Fresh AKG K701 sounds congested
Mar 16, 2007 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

Balisarda

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

A year and an amp ago I bought a K701, but I didn't love it, so I returned it. Having grown curious to hear its sound again, I ordered another pair, which arrived last night. Today I listened to it for about an hour but found it very congested, as if I were listening to my music through three pipes, one right channel, one center channel, and one left channel.

I know everyone says the K701 needs a lot of burn-in, up to several hundred hours. My question to those with K701 experience is: does burn-in resolve the congestion?

(By comparison, my defoamed HD 650 with Equinox cable sounds very open and natural.)

Thanks,
Eric.

Mar 16, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 84
Thats the exact gist. Majority of the issues you could have with it will be resolved...the preference ones might not be ^.^

Mar 16, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 84
Yep, burn-in helps a lot with this one. I refute claims of hundreds or thousands of hours before it resolved those out-of-box issues though. Mine went from harsh treble and weak bass to snappy, punchy and butter smooth within about 25 hours. Anything after that, if anything, was too miniscule to appreciate.

Incidentally, I "burn-in" by listening.

[EDIT] I should point out that a curious thing happened when the phones were breaking in. The bass disappeared at one point. I mean almost completely. No impact, no quantity. Almost nothing. Don't panic, it comes back.

Mar 16, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 84
Thank you everyone for your feedback! It's a great reassurance to hear from those with experience!

Mar 16, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 84
I bought mine used so I can't comment in regards to change due to burn-in but I can say this: The K701s are incredibly open sounding. I mean "congested" is exactly what they are not. Even though I absolutely love my DT990s and considering selling my K701s, I still prefer the AKGs for classical music. Especially full orchestra classical music. Paired with my Darkvoice they are simply delicious.

Mar 16, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #9 of 84
Unfortunately, it never goes away completely. Burn in will help compared to how they sound new. That's one of the biggest issues I had. The sound always felt like it was covered in a pair of socks or something. Very hard to explain, but they are great for the money and do other things very well.

It's just that my K-1000s and GS-1000s did the same but with the socks taken off at a much higher price
blink.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #10 of 84
I don't think I liked any of my gear very much straight out of the box. Give it a good 50-100 hours. If you still don't like them, then I doubt more burn it will be the answer -- i.e., I think by that point you will hear the central character of the phone to determine if you like it, despite whatever, if any, changes may occur due to further use.

Mar 16, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #11 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think I liked any of my gear very much straight out of the box. Give it a good 50-100 hours. If you still don't like them, then I doubt more burn it will be the answer -- i.e., I think by that point you will hear the central character of the phone to determine if you like it, despite whatever, if any, changes may occur due to further use.

If he belive in burn in he schould give it at least 300h, I have never heard anyone saing that they become much better after 50-100h, some even says that they become worse after about 100h and later on opens up.

Mar 16, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #12 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, it never goes away completely. Burn in will help compared to how they sound new. That's one of the biggest issues I had. The sound always felt like it was covered in a pair of socks or something. Very hard to explain, but they are great for the money and do other things very well.

It's just that my K-1000s and GS-1000s did the same but with the socks taken off at a much higher price
blink.gif

Are we talking about the K701 veil now!!
icon10.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #14 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are we talking about the K701 veil now!!
icon10.gif

lol Grate-0, Sennheisser veil, AKG socks?

I agree with those above 150 hours + definately will make a noticeable difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back