Frequency characteristics per channel
Nov 10, 2017 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SilverEars

Headphoneus Supremus
Is there anything like Audacity that gives out frequency characteristics of a track per channel? Audacity does give out loudness info per channel, but I'm really interested in what type of sound each channel is outputting separately at the same time(or which side is louder over the other of specific sounds). For example, I'm hearing violin on the left channel and cello on the right. Would like to see something that I can determine what sound is outputting separately per the channel. Trying to figure out placement of which channel the instruments are at. This is more of a test of how balanced my ears are responding.

I'm trying to get a precise idea of how the sound is imaged of different sources of sounds. Which side is the vocal leaning, a specific instrument, etc.. Is there a good way to get an accurate idea of this of a track?

Also, anybody know of tracks that are known to be perfectly centered, perfectly symmetric so that is undoubtedly known to be balanced sounding?

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #2 of 5
A mono track would be perfectly centered

Nov 10, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #3 of 5
I'm not sure to understand what you want. if you're making something simple complicated or if you hope to find a software that somehow tells soundstage?
aside from trying only left, then right, maybe mono, maybe some mid/side switch, I'm not sure what you can do. and those ideas are all based on your own subjectivity.
and for center, yes a mono track is the obvious answer.

Nov 10, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #5 of 5
IIEQ Pro (AU/VST plug-in) has a built-in spectrum analyzer that works in real time on L/R (left and right) or M/S (mid signal (L+R) and side signal (L-R)), with separate monitor window for each channel and adjustable analyzer curve (zoom effect). When the equalizer is active the analyzer will show both original and eq’ed signal in real time (next to each other).

I’m not sure the analyzer will be accurate enough or exactly right for your needs, but you can have a look at it, there is a demo version available (https://ddmf.eu/iieqpro-equalizer-plugin/)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back