Frequency response range
May 8, 2022 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ronengeller

New Head-Fier
Hi, are all dacs and phones or sources especially on streaming have unlimited frequency response range? For example if a headphone can do 10hz-35khz will it be reproduced unless it’s capped of by the producer? and if there is a high frequency filter present in a dac how can I know? And is the apple dongle able to reproduce those frequencies?

May 8, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 9
Hi, are all dacs and phones or sources especially on streaming have unlimited frequency response range? For example if a headphone can do 10hz-35khz will it be reproduced unless it’s capped of by the producer? and if there is a high frequency filter present in a dac how can I know? And is the apple dongle able to reproduce those frequencies?

The human hearing range is 20 Hz to 20 kHz, and that is assuming perfect hearing. Hearing at the higher frequencies tends to be lost with increasing age, due to physiological reasons (presbycusis), or sometimes due to leisure/occupational noise exposure, so in practice, the hearing range is lesser than the above quoted values.

A lot of these IEMs and sources claim FR above the extremes of human hearing, it is a marketing gimmick actually.

May 8, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 9
Almost all dacs produce at least 20hz-20000hz , some of which may boast an even wider range of frequencies, which as stated above is a marketing gimmick. 20hz-20000Hz is enough for every human being on the planet, which 99% of dacs will support.

May 9, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #4 of 9
The human hearing range is 20 Hz to 20 kHz, and that is assuming perfect hearing. Hearing at the higher frequencies tends to be lost with increasing age, due to physiological reasons (presbycusis), or sometimes due to leisure/occupational noise exposure, so in practice, the hearing range is lesser than the above quoted values.

A lot of these IEMs and sources claim FR above the extremes of human hearing, it is a marketing gimmick actually.

Almost all dacs produce at least 20hz-20000hz , some of which may boast an even wider range of frequencies, which as stated above is a marketing gimmick. 20hz-20000Hz is enough for every human being on the planet, which 99% of dacs will support.
The Townsend supertweeter reproduces up to 80khz and it’s known to improve the perception of details and even bass this is why it could be important in a headphone too. I really wish all dacs would state the fr range

May 9, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #6 of 9
I think you've just made this up, can you give a source for that information? I'm quite certain it's literally inaudible so would make zero difference

How...?
http://www.townshendaudio.com/supertweeters/
I believe there are reviews also.
Basically it’s probably about perception even though we don’t hear it (and there is also a similar thing for 8.7 hz I believe

May 9, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #7 of 9
http://www.townshendaudio.com/supertweeters/
I believe there are reviews also.
Basically it’s probably about perception even though we don’t hear it (and there is also a similar thing for 8.7 hz I believe
Hmmm... I'm hoping someone else can add their own input rather than just my own which is admittedly lacking compared to some people on this website but that seems like a paid review and/or just marketing nonsense in my own personal opinion.

May 9, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #8 of 9
The Townsend supertweeter reproduces up to 80khz and it’s known to improve the perception of details and even bass this is why it could be important in a headphone too. I really wish all dacs would state the fr range

Good DACs worth buying do have complete specs. If the DAC specs are not published, that tells you everything you need to know about the DAC :wink:

Checking just now, I found Audeze rates the LCD-3 to 50 KHz which is kinda mind-boggling and unexpected (for me). I don't mean to say this headphone does something other headphones don't, just that's the one I checked after reading your post.

If you're interested, there's at least one website that has test tones where you can see how high or low you can hear. Please be careful and do not crank up the volume on sections which you can't hear, or you'll blow your brains out when they come into the audible range! Anyway, that might give you a sense of how much you can hear, and also how much you can feel.

Hmmm... I'm hoping someone else can add their own input rather than just my own which is admittedly lacking compared to some people on this website but that seems like a paid review and/or just marketing nonsense in my own personal opinion.

I don't have any answer but music is certainly felt, sound moves the air and you can feel bass etc. I wouldn't rule out the idea that sounds which are out of range of human hearing (either too low or too high) have some effect. Snake oil is not new to audiophiles but there are also surprising realities. So, let your ears and wallet be the judge :)

May 9, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #9 of 9
It's pretty simple actually.

Putting our hearing range aside first, there's couple ways to look at this.

Since CDs don't go above 20kHz, the tweeter shouldn't produce any sound above 20kHz, therefore it's ability to produce higher frequencies will not have any effects on CDs regardless of what frequency one can hear or feel.

On High-Res files, this will be a bit more complicated, but most sounds that do exceeds 20kHz are usually very quiet compared to the rest and is effectively inaudible, therefore it barely adds anything to the rest of the recording.

That's not to say the tweeter doesn't do anything though. It does produce frequency that is below 20kHz, and if your speaker system is lacking some mid-upper treble, adding these tweeters does help to refine the sound in that region.

Most sounds we hear from music are not pure tones, they contain harmonics that can be well into the treble range and beyond, a tweeter can help to reproduce these harmonics.

But yeah the 80kHz is definitely more a marketing spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back