Fresh PPA sound
Aug 31, 2004 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Juergen

100+ Head-Fier
I just completed a PPA with one OPA633 per channel. On first listen it sounds harsh and lacking in bass to me (also when I switch to HA3-5002s). I realize that it needs to burn in for a while so that may be normal. I am used to my XCanV2 tube amp. I have only listened for less than an hour between the two buffer sets. I guess it's too early to judge. Does the sound change after 5 hours, ten hours .....? If it matters, I am listening with a HD600/Zu Mobius and the rest of my gear is in my profile.

Aug 31, 2004 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 9
"Harsh" and "lacking in bass" sound to me more like problems in your amp than something burn-in will take care of. (Not gonna even approach any sort of amp burn-in debate
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I'd double-check your solder joints, make sure you've got the bass boost circuit either included or jumpered (but not open), make sure R3G isn't installed by mistake, etc. It's possible you just missed something subtle but easy to fix that's screwing with things.

Aug 31, 2004 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 9
Last night I listened for a whole half hour
eek.gif
Everything sounded great, go figure. I really haven't had any time lately to spend listening so every time I try it's rushed. I just need to relax.

Aug 31, 2004 at 1:25 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juergen
Last night I listened for a whole half hour
eek.gif
Everything sounded great, go figure. I really haven't had any time lately to spend listening so every time I try it's rushed. I just need to relax.

That'll do it too
smily_headphones1.gif
Give yourself an evening to sit down and really listen closely to the amp. By then you'll have a good idea of how it's performing.

Sep 1, 2004 at 12:54 AM Post #7 of 9
What op-amps are you using in that PPA, Juergen?

Sep 1, 2004 at 2:11 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent
What op-amps are you using in that PPA, Juergen?

I've got OPA627s. I will be using the Intersil buffers until I get some heat sinks for the 633s, they get real hot (takes the term 'burn-in' to a new level
tongue.gif
). As soon as Glassman's second batch of Diamond buffers are ready I will probably go that route.

Sep 1, 2004 at 9:04 AM Post #9 of 9
For AD8620, the sound change significantly after 15 hours burn in (now it is even better). So Op-Amp does benefit from burn in. Previously the treble sounds harsh and sharp. Now much smoother, no more harsh and sharp treble.

I hear significant changes only on the treble, the bass and mid seems only sounds a little bit better.

You can see my short review here:
http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.ph...pic=2571&st=30

But I'm not sure about OPA627

Users who are viewing this thread

Back