Free Technics SL-Q200 turntable...
Apr 29, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #16 of 57
I hope you can get everything working...because you are in for a nice treat with your MPX3 amp. Now that I have a decent "starter" vinyl system, I prefer it's sound over most digital recording. Good luck...

Apr 29, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #17 of 57
So do I. But now I've got a question. I see you guys always talking about how there is so much vinyl, and how it is so cheap, etc...

Well, thats not what I see, looking on e-bay and amazon. Not all the Tool albums were released on vinyl, and some of the ones that were are rare and sell for $400+

What gives?
frown.gif

Apr 29, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #18 of 57
Another question. I'd like some kind of device that will allow me to easily switch between having my dac and my turntable hooked up to the amp, without having to swap cables. First, what type of device would i need for this? Second, would it cause a drop in sound quality?

Apr 29, 2007 at 7:13 AM Post #19 of 57
I initially setup my vinyl rig for only one reason...Sarah Mclachlan's Albums...they are superbly recorded.

I had Art at AmpBoxAudio build me a custom passive pre-amp with a source switch and high end volume control: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ampbox/page5.html. I don't see any sound degrade. I just put my MPX3 on max volume and control the volume from the passive pre-amp.

Good luck...it might cost little more than you like but it's well worth it. I am already thinking about upgrading my tt to something higher up
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another question. I'd like some kind of device that will allow me to easily switch between having my dac and my turntable hooked up to the amp, without having to swap cables. First, what type of device would i need for this? Second, would it cause a drop in sound quality?

Apr 29, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #20 of 57
Quote:

I have a Niles Audio AXP-1 which is a passive switch box or "auxilliary input selector" - mine cost me $20 from eBay - and has 5 inputs and one output - but any AV switch box from Radio Shack will do just as well if you are just swapping line level signals. There will be no noticeable drop in audio quality as long as the cables are reasonably short and the connections sound.

Apr 29, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #21 of 57
Can you help locate me something good and cheap? I have looked on e-bay and audiogon but I can't find anything decent.

Apr 29, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #22 of 57
Apr 29, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #23 of 57
Great! Now I thought I knew how to hook everything up but I am confused now.

I thought it goes like this:

Turntable > phono stage > switch box > preamp (mpx3) > headphones. Is that correct?

Apr 29, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #24 of 57
Quote:

Great! Now I thought I knew how to hook everything up but I am confused now.

I thought it goes like this:

Turntable > phono stage > switch box > preamp (mpx3) > headphones. Is that correct?

That is exactly how it goes -- TT > Phono stage > (optional switch box) > Headphone amp > headphones

Apr 30, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #28 of 57
Please take the time to read this link http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm
it a a beginner's guide to cartridge setup and I believe it is very informative.

I'd like to say,003, that vinyl is great if you are willing to learn how to derive the pleasure from it. What I mean is the album needs to be clean!The turntable has to be level and setup properly . It can be fun but also frustrating LOL. Good luck!!

Russ

Apr 30, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #29 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by gimmieshelter31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please take the time to read this link http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm
it a a beginner's guide to cartridge setup and I believe it is very informative.

I'd like to say,003, that vinyl is great if you are willing to learn how to derive the pleasure from it. What I mean is the album needs to be clean!The turntable has to be level and setup properly . It can be fun but also frustrating LOL. Good luck!!

Russ

Oh. Wow.

My. Be prepared for a torrent of questions. I can skip wiring because my tonearm is p-mount (plugs in with pins). I can probably do the tracking weight adjustment, I just ordered one of those Shure gauges from amazon. I do have a flat wooden surface for the turntable (my desk).

The tracking weight there is an adjustment for. I can manage that. However, I dont think there is any way to adjust the arm height or azimuth (why not call it "tilt", I don't think there is an adjustment for anti skate either, and I plain do not understand the "Alignment" section. Can somebody explain it to me in english?

Apr 30, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #30 of 57
If you have a p-mount then you just screw the cartridge in and go.No azimuth adjustment is needed or capable. Your table doesn't allow adustments for tonearm height but this can be changed with your choice of platter mat.
I suggest not to worry about all that to start. Vinyl can get expensive fast with upgrades and whatnot.
Setup your table on a level surface use a bullseye level(round) to ensure the platter is level. Use shims under the feet if necessary. Vibration is a turntable's enemy so make sure to have it on a solid surface . Down the road , consider a wallmounted stand or something very heavy that isolates the table from footfalls. Also check out this link for tonearm balancing http://www.theturntablefactory.com/balance.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back