Frequent headbanging on Sony MDR Z1R?
Aug 16, 2018 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ghaunty22

100+ Head-Fier
Hello. Looking to move from HD600 to the Z1R for all general purpose listening.

Will the insides of these headphones be damaged from long term headbanging? That is being exposed to the sudden forces with headbanging. I ask because by the sounds they have delicate high precision insides, like it's acrostic filter is made of canadian softwood pulp.

Finally do the Z1R fall off head or slip a bit? My HD600s don't even budge & my DT990 has a slight less clamping force but still stays firm.

thanks

Aug 16, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #2 of 7
try before you buy
18E47FB0-7941-465B-828A-6FEE1CA095C3.jpeg

The sheer metal emotion has even caused folk to jump out of windows and run headlong into walls.

Always listen carefully.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #3 of 7
try before you buy

The sheer metal emotion has even caused folk to jump out of windows and run headlong into walls.

Always listen carefully.

If i could try i wouldn't ask, not practical in this day and age. You seem to own these so can you say about the clamping force or anything that might give me some idea?

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #4 of 7
1DF9CD1A-EB99-47B0-B7AD-86A03685DEBC.jpeg
If i could try i wouldn't ask, not practical in this day and age. You seem to own these so can you say about the clamping force or anything that might give me some idea?

They have the perfect clamping amount. They are actually much more low weight than they look. There just made out of material which lends itself to being low weight. The weight helps the headphones from having force which would cause it to drop off your head.

You have to remember these headphones... the Z1R or even the Z7 and maybe the Z7MK2 put out a substantial amount of bass. So much that the whole headphone can vibrate. If your thinking that the movement of your head is going to rattle the insides more, it’s simply not. This stuff inside is all pinned down for that matter.

If your asking if you can drink a 12 pack then headbang like at a Metallica concert? I don’t know what to tell you as there may be only some feather weight $100 headphones which would stay in place due to clamping factors?

The Z1R has holes in which your entire ear goes into. You ear is surrounded by thin leather which holds the headphones on in normal listening, besides the weight of the headband on the top of your head. So it’s this even distributional weight and low weight which makes them one of the easiest to wear heaphones.

With the correct amping and source the Z1R will give you a breathtaking view into the center of the Heavy Metal universe. You may be so in awe that you stand or sit there motionless witnessing life and nature pass before your eyes.

That or just headbang on carpet, so if they fall, they don’t get hurt. Another heaphone is the Sony Z7MK2. They will be out in September or November at around $700. They are said to be a big improvement from the original Z7. I have the Z7 and it’s great with metal.

So there is another alternative, yet be advised, few have heard the Z7MK2.

But..... in reality you should get the Z1R and simply deal with it. It’s one of the best or maybe the best Metal headphone.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks.

Some thoughts. That much bass might be too much for me with alot of EDM as they put so much bass in that music it rather overpowers all the other stuff. Which is why i like older trance.
By the sounds they would be great for movies.

My DAC/amp unit is a NFB10 if that means anything. Hoping i can just use that instead of getting anothet setup.

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks.

Some thoughts. That much bass might be too much for me with alot of EDM as they put so much bass in that music it rather overpowers all the other stuff. Which is why i like older trance.
By the sounds they would be great for movies.

My DAC/amp unit is a NFB10 if that means anything. Hoping i can just use that instead of getting anothet setup.

Nope, pretty much everything sounds great especially EDM and Metal. The first three days will be strange as your brain is adapting, but after that it’s surprising how great the headphone is. People complained about the Z7 and you can hear, Sony went on correction mode, basically taking the Z7 compression in the midrange and expanding the midrange out into a soundstage with detailed elements. The bass in the Z7 is deep but it’s in a focused area, where the Z1R has the bass as this omnipresent clear ambient bass. For whatever reason the vocals with the Z1R seemed to take the back seat for the first 30 days, though now vocals seem perfect. IMO

You have to remember your fear of bass bleeding into the other details comes from other headphones; lesser headphones. The Z1R has bass but it displays almost like room effect. The bass never covers up any detail, that’s the magic. The bass is like this clear presence which still has detail and imaging inside.

Don’t know about the combo with your amp, but there has to be people with the amp and Z1R out there? You could post a question in your amp thread here on Head-Fi.

The MUC-B20SB1 is also a big improvement, but you will need 4.4mm balanced to use it. There may be a 1/4 inch that would work with your amp or maybe you could use 4 pin XLR........basically any way to get a balanced signal to them with a Kimber cable helps take the Z1R to the next level.

I would definitely try to stick with your current amp. But it takes time to get used to the sound. The first six hours is a little bewildering as the headphone is different.

Also the Z1R was kind of a sleeper in the community as Sony had put out some headphones but none were respected like the old R-10. So Sony kind of had an uphill battle to regain audiophile acceptance. In the time of release 2016, Sony had very little respect so the Z1R had some polarized reviews. Slowly they kinda caught on.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #7 of 7
Nope, pretty much everything sounds great especially EDM and Metal. The first three days will be strange as your brain is adapting, but after that it’s surprising how great the headphone is. People complained about the Z7 and you can hear, Sony went on correction mode, basically taking the Z7 compression in the midrange and expanding the midrange out into a soundstage with detailed elements. The bass in the Z7 is deep but it’s in a focused area, where the Z1R has the bass as this omnipresent clear ambient bass. For whatever reason the vocals with the Z1R seemed to take the back seat for the first 30 days, though now vocals seem perfect. IMO

You have to remember your fear of bass bleeding into the other details comes from other headphones; lesser headphones. The Z1R has bass but it displays almost like room effect. The bass never covers up any detail, that’s the magic. The bass is like this clear presence which still has detail and imaging inside.

Don’t know about the combo with your amp, but there has to be people with the amp and Z1R out there? You could post a question in your amp thread here on Head-Fi.

The MUC-B20SB1 is also a big improvement, but you will need 4.4mm balanced to use it. There may be a 1/4 inch that would work with your amp or maybe you could use 4 pin XLR........basically any way to get a balanced signal to them with a Kimber cable helps take the Z1R to the next level.

I would definitely try to stick with your current amp. But it takes time to get used to the sound. The first six hours is a little bewildering as the headphone is different.

Also the Z1R was kind of a sleeper in the community as Sony had put out some headphones but none were respected like the old R-10. So Sony kind of had an uphill battle to regain audiophile acceptance. In the time of release 2016, Sony had very little respect so the Z1R had some polarized reviews. Slowly they kinda caught on.

Thanks again, good post!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back