Free Technics SL-Q200 turntable...
Apr 30, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #31 of 57
What about section number 5, alignment? That went right over my head and I don't know if it is or isn't possible on my tt. And I SHOULD do the tracking weight adjustment, correct? Because there is an adjustment for it.

May 3, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #35 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks just bought it.

Mine just arrived - it is nice and slim and works perfectly. it box seems to be bidirectional on all sockets, which may or may not be useful. I found that if I had something plugged into input 3 (The first RCA input) and 4 and 5 and had the amp connected to socket 6 it works fine switching between inputs, however if I have both 3 and say 4 selected at the same time then the signal to the amp seems to be massively attenuated (halved ?), also if you want you can simultaneously play two inputs into the amp.

May 10, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #36 of 57
Guys today I got everything I needed to use the turntable, but I am still waiting on my grado silver prestige cartridge to arrive. In the mean time I also had a cheap new shure M92E, and I could not wait any longer to try out a turntable. So I used the SFG2 to set tracking weight, used carbon fiber brush to clean the LP and got everything in pristine condition and ready for action.

It sounds really good. But, there is a slight channel imbalance, the left is a little louder than the right. This is on all LPs. I think it is because of the cheap cartridge.

Should this problem be alleviated when I receive my grado silver cartridge?

May 10, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #37 of 57
This could be caused by anumber of things. Perhaps you couls procure some Caigs Deoxit contact cleaner and use that to clean the contacts on the cartridge and the rca plugs on the cables that come off the back of the turntable . Hope that helps.(Certainly can't hurt LOL)

May 10, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #38 of 57
Quote:

It sounds really good. But, there is a slight channel imbalance, the left is a little louder than the right. This is on all LPs. I think it is because of the cheap cartridge.

Should this problem be alleviated when I receive my grado silver cartridge?

You could also try reversing the cartridge tags (4 little wires which go into the back of it) Red - White + Green - GND Blue + GND. This will tell you if the problem is in the cart itself or the wiring coming from the cart to your phonostage.

May 10, 2007 at 12:31 PM Post #39 of 57
No wires, it's pmount. No oxidation or anything blocking contact on or in rca plugs, either. The cart. really is cheap ($18 + shipping, new). Could it not just be because of it?

May 10, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #40 of 57
It's got a connical tip as well so it's not likely to be an alignment issue and anyway you wouldn't expect the arm / headshell to be distorted on a Technics although I suppose you did find it in a skip so that is a possibility.

Have you tried reversing the phono plugs into your phono stage to make sure this is not at fault.

It is most likely just a duff cart as you say. Suppose you can send it back and get another or just wait for the Grado to find out if the problem goes away when you swop carts.

May 10, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #41 of 57
Just got the grado today. Unfortunately the channel imbalance still exists. I calibrated the arm properly for the grado cartridge, 1.5g tracking weight. It was 1.25 for the shure.

Keep in mind the imbalance is not HUGE, it is subtle, just enough to notice if you are looking for it/know it exists. I will try reversing the phono plugs.

May 10, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #42 of 57
AFAIK channel imbalance can be a result of incorrect azimuth also. Don't know anything about your TT, or if it would support azimuth adjustment. But azimuth is the angle of the needle while it's resting in the record groove: basically, your tonearm has to twist along its axis to set it. Some arms have a couple screws for adjusting it, some have a series of bolts, and others just don't have it. If azimuth is off, that means the needle will be tilted towards one side of the groove, and you'll get channel imbalance and possibly bleeding. So if the aforementioned suggestions don't work, and your tonearm doesn't support azimuth calibration, well then maybe you can get the tonearm replaced
confused.gif

May 10, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #43 of 57
Its a cheap TT. Retailed for $149 in the 70s (or 80s), I believe.

No azimuth adjustment, unfortunately. I still need to try and swap the phono plugs.

May 11, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #44 of 57
Quote:

No azimuth adjustment, unfortunately. I still need to try and swap the phono plugs.

good luck....maybe something will get it to work! TTs always need some elbow grease. Gosh knows it took me forever to setup my TT
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2007 at 10:53 AM Post #45 of 57
Quote:

Its a cheap TT. Retailed for $149 in the 70s (or 80s), I believe.

The whole concept of P-Mount is to avoid all those issues and you don't get alignment distortion with conical styii (the Shure).

therefore the problem has either got to be an electrical one in the wiring between the stylus and amp.

Or more seriously that the arm itself is distorted and therefore the stylus isn't properly aligned.

I would be inclined to get to the bottom of this before putting any records you care about near this deck especially with the Grado cart as a badly aligned eliptical stylus will do damaged.

BTW 150USD wasn't cheap in the 1970's. This deck would be from the middle of the range. To give you an idea the Technics would have cost 150UKP when the Rega P3 cost 80UKP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back