Frequency
Sep 1, 2004 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geise
...What exactly is the discussion..? :\

I don't know what the discussion is, but his information is good. So many people don't know this and it bugs the hell out of me. People refer to incorrect frequency ranges constantly here and on other audio boards. Male vocals start far lower than most people believe and female vocals trail off much lower than most people believe. I may argue about low bass a bit, as I believe (in most rooms at least) direcionality doesn't start for a while more than the 40hz you have listed. Perhaps more bass categories are needed... "sub bass (inaudible or mostly inaudible)", "non-directional bass", "upper-bass" I think does the job better.

-dd3mon

Sep 1, 2004 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 7
Yupp, this is more useful than you might think at first.

As a live sound engineer, you wouldn't believe what some of the things people don't understand. Just the other day at my church, I had someone ask me what feedback was...and this was a volunteer sound board operator!
rolleyes.gif

Sep 1, 2004 at 2:33 AM Post #6 of 7
This is actually extremely closely related to the thread I started in the members' lounge and frequency and instruments. Anyone care to chime in on what instruments would go in what frequency range (for example guitar, male vocals, female vocals, bass drum, snare, cymbals, etc.)? Specifically, what instruments would be in low mids (160-320)?

I hope this is closely enough related to not be a thread-jack. If it is a thread-jack, please post in my thread in the members' lounge.

Sep 1, 2004 at 5:37 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geise
Just curious, what exactly is feedback?
smily_headphones1.gif
(not kidding, I really don't know)

Well, in the simplest sense, when you have a set of speakers and a microphone, feedback is when the microphone is able to pick up the sound from the speakers, because of hiss, or background noise, or the source that the microphone is picking up. The sound picked up by the mic is amplified, sent to the speakers, picked up by the mic again, amplified, and so on and so on.

Feedback almost always is a problem in live sound reinforcement, but only really becomes terribly noticeable when the gain (or volume boost) of a microphone or many of them is too high. You'll hear a wail like sound, usually in the upper-midrange to upper-treble. It is a very narrow frequency, almost a resonance, if you will. Feedback can cause a nasal like sound, a ringing noise, or a constant wail, depending upon how severe it is.

Some amplifiers use controlled feedback to cancel out distortion or enhance the sound. This is another type of feedback loop, but the principle is the same. In this case it would be analogous to hooking up the recording input of a tape recorder to the playback output.

Well I hope that answers your question
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back