Freedom of Information...
Jan 26, 2008 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

toobs_rule

New Head-Fier
For all of you that are mature enough to realize the value of historical transaction data (that's anyone that's bought a house, car, etc.) I'm considering a process that records all the asking prices for individual FS items here so that when an item sells and someone ignorantly types "SOLD" over the asking price, we can still understand what the sales price was approximately assuming some negotiating was going on.

It'll probably be a manual process but, any input would be appreciated.

Jan 26, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 32
I have mixed opinions on it. On one hand, I like to know the data when pricing my stuff.

On another hand, if someone had an unusually low price due to something such as cosmetic damages or a need to sell quick, I don't want that influencing my price.

Jan 26, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have mixed opinions on it. On one hand, I like to know the data when pricing my stuff.

On another hand, if someone had an unusually low price due to something such as cosmetic damages or a need to sell quick, I don't want that influencing my price.

1. I understand.

2. However, If I'm buying or selling, for example, a pair K1000, I'm obviously going to look on Ebay at the most recently completed sales.

3. I'm going to look at Audiogon blue book.

4. I'm going to look at past sales here where people did NOT block out their asking price.

I'm going to see lots of ads for sales on all types of conditions of phones and learn what low quality and high quality phones are going for and price mine or make an offer for the phones.

It's what Adam Smith called "Perfect Information" and is crucial to capitalism.

Can anyone imagine buying or listing a home without "comps" or shopping for or listing something on Ebay w/o looking at what recent listings sold for?????

Jan 26, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #5 of 32
Nobody's stopping you from doing this.
At least not in the FS/WTB threads where a price is mentioned.

Remember to keep a track the items condition, etc. as well. Since thats can vary a lot, and make a huge impact on the selling price.

Jan 26, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #6 of 32
You guys are all right so far. It would be a lot of work and be complicated.

Look, it's just an idea I had. And, be honest, if you were looking to buy a pair of headphones, who wouldn't use this database to answer questions like:

What's the average asking price over the last six months? Highest? Lowest?

This information would help sellers AND buyers.

There's nothing directly in this for me. I firmly believe this would be a value added service to members here.

Jan 26, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

You guys are all right so far. It would be a lot of work and be complicated.

Look, it's just an idea I had. And, be honest, if you were looking to buy a pair of headphones, who wouldn't use this database to answer questions like:

What's the average asking price over the last six months? Highest? Lowest?

This information would help sellers AND buyers.

There's nothing directly in this for me. I firmly believe this would be a value added service to members here.

You're still not going to find out how much the Woo 1 sold for.

Jan 26, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 32
Mazuki; you're right. You decided to keep that information from all of your fellow head-fiers who might find it useful in the future. Great job!!

But now, we will ALL know what your asking price was for your two month old Zhaolu 2.0 DAC : $170.

Consider this my first entry.

Jan 26, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know I think this could just result in no one posting a price and the FS thread degenerating into interest checks...

Huh. I never thought of that. Why do you think that would happen?

What do you think the "Logic" or more to the point, psychology is behind the decision people like Mazuke make when they decide to remove their asking price? Remember, it had been sitting out there for all to see, sometimes for weeks, just moments before?

What good does it do them to remove it? They've sold their gear already. What further purpose could that action serve for anyone??

What makes Ebay or the MLS system different than here?

Jan 26, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #11 of 32
Two comments.

First I started removing prices and listing items as Sold on this site and others at the request of other sellers, and because I would get a large amount of email with people offering to buy an item after it sold and was marked sold. I would cover the original post and add additional posts to say it was sold, but still people persisted.

2nd If you want to see prices that changed just use google's cache. Type in the name of the thread and google cache usually has older versions. I have done this with items up to a month after the price is removed to see what they sell for.

Jan 26, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Huh. I never thought of that. Why do you think that would happen?

What do you think the "Logic" or more to the point, psychology is behind the decision people like Mazuke make when they decide to remove their asking price? Remember, it had been sitting out there for all to see, sometimes for weeks, just moments before?

What good does it do them to remove it? They've sold their gear already. What further purpose could that action serve for anyone??

What makes Ebay or the MLS system different than here?

You're awfully aggressive about this. Did someone rip you off or something? Why such a large chip on your shoulder?

Jan 26, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by toobs_rule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you think the "Logic" or more to the point, psychology is behind the decision people like Mazuke make when they decide to remove their asking price?

This is high-end audio, where sadly neither "logic" nor economics prevail.
biggrin.gif

I think the best and only thing to do is for those of us who realize the value of leaving up the listed price (which isn't often the final price anyway) to keep doing so, and to encourage new sellers to also leave up their prices. Those who delete the price simply will not be convinced.

--Chris

Jan 26, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazuki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're awfully aggressive about this. Did someone rip you off or something? Why such a large chip on your shoulder?

I'm very thankful that I have had only good experiences here, on Audiogon and Ebay to date.

I buy most of my gear on Audiogon. Their feedback system includes recording the final buying price which Audiogon then catalogs in a "blue book" to assist members who are buying and selling.

Of course, Ebay gives members the ability to search through all closed auctions to see final selling prices.

I really like this site and am just offering an opinion on how to make it better. I choose to be "aggressive" as opposed to not giving a crap.

Mazuki, care to share your reasoning for deleting prices from your old FS threads for us?

Jan 26, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #15 of 32
Prices tend to fluctuate a lot for many reasons, so if you really want to keep track of everything, that's gonna be a lot of work. I never remove my prices, which I think is silly, but people are free to do whatever they want to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back