair of IEMs to complement them for the same reasons you are looking at new ones. For reference to my comments: I listen to a lot of classical, 50s-60s jazz, and pre-1995 rock/punk stuff.

I first tried the SE530. But coming from the Etymotics, I found the treble roll-off to be too boring. With symphonic works, this really made you want to crank the volume to excess. I recently got the IE7 and am pretty happy so far. The stock tips that come with the IE7s really suck, but the Comply T400 tips are comfy.

What I like about the IE7 (just my opinions here):
• They have more treble extension than the SE530
• They have more mid and low range warmth and punch than with the ETYs (with rock, the drums are more pronounced)
• The bass is full but not muddy or overpowering and you can really hear it with low volumes
• Also, although the IE7 are much lighter than the SE530, they feel more far more durable

I hope this helps.

Nov 23, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 14
I know you suggested to stay away from other models aside from the SE530 and the IE7, but have you considered staying with the Etymotic brand?

The ER4's are my favorite IEM that I currently own. The SE530 just sound, well, plain. In order to hear the dynamic range the ER4's can reproduce at low volumes, I find myself having to crank up the SE530's to high volumes. Additionally, the ER4's have a much cleaner, more articulate, and enjoyable sound.

Hope this is still applicable to your thread,
Russ

Nov 23, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 14
Well, I haven't tried the ER6i's, but I will tell you that the ER4's bass is more controlled and defined then the SE530's. The SE530's can hit lower notes, and have a bit more *oomph* to them, but I'm rarely left craving more.

To quote your signature, "Twice as much, ain't twice as good"

Nov 23, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by AVDweeb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To quote your signature, "Twice as much, ain't twice as good"

LoL, ^^^Double the money does not always mean double the performance.

Nov 23, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 14
Hi again.

If I can put my two cents in again... I've owned the ER4p in the past and am always wanting to go back to them. I don't know why. I don't think that they are [that] much different from the ER6i, but there is something about the ER4 that definitely makes them a touch better.

In comparison with the IE7 though, I think they are still a bit light sounding without a warm source.

Nov 23, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #8 of 14
Seriously. I've marveled at the ability of the ER4's after becoming more critical of the headphones I use. I would highly recommend trying a pair, well sourced if possible.

For reference, I typically use my iPhone 3Gs or my MacBook Pro. The MBP gives enough power to use the P->S adapter, giving an even fuller sound. However, the sound out of the iPhone 3Gs is still more then sufficient.

As an added benefit, the people from Etynomic are the most amazing people I've had the pleasure of working with. They're extremely articulate and passionate, and will stop at nothing to insure the best customer experience. I can't say enough about them!

Nov 24, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #12 of 14
se530 are for 270$ atm, lol, dont take it if you are stupid
biggrin.gif
Amazon.com: Shure SE530 Sound Isolating Earphones: Electronics

Nov 24, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #13 of 14
The SE530 for that cost is not that unique in the U.S. (I got a pair over the summer for that price from B&H who is a certified reseller), but compared to EU where they are ridiculously overpriced....

I don't think anyone would be stupid for not snatching these up, especially when the resources can go towards a pair of headphones that they really want. In regards to this thread: If he wants something else (like the Etymotics) then it would not make much sense for him to buy the SE530, regardless of that price.

Quite frankly, I doubt that it would even be wise to buy them just to resell them in an attempt to make a couple bucks. In addition, you need to check the actual seller. Just because it is on Amazon doesn't mean that the seller is certified by Shure. With Shure's history of needing cable repairs, I wouldn't risk it.

Nov 24, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by brown274 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much more bass does the ER4P have? The reason I was looking for another brand was I always thought the Er were shy on bass.

as per Etymotic's own website Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER-4 - Which ER•4 is Right for You

Quote:

As compared to the ER•4S, the ER•4P has 10 dB greater output at high frequencies and 13 dB greater output at low frequencies. The higher sensitivity and enhanced bass of the ER•4P have made it the most popular earphone for most uses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back