Freedom of Information...
Jan 26, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #16 of 32
Keep in mind that you have to pay $50 per year to see the prices in the Agon Blue book. Moreover, you could just give the incorrect price for the feedback entry. And yes prices do fluctuate, sometimes prices do spike or drop over night so....

Jan 26, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #18 of 32
There's no reason to make the sale forums any more elaborate or complicated by adding some price tracking system. You (the OP) seem to be overlooking the fact that they are just a convienence to the members here, and not the primary function of the site like ebay and audiogon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazuki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're awfully aggressive about this. Did someone rip you off or something? Why such a large chip on your shoulder?

Don't worry about it, if you look at his other posts you'll see this is just how he is. His MO is to say something to get a reaction out of somebody, then play the victim when they do react. Bonus points if you can guess what this is normally referred to as doing.
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #19 of 32
The price an item sold for is something that's between the buyer and the seller. If they choose to keep the price the item went for private, it's their right to do so. Almost all of us know what kind of headphone goes for what amount. If you really don't know and need to know, you can always ask someone who does.

Keeping a price list could also mean that some items retain value while they should not (ie, headphones that are relatively old. Having a price database would mean an old example would probably end up selling for the price of a near-new one).
Prices on Head-Fi are already very high compared to other secondhand audio sites, especially for rare items. If anything, we want to remove all knowledge of past prices and start over, with only outside references. That might sound drastic, but twice the value on Head-Fi compared to other places is not a rare occurence...

This can be great, since you can buy and sell without a large loss. On the other hand, buying on Head-Fi means you'll almost certainly have to sell here as well, because if you don't you stand to lose a fair chunk of change since the price you bought at was so inflated.

This discussion has been held many, many times before (though not exactly the same as most were simply about why prices were removed rather than about keeping a database... but this thread will veer in the direction of the first).

Quote:

Originally Posted by toobs_rule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm very thankful that I have had only good experiences here, on Audiogon and Ebay to date.

You seem very active and knowledgable in and about Head-Fi, yet you joined only recently. Are you an older member who registered again?

Jan 26, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

You seem very active and knowledgable in and about Head-Fi, yet you joined only recently. Are you an older member who registered again?

That's a really good point. Definitely makes sense. Explains the chip on his shoulder.

Quote:

Bonus points if you can guess what this is normally referred to as doing.
wink.gif

You got me here, is there a syndrome name for this?

Jan 26, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

I thought I had made it pretty clear in our PM exchange.

You said something in your PM. It wasn't clear to me at all.

My question was, do you want to make it public since we are having public discourse now.

Jan 26, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The price an item sold for is something that's between the buyer and the seller. If they choose to keep the price the item went for private, it's their right to do so. Almost all of us know what kind of headphone goes for what amount. If you really don't know and need to know, you can always ask someone who does.

Of course. I'm not asking for what it SOLD for. Just to retain, for the record what the asking price is. That would give someone a general idea. We all know that most asking prices are OBO unless stated.

Yes, most know what phones go for but, there's lots of other things selling here like tubes, cables, dacs, etc.

Quote:

Keeping a price list could also mean that some items retain value while the should not (ie, headphones that are relatively old. Having a price database would mean an old example would probably end up selling for the price of a near-new one).
Prices on Head-Fi are already very high compared to other secondhand audio sites, especially for rare items. If anything, we want to remove all knowledge of past prices and start over, with only outside references. That might sound drastic, but twice the value on Head-Fi compared to other places is not a rare occurence...

This can be great, since you can buy and sell without a large loss. On the other hand, buying on Head-Fi means you'll almost certainly have to sell here as well, because if you don't you stand to loose a fair chunk of change since the price you bought at was so inflated.

Interesting take.

Quote:

No. That would violate policy.

Jan 26, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

That's a really good point. Definitely makes sense. Explains the chip on his shoulder.

I wonder why you keep saying I have a chip on my shoulder? I'm not being defensive or agressive at all.

Maybe you haven't encountered someone who feels strongly about a topic and enjoys discussing it without backing down.

You probably should stick with those communication classes and don't even think about law school.

Jan 27, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

I wonder why you keep saying I have a chip on my shoulder? I'm not being defensive or agressive at all.

Maybe you haven't encountered someone who feels strongly about a topic and enjoys discussing it without backing down.

You probably should stick with those communication classes and don't even think about law school.

Ah, the beauty that is raw hypocrisy.

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, the beauty that is raw hypocrisy.

Truly.

Do we really need to go over this every two freakin' weeks?

Record the prices, OP. Become fantastic internet martyr in your own mind.

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Truly.

Do we really need to go over this every two freakin' weeks?

Record the prices, OP. Become fantastic internet martyr in your own mind.

What's your point?

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

What's your point?

You're right. I really should just lay down and let people kick me.

His point is that you're clearly new here and apparently didn't notice that this gets discussed all the time. And it always boils down to the fact that if you don't know what something's worth just watch the forums for a while and compile your own private list. We don't need any sort of organized system or policy.

Also, you're not just 'laying down and letting people kick you' and that's the point. You're egging them on and then getting defensive. Which is rather normal internet behavior except for the fact that you just said, quite specifically, that you're not doing that. Which makes you a liar and a hypocrite, neither of which is worth my attention. Welcome to my ignore list.

Jan 27, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

His point is that you're clearly new here and apparently didn't notice that this gets discussed all the time. And it always boils down to the fact that if you don't know what something's worth just watch the forums for a while and compile your own private list. We don't need any sort of organized system or policy.

I may have been born at night but, it wasn't last night. I understand what folks are currently doing and what their options are. I simply wanted to see if there was interest in formalizing a better process. Which, there clearly is judging by some of the posts here and in the PMs I've received offering to help and even host my list offsite. I'm not trying to prevent ANYONE else from doing what they've been doing to track things as they wish. I'm only exploring the option of an alternate approach for those who DO want something different. What do YOU (or any of the other naysayers) care if they have that option???

Quote:

Also, you're not just 'laying down and letting people kick you' and that's the point. You're egging them on and then getting defensive. Which is rather normal internet behavior except for the fact that you just said, quite specifically, that you're not doing that. Which makes you a liar and a hypocrite, neither of which is worth my attention. Welcome to my ignore list.

You obviously interpret things abnormally. Welcome to my A-Hole list.

Jan 27, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #30 of 32
Further, anyone who does't like this idea and wants to attack me personally (classic ad hominem defense posture BTW - Bonus Points if you can name another logical flaw in this method of argument), please just contact me via PM so's not to disintigrate what's left of the integrity of this discussion. Feel free to leave your phone number too if you wish so we can discuss all your issues at once. Or, you can just snipe your insults behind the anonymity of the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back