Free Man's Dilemma
Feb 8, 2010 at 12:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Ninkul

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for something to compliment my K701.. just.. more "friendly" sounding. By no means do i find my K701 a bad headphone but.. just looking to get something different. I don't want to go over the mid-fi range really.

I'm selling my DT770/80 for some funds and i -may- sell my MS-1i for more. I'm just finding my DT770/80 boring and flat now. I'm just after a headphone thats.. well, nice. I'm sure i can't really get a "bad" headphone per se but something that'll have a sound sig that'll catch my eye (or ear rather).

I've been eyeing:
DT880/600
K601
DT880/250
HD600

From top to bottom, in that order, most favoured to least favoured. HOWEVER, I don't believe the HD600 will go well with what i've got, thats one main thing. Also i didn't like my friend's HD650 with his LD DAC and LD MKV, although i have to say, it wasn't in the best listening environment and it was for a very short time. Although i listened to some Jazz with the HD600 through a Perreaux SXH2 which i must say was quite satisfying (although, i don't know how good of a guage i should take that as.. since i hadn't really "gotten into" head-fi at the time).

I like the crispness of the K701 but i dislike the midrange. I'm perfectly okay with the bass, is crisp and nice, its not boomy. I quite like it actually, its one of the pro's about the headphone imo.

Oh if you want to make a recommendation or comment.. dont worry about genres, i don't like how people recommend cans based on genres. I listen to quite a variety. Also note that i've got quite a reasonably warm amp which also narrows the soundstage of whatever i put in it.

We'll see :p

Oh and for anyone confused about the title..
See: Prisoner's Dilemma. Horrible game theory joke :p

Feb 8, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninkul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the crispness of the K701 but i dislike the midrange. I'm perfectly okay with the bass, is crisp and nice, its not boomy. I quite like it actually, its one of the pro's about the headphone imo.

Sounds like the K601 to me.

Feb 8, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 15
I found the K601 quite different and unsatisfying as compared w/ the K701. The RS-1 is a very nice can but if you are selling the MS1 then perhaps it is not for you. This leaves you w/ the HD580/600 which may be just what you may be looking for. Hopefully you will be able to try them again before you buy them.

Feb 8, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the K601 quite different and unsatisfying as compared w/ the K701. The RS-1 is a very nice can but if you are selling the MS1 then perhaps it is not for you. This leaves you w/ the HD580/600 which may be just what you may be looking for. Hopefully you will be able to try them again before you buy them.

I completely forgot about Grado for god knows what reason lol. I like the MS-1i, it just takes a few minutes of adjusting when coming straight from the K701 (eg. come off my computer and walk to the shops with the MS-1i).

Any comments on the DT880/600?

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #7 of 15
That sounds like a fairly ..well.. fair idea
tongue.gif
. Why are you the only person from New Zealand i've noticed on here thats from Wellington? Everyone else is from blimmin' up north and down south lol

Feb 8, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #8 of 15
I really do enjoy my K701s but the HD580 and HD650 are nothing like them [unless you defoam them which also brings some other problems]. D2000s are about as different as different gets but I find the mids to be dominated by the bass. The bass is viewed as a pro to most but my ears always moan at first. Like you, I find the K701's bass to be perfect with a warm amp.

Ever thought of some ATs? I'm currently contemplating a AD900 myself as something sort of similar to my K701 but not as detailed. Some guys like to call this 'musical'. I haven't a clue what that could mean but not being too detailed does wonders with ambient music.

Feb 8, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the K601 quite different and unsatisfying as compared w/ the K701.

I fail to see your point here . . . you disliked them, and?

So they didn't appeal to your taste and they were different. I'm pretty sure the OP is asking for different with a better midrange -- still sounds like the K601.

For a (growing) group of us K601 > K701.

Feb 8, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #10 of 15
German Maestro 450 Pro if you like K701 level of bass perhaps. Have a very juicy mid range and great flow with classical. Still very serious though. 435S is a bit booring and you seem to be after something more lively then the K701?

Feb 8, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninkul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for something to compliment my K701.

<off-topic>

When-oh-when are people going to use the right word? In the above sentence it should be to complement, which means to make complete. To compliment, on the other hand, means to show respect or affection.

frown.gif

</off-topic>

Feb 8, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
German Maestro 450 Pro if you like K701 level of bass perhaps. Have a very juicy mid range and great flow with classical. Still very serious though. 435S is a bit booring and you seem to be after something more lively then the K701?

The 435 are more flat in the upper mids. With the newer pads they are more energetic but still polite, remind me of the old AKG's.

Feb 8, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengt77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<off-topic>

When-oh-when are people going to use the right word? In the above sentence it should be to complement, which means to make complete. To compliment, on the other hand, means to show respect or affection.

frown.gif

</off-topic>

Wow, I didn't know you were allowed to make grammar/spelling corrections here. This opens up a whole new can of worms!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengt77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<off-topic>

frown.gif

</off-topic>

no no... compliment was correct. He has a recording with compliments he wants to play with regards to his k701

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #15 of 15
I had same question two months ago and went with akg k601. Akg k601 is not better in terms of details and soundstage but doesent lack for sure. It has that organic natural sound which I like, slightly more mid bass, laid back. Akg k601 let you emotionally get involved with your music more than k701/2. In one sentence when I listen to 702 I am stunned with details depth layering and when I listen to k601 I just bang my head!

Havent auditioned other contenders but would like to hear hd 600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back