Frequency response of AKG501
Mar 26, 2005 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Lithos

Head-Fier
graphCompare.php

I had nothing to do today so I played around with the frequency response graphs at HeadRoom.
Something that looked really freaky to me was that the frequency response of a AKG 501 nearly looks like that of an Orpheus. Freaky
eek.gif

My question is that if they nearly look the same will that mean that they have the same kind of sound?
k1000smile.gif

Mar 26, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 19
Hey, what a nice graph pairing!
tongue.gif

Well, it actually means that the frequency balance is pretty close aside from the treble and, more relatively, the low bass.
Unfortunately though, it doesn't really tell about the tonal quality of the concerned headphones.

Mar 26, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 19
And probably also won't sound the same because one has electrostatic drivers and the other has dynamic drivers.
mad.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 27, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 19
They may have similar characteristics in the mid's but look at the portion near the lows and the high's. AKG's drop off alot more near the lows compared with the orpheus. Mostlikely this will make a great deal of difference in comparison.

Mar 27, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 19
very interesting ... and yes, big time freaky ! Would be interesting to see if they sound similar between 100hz and 10khz like the graph says, i.e. test with cut off freq outside those band.

Mar 27, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 19
600smile.gif

According to the HeadRoom's graphics the HD280s should have a half of the HD650's bass and trebles.
But the truth is just opposite
biggrin.gif

(I don't comment the overall quality of the sound)

Mar 27, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 19
Actually, I remember a number of people commenting that the K501 sounded quite a bit like the Orpheus in overall sound. So I guess frequency response graphs can tell us something on occasion...

Mar 27, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lithos
And probably also won't sound the same because one has electrostatic drivers and the other has dynamic drivers.
mad.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

I can't compare them with the Orpheus, as I never heard that one, but the K 501 is a bit STAXish. This AKG Varimotion Driver delivers a quick and detailed sound that comes close to an electrostat. Also the midrange is very nice, like on the Stax phones I heard yet. The 501 is on the warm side, adding a nice natural body to accoustical instruments and voices, not as much as the SR-001 MK2, but a bit more than the SR-5 Gold and much more than the Lambda Pro Classic.
But thats about the similaritis. You have the AKG typical regressed bass and trebble. The bass is there, goes quite low, is quick and accurate without the typical resonance humming that most other dynamic headphones have, but it is too silent compared to the midrange of the music. Also in the highrange something is missing when you directly compare them with the Staxes.
Another thing that is different is the soundstage. The Stax phones, even these little SR-001 suckers, have an unbelieveable 3D soundstage. Sometimes you hear things going on in your room with them, but then you realise it is just the music. The 501 on the other Hand is very limited compared to that. The soundstage is not small, but the sound is either left from your left ear, right from your right ear or in your head.
For around 150 Euro here in Europe, the K-501 is a steal. I think AKG is right claiming that this headphone is the HiFi Referencephone. Anything better is HiEnd. If you love classical music but can't afford a Stax or Orpheus, then I think you can't make a better choice than the K-501 at the Moment.
If AKG would kidnap the Beyer guys that developed the DT 770 / 880 / 990, they might be able to build a headphone that would give Stax a hard time
wink.gif
. The things that I miss from the Staxes at the K-501, I can find at the DT-990 and vice versa.

Mar 28, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #9 of 19
Excellent description, EBm Head ! WMax also said the 501 with squished pads resembles Omega (2 ?) sound. Btw I prefer to have Beyer kidnapped the Varimotion guy instead of the other way around. =)

Mar 28, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Excellent description, EBm Head ! WMax also said the 501 with squished pads resembles Omega (2 ?) sound.

