Fried Chicken in 1887
Jul 28, 2015 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
So I am reading the Whitehouse Cookbook 1887 and there is a basic recipe of fried chicken. The recipe is pretty much the same as today's recipe but instead, it tells the reader to fry the chicken in lard and butter.

Then when the chicken is cooked, remove the chicken and add flour and cream or milk to the browned bits at  the bottom of the pan and stir to make a creamy gravy. 

At the end, the fatty creamy white gravy is added to the lard fried chicken. I love it ! Anything fried should be done with lard and butter! I love these old style recipes that are pro lard, cream and butter. Delicious! 

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #2 of 6
If you're going to fry something, I see no reason to hold back. Lard, butter, cream et al have gotten a bad rap.

It's the unrestrained eating that's really unhealthy. Moderation would be a much better way to stay healthy. Of course, that takes willpower which I personally find in short supply...

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 6
Yeah I agree.

Also back then people did not eat fried foods that often. I imagine fried foods was rare or at least not as common today so ya might as well and go with the best! Lard rules! Butter is my life!

Interestingly, if you look at old American cook books from the 1800s and pre 1940, oil is rarely mentioned. It's bacon grease, lard and butter that is dominant and people were skinnier back then. So yeah, I'm pro lard! I also never trim away the fat on my pork chops too because fat is my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back