Frequency response of LG KU990 Viewty vs. Apple iPod 5G
Apr 29, 2008 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

zeus_hunt

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Heres Frequency response of LG KU990 Viewty vs. Apple iPod 5G

a001sy6.png

Does'nt it look like LG has put some low frequency filter which suppresses the low frequencies (below 100Hz).

So do u think my Bass would suck ?
confused.gif

Apr 30, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 10
those are very strange results. the bass roll off of the ipod woul suggest that it is driving headphones not an amp or line but there is no way it should get as good stereo performance as it does here. nor dynamic range.

i have tested the 5g ipod and from its headphone out driving a line and driving phones and it got much different results from this.

the test seems strange. did you do these yourself or find them somewhere?

you can still enjoy the sound from a player without rmaa tests. listen to them and what one you prefer - stick with that.

i listened to many opinions before i purchase a player that i have now sold as i found it unnaceptable for my listening. later on, it did test very poorly with the headphones i listen to but... this test seems strange. like it is doing too many things at once but nothing at all.

Apr 30, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
those are very strange results. the bass roll off of the ipod woul suggest that it is driving headphones not an amp or line but there is no way it should get as good stereo performance as it does here. nor dynamic range.

i have tested the 5g ipod and from its headphone out driving a line and driving phones and it got much different results from this.

the test seems strange. did you do these yourself or find them somewhere?

@shigzeo I m not sure y you find this strange...
The green line is iPod which does not have a roll off at around 100Hz
The white line is LG

lgku990viewtyjk4.png

Heres a few more phones added..

audioprop1qx6.jpg

Quote:

In order to record the samples needed for analysis we use the M-Audio Fast Track Pro external audio interface, which has decent enough capabilities to allow testing even the most high-quality portable music players.

RightMark Audio Analyzer 6.0.5 (RMAA) software is used to do all the analyzing. First off, we use a calibration sound (generated by RMAA) in order to set the input levels right each time. Then we play a special test tone (again, generated by RMAA) which allows the software to evaluate the signal captured real time with the M-Audio Fast Track Pro.

Quote:

A high fidelity amplifier may be said to have a frequency response of 20 Hz - 20,000 Hz ±1 dB. This means that the system amplifies all bands from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz with a maximum positive or negative deviation from the straight line of only 1 dB. Larger deviations below 40 Hz or above 15 kHz are OK, since the human ear is unable to perceive those sounds.

What I m wondering is
Frequency response (40Hz to 15kHz), dB +0.29, -2.07
Noise level, dB (A) -86.8
Dynamic range, dB (A) 83.8
THD, % 0.020
IMD + Noise, % 0.0124
Stereo crosstalk, dB -86.6

Good enough ?

May 2, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wait, i dont really get it... so can someone tell me how we can tell whats a good quality sound from a phone and whats not?

Ideally it should a straight line on 0db from 20Hz to 20KHz
Spikes mean that some frequency has a greater gain than others

Got my RE2 today ... Bass is a little less on the phone...
Not enough power to drive the RE2 .. so the volume is a little less as well.

Now I think the next shopping is for a portable player
wink.gif

The spending is increasing
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeus_hunt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heres a few more phones added..
audioprop1qx6.jpg

The short answer is that all of those readings are for all intents and purposes identical. They're all excellent.

A flat response is desirable. If there is any breakup, it's best if it is under 3dB and in frequencies that don't matter as much, for instance above 15kHz. The iPod is good on both those counts. The bass rolloff in the LG is a little problematic, but it wouldn't be an issue for portable use. Only for serious home listening. It could probably be corrected with EQ.

See ya
Steve

May 9, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass rolloff in the LG is a little problematic, but it wouldn't be an issue for portable use. Only for serious home listening. It could probably be corrected with EQ.

See ya
Steve

Thanks for the answer.
Unfortunately.. LG does not provide a EQ.. (their software is no good
mad.gif
)
It was not able to drive RE2 to a satisfying volume...
rolleyes.gif

So I bought a iAudio7
biggrin.gif

I was here after the Review of RE2 at techpowerup

Head-Direct RE2 Earphones
Author: Frederik S
Date: Apr 2nd 2008

Its been just a month since I stumbled here on this site and I have spent $250 already
tongue.gif

My highest purchase before this on audio was $30 on a Creative earphone.

I hope my needs/wants end here (atleast for sometime)
tongue.gif

May 9, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #10 of 10
i did misread this: it is the lg that has the problem. but still, that cannot be the ipod driving heapdhones, it must be from the headphone out to the computer. which means that the lg cannot even drive an amp which is quite terrible indeed. if the ipod were plugged into headphones of 32 ohm or less, there should be bass roll off as well.

but the bumpy response - that could be strange. it happens with my m-audio transit but not my internal soundcard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back