Not quite, what I said was basicly it gave me the same approximate impression of sound quality for acoustical/classical music types as the Omega 2. :)

The Omega 2 was on my next-to-buy list until I got ahold of the AKG K501, once I tried the boil-a-pad mod, I found it to be so close in that respect of impression of quality, that I decided it would not be worth it to go for an Omega 2 since I achieved the desired approximate quality(according to my tin-ears) for a small fraction of that price. Note the qualifier(similar quality as percieved by me, not specifically the same sound signature). I might still go for an Omega 2 one day -- if a really good bargain presents itself that I just can't resist. The Omega 2 is still much prettier and physically substantial IMO.
icon10.gif

-Chris

Mar 28, 2005 at 6:13 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by WmAx
Not quite, what I said was basicly it gave me the same approximate impression of sound quality for acoustical/classical music types as the Omega 2. :)

Haha, so I missed some critical words, no big deal. =)
biggrin.gif

Chris, I haven't heard the Omega but will be quite surprised if you also perceive the treble as that of 501 ?? I can live with its bass but not with minimalist HF extension and edgy treble that I heard - most noticable at higher listening volume. Would appreciate your comment if you also hear this - and if mod pads overcome this problem. Seems like happening at higher freq of that improved mids.

Apr 7, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #12 of 19
Sorry that I did not respond. I forgot about this thread.
blink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Haha, so I missed some critical words, no big deal. =)
biggrin.gif

Chris, I haven't heard the Omega but will be quite surprised if you also perceive the treble as that of 501 ??

As I said, I had the same impression of quality, not sound signature. The treble is not the same balance between the two.

Quote:

I can live with its bass but not with minimalist HF extension and edgy treble that I heard - most noticable at higher listening volume. Would appreciate your comment if you also hear this - and if mod pads overcome this problem. Seems like happening at higher freq of that improved mids.

The modded pads remove a harshness found in the upper midrange -- they do not effect the treble. The treble is helped a little by using a 120 ohm source impedance in conjunction with the K501, as it boosts >8Khz frequencies a bit if you do.

BTW, I was able to finally compar directly the Omega II to the modified K501 at the MD/DC meet a few days ago. I had given the Omega II the benefit of the doubt previously, since the sense of impressions that I had were from different times/places. In direct comparison, I find that I like the K501(modded) even more than the Omega II on classical/jazz/acoustic. The modified K501 sounds more realistic to me. I will note that this judgement was based on using a 120 ohm output impedance with the K501 and also using modified pads.

For your reference: 3.5 ohm output Z with stock pads vs. 122.5 ohm output Z with modded pads.

k501_stock_modded.gif

-Chris

Apr 8, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lithos
graphCompare.php

I had nothing to do today so I played around with the frequency response graphs at HeadRoom.
Something that looked really freaky to me was that the frequency response of a AKG 501 nearly looks like that of an Orpheus. Freaky
eek.gif

My question is that if they nearly look the same will that mean that they have the same kind of sound?
k1000smile.gif

I don't have them currently available for a side-by-side comparison, but having heard the Orpheus -- albeit via Meitner DAC > KGSS -- the 2 phones seem to have something akin in terms of a "natural/neutral" signature (sorry ... unscientific) and to me they feel in a similar comfort zone that I like. Bozebuttons may have the proper amp ready for the spring/summer NYC meet and I will compare them then. The only question is, what amp should I use to drive the K501s for as close a test as practical? There'll be lots to chose from at the big meet, so I might try several (oh, fun!).

Apr 8, 2005 at 9:19 AM Post #14 of 19
graphCompare.php

The short answer to your original question is no. Comparing the Senn 580 to the AKG K501, we see a very similar frequency response. I think anyone that has heard these cans would agree that they sound nothing alike. To me cans differ in the way they present frequency responses. The AKG has a much more forward midrange and top end, while the Senns are more laid back and recessed in the mids and highs. The AKG's also seem to have much less bottom end than the 580's even though the graph indicates that they should sound very similar.

Apr 8, 2005 at 1:38 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Large4mat
The short answer to your original question is no. Comparing the Senn 580 to the AKG K501, we see a very similar frequency response. I think anyone that has heard these cans would agree that they sound nothing alike. To me cans differ in the way they present frequency responses. The AKG has a much more forward midrange and top end, while the Senns are more laid back and recessed in the mids and highs. The AKG's also seem to have much less bottom end than the 580's even though the graph indicates that they should sound very similar.

Keep in mind, near the lows, there are dissimilarities (about 2-3db's worth near the 100Hz band, which is quite a bit of difference) between the two cans. That could acount for their less bottom end compared with 580's. Also, the highs are very very different in a way that makes the K501's shine. What we really need to do is get music that primarily resides in the 200-1k Hz range (which mostlikely is impossible) to compare these phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back