From e3 to UM2
Sep 5, 2005 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

n00b

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, I was eyeing the new UM2s, and I was wondering if the small clear sleeves from the e3s would fit on them and still provide a good seal. Also, does anyone know how the highs compare on the UM2s to the e3s? The e3s had harsh highs, they actually hurt my ears. And also, does anyone know of someplace that sells UM2s with the universal IEM pouch for $250? The cheapest is 275 but it has that case could survive a nuclear holocaust..

Sep 6, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

And also, does anyone know of someplace that sells UM2s with the universal IEM pouch for $250?

From time to time, Head-Fi members may sell their old UM2 for about $250 or so, but new units are hard to find for less than $265 (for clear cables) or$299 (for black cables). The pouch comes with the black cabled model, but can be purchased for $5 if your cables are clear.

Sep 6, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 7
Is the UM2 anywhere near the Grado sound signature? I have MS-1s and I love them over my $135 e3s.. But I want something that's portable. I even bought a super mini moy to add some bass to the e3s and balance out the harshness of the highs, but it wasn't enough to justify the purchase. I'm thinking of selling my SMM and e3s and getting um2s, since IIRC they have only 12 ohms and can be easily driven and don't gain much from an amp anyway.. I listen to mainly hip hop with some rock so the um2 has to have full bass, detail in the highs for rock and mids for all the vocals in my rap and acoustic songs.. It might be too demanding for an IEM, but I'd think if it costs 2.5 times more than my MS-1s which I love, it should be able to do it.. Any opinions?

Sep 7, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Is the UM2 anywhere near the Grado sound signature?

Frankly, no. The Grados have a more punchy, driving sound (or at least the 325 does), even unamped, with a concise bass. The UM2 has more of a "creamy" sound that's more even and accurate; bass is generally richer along its full sonic range; detail is very good, but I'm not sure if it's the sound you're looking for.

Don't be anxious to spend your money quite yet.

IMO, your perfect IEM would be the ultra-costly UE10. You might be able to achieve a pleasing medium with the UM2 plus a good amp like the Xin Supermacro (which is going down in price soon).

Sep 7, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #7 of 7
Bah.. the most I'd be willing to pay would be for the e5c, then.. I just liked the UM2s because they were cheaper, smaller and would match an X5L if I got it. So UM2s wouldn't be good for hip-hop at all? I also want an IEM that would have bass (heck, I liked the MD-33s bass, but the mids and highs were blech) unamped.. I wanna pay 275 max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back