Frequency Response: 20Hz – 20kHz good enough?
Feb 6, 2024 at 3:39 AM Post #16 of 27
So, I ordered the Mackie MC-350. The price of these headphones are all over the place. The black version usually goes for 180/200 euros in most webstores. The white ’special edition’ version goes from euro 139 to 279! https://mackie.com/en/products/headphones/mc-series-headphones/MC_350_arctic_white.html
So I thought the white version for 139 would be a good deal and the many positive reviews about them made me decide on these. We’ll see if they are as good as others say. Reviews tell they are very well build with real leather padding and headband. Comments are they have good tuning, more neutral/linear than Beyer and the MTH50x. Will keep you informed about my impressions! Many thanks to everyone :relaxed:

Feb 11, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #18 of 27
The human hearing range is 20 Hz - 20 kHz. And that is assuming one is young with perfect hearing.

With increasing age, the hearing generally deteriorates (presbycusis), so some older folk may not even hear some frequencies past 8 kHz.
Capture1_1.PNG

I've seen audio manufacturers boasting of 5 - 70 kHz frequency response. This is a marketing gimmick that only our dolphin and bat friends can appreciate.

I can clearly hear changes at 18kHz on my equalizer and I am 55 next month

Feb 11, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #19 of 27

Hearing 18 kHz, but at what volume? As per the graph of hearing in the general population, no doubt older folk can still hear higher frequencies, but they need a higher dB than younger folk (in general). So pumping up the volume to hear a certain frequency band is not the same as hearing it at a low volume.

Also, exceptions exist in every population profile, so there are outliers who don't fall in these general population studies. You may very well be an outlier, so congrats.

One thing to note, as a poster previously pointed out, it may be 2nd or 3rd order harmonics rather than hearing the fundamental note, especially for frequencies near the extremes of the general human hearing range.

As always, YMMV.

Feb 11, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #20 of 27
I am also turning 55 next month, and my hearing falls off a cliff just north of 12kHz.

Feb 18, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #22 of 27
ANY frequency response quoted without a dB variance is USELESS.

You could say 20-20kHz, but the device might be down -80dB at 20Hz. You would never hear it. Any source or amplifier should respond with 20-20kHz with no more than a few tenths of dB variance over that range. When it comes to the output transducers, dB variance is much worse. A + or - 3dB variance would be considered monumentally outstanding for a transducer (speaker or headphone). Most can't manage that over 50-15kHz.

Feb 18, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #23 of 27
as soon as you ask for a studio headphone it’s either the DT770 or ATH50x you’ll get for an answer,
I own both of these models and it is quite apparent why these are the industry standard, I agree that sometimes really popular headphones aren't worth the hype but in this case, i think it is fair

Feb 19, 2024 at 3:09 AM Post #24 of 27
I own both of these models and it is quite apparent why these are the industry standard, I agree that sometimes really popular headphones aren't worth the hype but in this case, i think it is fair

After a short trail with the Mackie MC-350 which I had to send it back due to some issues (see above) I have now the Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro X and the Austrian Audio Hi-X55 on order. Can’t wait for them to arrive! Will post my findings here.

Feb 19, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #25 of 27
Austrian Audio Hi-X55 has arrived. First impression after an hour test driving. Build quality is fantastic. Very neutral sounding, clear and crips, precise. Beautiful stereofield. Bass was not felt at all, but heard. I am wearing glasses. After a while I took them off and listened again, and without glasses it has more bass… Now that’s a bummer. Repositioning the headphone doesn’t make a difference, without glasses more bass. With glasses bass but no energy. Fantastic headphone so far, but why does it get ruined by my glasses. Breaking the pad sealing seems to have a serious influence. Still waiting for the Beyerdynamic to try.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #26 of 27
Austrian Audio Hi-X55 has arrived. First impression after an hour test driving. Build quality is fantastic. Very neutral sounding, clear and crips, precise. Beautiful stereofield. Bass was not felt at all, but heard. I am wearing glasses. After a while I took them off and listened again, and without glasses it has more bass… Now that’s a bummer. Repositioning the headphone doesn’t make a difference, without glasses more bass. With glasses bass but no energy. Fantastic headphone so far, but why does it get ruined by my glasses. Breaking the pad sealing seems to have a serious influence. Still waiting for the Beyerdynamic to try.
i've heard that a lot of people prefer the DT700 Pro X to the DT770PRO, but i've never heard them myself

Feb 20, 2024 at 5:19 AM Post #27 of 27
This is harder than I thought it would be. The Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro X feels like wearing two teddybears, so comfortable. The sound of the Austrian Audio Hi-X55 is more spacious(!) like you are in a small room, the Beyer is closer, more warm, not as ultra detailed as the Austrian Audio. Wearing glasses makes less of an impact on the bass with the Beyer than with the Austrian Audio. But the Austrian Audio has something to its sound.. so crystal and detailed. Beyer is beautiful too, can’t go wrong with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back