frequency response in av40
Oct 12, 2010 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

archimonde

Head-Fier
Hello,

I've a question. I've just bought a new av40. In technical details they say av40's frequency response range is 85hz to 20khz. Is that mean i cant hear under 85hz?

I've made some tests and i can hear about 30-40hz. So what's that mean?

Or should i buy an subwoofer? Is this ok for me? In box they give a brochure. In brochure it says bass guitar's frequency is between about 40-300hz, bass-drum is about 30-200 and piano is about 30-4000.

Thanks.

Oct 12, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 4
in users guide, i saw "bass boost" frequency response curve. In this curve i see it responses 20hz too. Difference is between 85-20khz it response is flat. 0db. when "bass boost" is activated bass response's has higher decibel values. But some other frequencies has higher too. Maybe its not good to crank it up
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 4
Usually the standard for quoting frequency responses is the - 3 db limit. That would mean 85Hz is 3db lower than other frequencies. You can still have ,say, 40 hz, it is probably very quiet. The numbers are usually made up in many (cheap) products, especially those with 5-20000hz response. Ideally they should print the limit, for instance my headphones say 12-38000 at -10db. Hope this helps.

Oct 13, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
in users guide, i saw "bass boost" frequency response curve. In this curve i see it responses 20hz too. Difference is between 85-20khz it response is flat. 0db. when "bass boost" is activated bass response's has higher decibel values. But some other frequencies has higher too. Maybe its not good to crank it up
smily_headphones1.gif

The response curves shown that you are looking at are the response curves of the amplifier , not those of the speaker. The speaker rolls off pretty sharply after 85 Hz when presented a flat signal from the amp.

One way you can get the impression of much deeper bass out of such a small speaker is to use the SRS WOW features inside windows media player. Yes I know this is anathima to many of the purists here which includes myself but with such a speaker as this it can be helpfull. This program modifies the signal in some realy tricky ways to bring out deep bass on small speakers that normally can not produce deep bass by modifying the signall it can produce to give the impression of deep bass. It works pretty well  but the program also modifies other things in ways I don't like if the settings are wrong. In this it is like Carvers sonic holography which also tends to give the impression of deeper bass but widens & deepens the soundfield in sometimes odd & excessive ways. The trick with SRS WOW effect is to turn down the WOW effects mostly but leave the trubass turned up but not all the way. Never mind using just trubass either as by itself it collapses the stereo image  but you can recover a reasonable facsimaty of the original stereo image if you put the WOW effects setting up to 1/3 setting. Here it sound reasonably natural. More than that & the stereo image become too big & wide.

The bass boost provided by the speaker will not provide much in the way of deeper bass, just stronger mid & upper bass down to its cutoff frequency especially if the shelving frequency is set to 100 Hz in the hardware of the bass boost setting which is what most manufacturer use. Some manufacturers  use 60 Hz which is somewhat helpfull in extending the bass somewhat but only minimally as the natural rolloff of the speaker is pretty steep. These shelving frequency settings are set in hardware & are not normally available to the consummer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back