Frequency boosts?
Oct 17, 2009 at 8:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rfield00

New Head-Fier
while trying to decide between westone 1's and um1's i emaild one of the westone suppliers to try to understand the diference between the two iem's. i told him that:

'i listen to music for about 3h a day on my ipod classic. i am looking for a pair of IEM's to replace my broken Shure SE210's. i have settled on either UM1's or westone 1's but do not know which ones to go for. does the sound quality on the westone 1's upstage the UM1's or is the increase in price tag to do with the extended fit kit.'

he told me that 'They're different animals. The westone 1 is made with a flat response for ipod listening. The um1 has Frequency boosts at certain areas like a kick drum is around 80Hz vocals are around 5K.'

can someone please explain what he means by Frequency boosts' and how (if at all) it affects the listening experience.

Thanks in advance

Oct 17, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #2 of 4
I believe the opposite is true. The UM-series are more monitor oriented meaning they tend to have smaller soundstages and a more neutral presentation whereas the Westone-series (W1, W3) are more for fun listening with the frequencies a bit more tipped up on both ends.

Oct 17, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #3 of 4
Well id also think that the opposite is true. ANyway it means that it will put more emphasize on different instruments, vocals and frequencies. So drums will be heard louder than the bass line for instance. Flat response means that it all sounds pretty much equal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back