Frequency response graph can be very misleading to say the least
Jul 29, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

You meant as little as possible, right?

Pretty sure they meant as much as possible. Why would you want your transducer ringing after the signal is gone? It would essentially create new sounds that aren't in the source material. More decay (i.e., lots of damping) in the transducer = Less unwanted movement.

Jul 29, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #32 of 38
Quote:
Pretty sure they meant as much as possible. Why would you want your transducer ringing after the signal is gone? It would essentially create new sounds that aren't in the source material. More decay (i.e., lots of damping) in the transducer = Less unwanted movement.

I was always under the impression that "decay" referred to the length of time a sound hangs around after the signal passes.

Regardless, less excess sound is better, no matter how you define it.

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #34 of 38
UPDATE:

My bad, my bad, my bad.
The headphones I received are not KSC75 but KSC21!
The only reason I found out, I happened to go to Koss website and looked at pictures and the headphones I received exactly matched KSC21. I'm very unhappy with Amazon to say the least as I ordered KSC75.
The reason I took me a while to figure it out, there is no model designation on the headphones, and the box had to be destroyed to open it up. I also don't remember seeing model designation on the box, it was probably in small print.
Headphone.com has no FR for these, but that would explain the missing bass.
Now, hopefully Amazon will send me the right headphones.

Even though this thread ended up to be entirely in error, I learned a lot from this.

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #35 of 38
Then I would like to amend one more bullet point to my first post:

1. Make sure you're testing the right headphones.

eek.gif

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #36 of 38
Haha. I actually worry about that with unauthorized dealers posing as authentic resellers for various brands. What if you think you hate a particular headphone because you heard a crap knock-off of it? But I'd feel a bit of a heel going around emailing before every purchase. I just try to make sure to buy from Amazon, they've always done a good job in the past with the big circumaurals I prefer at least! Though they have sent a similar but incorrect item or two in my history with 'em. They sent me the wrong RAM one time. I've seen aerial photos of some of their warehouses, holy... I guess I can forgive them a goof now and again. They have never failed to make it right.

Aug 2, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #37 of 38
One time they sent me the wrong headphone stand . . . twice.

I think I ended up getting $45 something in store credit for it?  They gave me like $20 the first time, and $25 or so the second time iirc.

Basically, I ordered a desktop headphone stand for $20 and they sent me a $5 hook instead.  Returned it, re-ordered and . . . they sent the hook again.  Finally gave up and ordered a Woo stand instead, used the credit on some other goodies though :D

Aug 18, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #38 of 38
Update:
Amazon refunded me money and I reordered KSC75. Paid $13 and got the real thing this time. Used Vollenweider music again and Koss' deep bass is much worse compared to Sony V6, but high treble is noticeable better. I use these tracks for testing bass and treble, respectively: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81ZLKtHigTo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sSoW7gqSzs

I followed it up by a tone generator testing and while both headphones cover my listening FR (20-17000 Hz), Sony has a strong bass at 30 Hz while KSC is barely audible. The opposite holds true at 15 kHz. I also confirmed the Sony's dip at 200 Hz and Koss' dip at 4 kHz. So, the Headroom FR curves are fairly true. The only big discrepancy is at 30 Hz, where Koss is much weaker, way more than the couple of dB the FR suggests. Possibly strong decay in Sony is to be blamed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back