Friday: MDR-R10 / ATH-W2002 comparison!
Jan 9, 2002 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

M Rael

500+ Head-Fier
Yes its true. On Friday I will have a chance to personally compare the Sony R10 and the W2002 side by side. How you ask? Well during a conversation with some audio salespeople today it came out that one of their customers had a 'funny pair of wood Sony's', this comment was followed by a loud *thunk* (sound of my jaw dropping to the floor.) -and mind you I live in pretty small town, so it was a shock. Anyway I just got off the phone with the guy and sure enough he has the R10. In fact he said his serial number is #0158 (he offered that info himself; it wasnt like I was interrogating him!) He got them after they had been shown at a CES show in the late 80's and has been loving them ever since. He's a really friendly person and he suggested we get together Friday afternoon. He'll bring his R10s and I'll have my W2002's.

Sounds like fun!

p.s. I'm also buying kwkarths CD3000's for this guy (his name is Oliver) ..kwkarth? Do you still have them?? Oliver doesnt use the internet very much at all and had no idea there was a group of people sharing headphone interests on the net.

Little did he know......

Jan 9, 2002 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 42
Quote:

Battle of the woodies, how exciting! Looking forward to reading about it.

sounds like a gay kung-fu **** flick.

not that there's anything wrong with that.

looking forward to hearing your reviews!

Jan 10, 2002 at 12:14 AM Post #4 of 42
Quote:

this comment was followed by a loud *thunk*

I seriously thought there for a moment that the guy on the other side of the phone had dropped his R10s onto the floor.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 10, 2002 at 12:49 AM Post #6 of 42
Awesome! This is the sort of review that should be on pay-per-view!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 10, 2002 at 1:52 AM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Awesome! This is the sort of review that should be on pay-per-view!

For the most part I'm a hopeless dunce at reviewing. But for an occasion like this I'm going to make a special effort. I'll also bring my digital camera of course, and I'll post a load of pictures on my W2002 website as well as a few here. Keep in mind that my sonic verbalizations will never be Class A. I admire people who can say things like that a certain component has a 'wheat-like' coloration, or that another contains Descartes-esque artifacts in the midrange. But bear with me and I'll try to do a good job.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2002 at 2:01 AM Post #9 of 42
What music are you planning to audition w/?

Jan 10, 2002 at 2:33 AM Post #10 of 42
I've been waiting for one of these reviews for a long time, and I'm sure everyone else has been too. This could be one of the best reviews that Head-Fi will ever have, and could be the only time these 2 phones are directly compared in a review. Maybe we should send a whole team of head-fizers to compare these phones?
wink.gif
M Rael, you truly are a lucky guy!

Jan 10, 2002 at 2:43 AM Post #11 of 42
You are not allowed to declare the ATH 2002 to be better than the R10's.

markl

Jan 10, 2002 at 2:58 AM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
You are not allowed to declare the ATH 2002 to be better than the R10's.

markl

lol
biggrin.gif

and why would that be??
very_evil_smiley.gif

I seriously doubt there is a "better". I would bet that they are both excellent headphones but may differ slightly from each other in some respects.

I too am awaiting the review though!!

Jan 10, 2002 at 5:10 AM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
What music are you planning to audition w/?

Thats a really good question, and I've been thinking about it.
I'll for sure bring something specific for the bass, mids, and treble.. I have a Stephen Stills CD with the song 'Treetop Flyer', and it has a great guitar and vocal sound on it, so thats coming. I have a Japanese flute (shakuhachi) CD that has a small airplane flying over by accident on one of the tracks, so I'll use that for resolution and how convincing a live feel the flute has in the midrange. I'll also bring some bass heavy rock, of which I have merely a couple of hundred examples of, and see how things sort out. I'll also need to dig up some female vocal stuff.. maybe a binaural CD, some early Jackson 5, the Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Nick Drake, Joni Mitchell, Nina Hagen, Jimi Hendrix, Frank Sinatra, Glen Gould, GooGoo Dolls, Oingo Boingo, Sex Pistols.. uh, I wonder if this guy with the R10's realized I was intending to make a day out of it.
Actually we will only have a short time this first go around. So yeah, I want to bring some music I know pretty well. I'm still buzzing from discovering there were a pair of R10's in town. You could have knocked me over with a feather when I heard about it. This same R10 guy has an early earmax headphone amp he says is gathering dust, so I'll go investigate that amp on Head-Fi, maybe make him an offer or something.

Jan 10, 2002 at 5:14 AM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by M Rael
I have a Stephen Stills CD with the song 'Treetop Flyer', and it has a great guitar and vocal sound on it, so thats coming.

oh man, budgie played that song on the $65,000 reference system that was at the audio shop we had the head-fi meet in! I'll always love that song...
smily_headphones1.gif

great choice BTW, that sounded like a great recording. and of course, the music is supurb.

Jan 10, 2002 at 5:28 AM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
oh man, budgie played that song on the $65,000 reference system that was at the audio shop we had the head-fi meet in! I'll always love that song...
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, I remember hearing it over the radio by chance while I was painting at a house. I dropped everything I was doing and hovered by the radio until they announced the name of the song and then went out and bought the CD that same day. That must have been what.. 10 years ago?

I could
be a rambler from the southern dial
dont pay taxes
cause' I never file
Dont do business
that dont
make me smile
I love my aeroplane
cause' she got style
I'm a treetop flyer

And an incredible guitar/miking technique. Love it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back