From AD900, looking for headphones
Apr 25, 2010 at 7:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

flexium

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought a pair of AD900. The sound is good. Bass is enough for me, even though it is not enough for most people. However, I find that the ad900 drivers touching my ears very uncomfortable.

I am going to let them go soon. So I am looking for another set of headphones that can give me a more prominent treble sound and better comfort at around the same price. ($200-300) I guess I can go up to 400 too if needed
I really really like female vocals and classical sounds, though I do have other genres of music.

1. MUST be comfortable
2. MUST NOT be closed (hot = sweat)
3. details, high and mids
4. don't need that much bass at all.

I have read enough review about K702 is super sensitive about amp. I don't want something like that. I want cans that are more all-rounder.

I have this amp currently. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...dition-252802/ But I am looking for new dac also.

Sidenote: I am pretty happy with UM3x's sound too.

Apr 25, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #2 of 21
That's pretty rare problem with the AT phones, being so enormously huge sized earcups. The only other viable option i can think of is the DT880 32/250ohm Consumer, possibly has more depth in the earcups. Will be very good with your genres.

Apr 25, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #4 of 21
I used to be on the same boat with you (now) 2 years ago
The ear touching issue is annoying, but you can fix it simply with putting something soft between the pad and the metal housing. Search around for fat-pad mod (or fart-pad?
biggrin.gif
)
I used straws in my case, and they've worked fine until now.
About choosing something else, it was actually the K702 that I picked. And I never regret doing that. For me the bass on the ad900 is a bit much and fake. The K702 delivers less impact bass for sure, but it has its realistic feelings within, and the mid and soundstage are undeniable.
Amping them can be a pain, but it'd be less painful if you can do some diy. I built myself an M^3 + 627/637. Obviously the K702 were very happy with its new mate.

And btw, I have the um3x as well
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 21
Thanks guys. I actually couldn't find fat-pad mod. I did try to cut up a straw to 5 pieces and put in under the ear pad and that helps a little bit.

What does it mean to put a spacer in ad900? Where can I get that?

The problem is not with the overall size of the earcup but the earcup does not have enough depth (too flat or thin).

Apr 25, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 21
I had that problem too initially, I got used to it in one-two weeks!
Have the K701 right now, they have less bass impact in comparison, but the mids and highs are more neutral. The AD900 have a somewhat coloured sound.

Apr 25, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 21
Hmm some people suffer like you. I happen to have no issues with the AD900. Can we make sure you're wearing them correctly, that is that your ear is towards the back and slightly above the centre? For the phat mod, you could try some nylon tubing which you can easily buy at your local hardware store, usually in the watering section [hoses, sprinklers etc].

I can't think of another headphone like the AD900 that doesn't require an amp.

Apr 25, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #8 of 21
+1 . Make sure your ear is nearly touching the back of the pads, thats the best way. With your current amp, the AD900 would be the best... rest of the good upgrades require good amping.

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #9 of 21
YAY...the straw works to add some extra distance to make it more comfortable!

I would still prefer some tubing because the straws might fall out but straws are free!

While I am at it, can you guys recommend some desktop dac for my setup @ about $200 range?? Don't want DIY tho.
just want a clean, neutral way to transfer music from computer to headphones.
I need something has multiple input and output, just to future proof.
What I am saying is I want a dac that I don't have to replace in the near future even if I upgrade my headphones one more step (~$500 range I would guess).

Apr 27, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #11 of 21
I have the same discomfort problem with the 900s, but found that repositioning them sort of fixed it up (cause I couldn't be bothered modding, lol). Still, I wanted a 'better' 900, and jumped to the Alessandro MS-Pros, which IMO does just about everything better than it, except the soundstage, which is smaller.

Apr 27, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #13 of 21
To me, it is, haha. It feels lighter and the supra-aural pads don't bug me at all.

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by flexium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ TRANCE
OOOO $400...out of range. Is it that good? Is there a cheaper alternative?

Put it this way, the DacMagic is all you will ever need. So no need to upgrade even if you go up to $1000+ phones
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #15 of 21
Guess what? AD900 sounded better without the little amp. From the little amp, the vocal sounded really far away for some reason. Probably due to the enhanced bass.

I am not sure why that is the case, because UM3x works quite well with the cmoy. It actually makes the sound from UM3x much more complete. and involving? if that is the right word.

well anyway, the lesson here is amping randomly does not improve your sound. In my case, it even muffles the vocal. But AD900 is fantastic just straight out of my laptop. The bass is very close to the level that I was looking for when I was doing research for new cans.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am thinking now that the bottleneck of my system right now should be the source right? Because I am using onboard sound card?

Where do you think my audio bottleneck is? Would adding a dac, such as dacmagic, improve my sound without changing it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back