Friend Suspended - What's Your Take
May 4, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #61 of 64
your friend did nothing wrong, the school asked him to stop recruiting, so he did, he refused to sign people up in school, which is what they asked of him, and he set something up to set everything up outside of school, still within what the school asked of him.

i guess i could see if they said it was a form of recruiting to set something up outside of school while he was at school, but even still, a 3 day suspension is harsh

claiming that he was a potential threat is a big claim, your friend has every right to go after the school with full force to get this off his record, that statement on his record is slander, and in the current environment will effect his ability to go off to college and possibly in getting a job in the future.

the problem is that people don't know where to start with this whole situation, they just don't know how to react, or what to do if something like this were to happen again, and sadly enough, there really isn't a lot they can do short of turning the school into a prison with metal detectors at every door along with a guard. sadly enough, things like this will happen from time to time, its just the nature of life, its a harsh way to look at it, but plain and simple, its the truth

May 4, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #62 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Moral of the story: Teachers just cannot and willnot admit that they are wrong. They like to jump to conclusions, and normally do not let believe a word you say.

That's not really fair. I'm a teacher (although I work elsewhere for the time being), and I'm clearly on the side of this student in this case, as would be many of my former colleagues.

--Chris

May 4, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #63 of 64
Quote:

Moral of the story: Teachers just cannot and willnot admit that they are wrong. They like to jump to conclusions, and normally do not let believe a word you say.

It's not just unfair. It's an utterly ridiculous, sweeping generalization, more commonly know as a stereotype.

As alway in these high drama threads, we only get one side.

May 4, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #64 of 64
Does anyone else see the sad irony in this situation?

Schools have to be ultra-conservative in anything that can be perceived as a threat in order to cover their backsides from possible lawsuits. So now a student gets punished for a minor infraction, gets upset about the penalty and brings (or threatens) legal action against the school, which is exactly what the school wanted to avoid in the first place.

It's a vicious circle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back