Frequency = ?
Apr 7, 2005 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

deep3lue

New Head-Fier
Hi, first of all I would like to say that I'm here for the first time if this query has been posted, do pardon me.

Secondly, this forum has been a great guide for me on what earphones/headphones to get. Thanks a lot everyone!

Okay, on to the actual question. I just bought a Sony EX81 and from the specs, it stated it's frequency range is 5-23000. My previous Sony earphones the EX71 has the range 6-23000. Now I'm very curious regarding the 'drop' from 6 to 5. What effect or good does the difference have?

Also, Sony Noise Cancelling earphones has a 9mm diameter size whereas Panasonic has some at 11.5. I know another which is 15mm. Now, same question, does it matter what size are they and which is better bigger or smaller?

Thanks for answering this few questions!

Apr 7, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #2 of 4
Sorry i cant help you with the diameter thing.

But about the frequency. Humans, as far as i know, can only hear up to as deep as 20hz so the 5 or 6 should not make any difference at all.

Apr 7, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by deep3lue
Also, Sony Noise Cancelling earphones has a 9mm diameter size whereas Panasonic has some at 11.5. I know another which is 15mm. Now, same question, does it matter what size are they and which is better bigger or smaller?

i assume you're talking about driver diameter... size of the driver can make a difference. but not with the cans you're talking about. all the sony NC earphones i've heard are crap, and i have yet to hear a panasonic headphone that's worth a dollar more than free.

Apr 7, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by deep3lue
What effect or good does the difference have?

None, it is just marketing gimmick. Manufacturers usually state wide frequency ranges for all type of earphones/headphones/canal phones but companies like Sony usually takes advantage of the term "Frequency response" and just lists a response range, but not at what SPL. I guarantee you that for any earphone/headphone the 6 Hz is at a -20 dB roll-off so you won't be able to hear it well, while say 1 kHz would be earbleedingly loud even IF humans could hear 6 Hz.

Quote:

No, size doesn't detemine sound. It also has to do about the mass of the membrane, cone shape etc.

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back