fried bar-na-nas (mofongo)
Aug 15, 2011 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

buffalowings

Went way too far, too many times.
post your favorite recipes for mofongo! 

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #3 of 15
Looks lethal.

Must update my stash of Quick-Eze........

Still, must be better than those fried perderders.........

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #4 of 15
I've never heard of Mofongo, but I love Pisang Goreng: fried battered banana.

Aug 20, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 15
Mofongo is made with plantains, mine aren't traditional but are lighter and healthier (than the regular Puerto-Rican version) because I don't fry them. I peel and boil the plantains, then puree them in a food processor with some roasted garlic and enough vegetable stock to make it flow, salt, a little cumin and Tabasco or whatever, and some fresh herbs, usually oregano. Some chili peppers would be nice now that I think about it. Then I scoop them onto a sheet pan in balls and spray them with garlic oil. Bake at 375f until golden brown, people seem to enjoy them.

Aug 20, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
Mofongo is made with plantains, mine aren't traditional but are lighter and healthier (than the regular Puerto-Rican version) because I don't fry them. I peel and boil the plantains, then puree them in a food processor with some roasted garlic and enough vegetable stock to make it flow, salt, a little cumin and Tabasco or whatever, and some fresh herbs, usually oregano. Some chili peppers would be nice now that I think a bout it. Then I scoop them onto a sheet pan in balls and spray them with garlic oil. Bake at 375f until golden brown, people seem to enjoy them.

Mofongo mania is starting to emerge...............

Quote:
I like bánh chuối hấp (steamed banana cake) with lots of coconut milk... can buy it freshly made from near where wink lives (so I wont need his quick-eze!).

I have a workmate who keeps wanting me to got to Cabra for a meal at Dong Ba. I've had yum cha meals a few times and enjoyed them.
Chicken feet was a pass for me, who has had pig's trotter chowder quite a few times........
It's a cultural thing...........................

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #8 of 15

Quote:

Mofongo mania is starting to emerge...............

I have a workmate who keeps wanting me to got to Cabra for a meal at Dong Ba. I've had yum cha meals a few times and enjoyed them.
Chicken feet was a pass for me, who has had pig's trotter chowder quite a few times........
It's a cultural thing...........................

Havent been to Dong Ba for a while... anyway I'll eat just about anything, but yeh, I can see why some people dont like chicken feet.

Aug 21, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
Havent been to Dong Ba for a while... anyway I'll eat just about anything, but yeh, I can see why some people dont like chicken feet.

Maybe they're just not up to scratch.....    tee hee   !

Aug 24, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
Plantain based Mofongo is great! when I lived in Ponce, PR I ate mofongo made with "yuca" and IMO it is even better.

hey, that's where I first tried mofongo, this summer when we went on vacation in puerto rico

Aug 24, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #12 of 15
Puerto Rico is a great country, awesome scenery, awesome food, and awesome looking ladies! 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 Hope my wife does not see this thread. 
wink.gif

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
Puerto Rico is a great country, awesome scenery, awesome food, and awesome looking ladies! 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 Hope my wife does not see this thread. 
wink.gif

Agreed completely on PR, great history and culture as well. Hopefully she doesn't see your avatar either 
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back