From AKG K319 to Sennheiser MX880, a good upgrade?
Oct 25, 2012 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MRK1

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone, long time lurker first time poster here.

My trusty old pair of AKG K319 has broken the other day, after 3 years of usage. I managed to repair them but now they are no longer portable because of my lame soldering work, so I'm looking for a worthy successor. I was thinking about the Sennheiser MX880, but there is only one thing that I might not like about them, that apparently they have very poor bass.

I'm not really a bass head but I like some "depth" and warmth to my electronic music, but I don't like muddy bass either because I also listen to Classical and opera, among other things, that would suffer from a muddy sounding earbud.

Do you think the MX880 have less bass than the K319? I kind of like the K319 very controller bass, it's there but it's not overpowering, but sometimes I feel it's still pretty weak, even with some equalizing. If the MX880 has the same amount or maybe a little more, I'd be more than satisfied. Anyone here who owned both? Having the two of them compared would be great.

I'm also open to other recomendations, but in my country the selection of brands is very limited (I'm from Italy), and many, such as the Yuin are impossible to find.

Oh, and one last thing, I really can't stand in-ear (ear canal) ones, so I must get a normal earbud.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 26, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 3
Oh well, I bought them anyway and received them today. First impressions are they sound a liiiiittle better than the K319, I think they have just a little bit more bass, clarity and stereo separation. Compared to the K319, the MX880 have vastly inferior build quality and volume control thingy. I actually stepped on the K319 once and the only problem they had afterwards was that the metal mesh on top of the drivers was a bit bent (which I could actually remove and restore to it's original shape), if it was plastic like the MX880 they would have shattered.

Of course they are not burned in because I've tried them for just around one hour now, maybe the overall sound will improve some more after a few days of use.

I actually don't believe it when I read stuff like "I heard instruments that I've never heard before with the old headphones", but with these I'm actually hearing some stereofonic background effects in certain songs a little more, and honestly this bothers me a little because I'm used to hearing everything more "centrally". In some songs these effects are mostly on one side and this gives me a weird feeling.

That is all for now.

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #3 of 3
How do they sound now that they've had four months of burn-in? Also, have you tried twisting the buds so that the sound is fired directly into your ear canal? Did you decide to keep the MX880, or did you choose a different earbud? The MX880 is actually my favorite out of all the headphones I've owned. I'm trying to find an upgrade from them, but I haven't been able to find a sound that I like more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back