free bose QuietComfort 3 or >$150 headphones?
Dec 26, 2006 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

scottymac

Head-Fier
my friend can either get a FREE pair of bose QuietComfort 3 headphones, or he can choose any pair $150 or below. i've heard bad things about bose, so i told him to wait. but free $350 headphones, i'm not sure... he wants something that's relatively portable " as long as they can press down hard enough to not have space inbetween them and my ears im fine" as he put it.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event...nes_index&ck=0

what's your opinion?

oh and i think i put the less-than sign the wrong way haha

Dec 26, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #2 of 9
I say get the Bose then sell them for say $300, then get a better headphone.
icon10.gif

Dec 26, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdFireArow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say get the Bose then sell them for say $300, then get a better headphone.
icon10.gif

even if you only get $250 off of ebay...

yea, what he said. get em free, sell them, and buy other stereo equipment.

Dec 26, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #4 of 9
I agree with above post....let some other poor sucker pay for the bose and let your buddy get some real cans. $300 will get some nice sounds + an amp!

Dec 26, 2006 at 6:27 AM Post #5 of 9
Sell the Bose and get something good. You could get something serious for $250ish + $150, I suggest a headphone+amp combo, rather than just an expensive headphone.

Dec 26, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #6 of 9
Absolutely agree. Take the QC3, do not touch the packaging, and sell them on eBay for at least $300. Buy a BitHead and maybe some SR80s or K81DJs or something of that nature. If he wanted to spring some of his own money, he could get a K501 or something, of course.
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2006 at 10:02 AM Post #8 of 9
I pretty well agree with that. Bose gave me a free set of the QC2's (this was before the 3 was available. Unfortunately they also track serial numbers with the company i was with at the time, and I did not have the option to sell these. While I do enjoy the sound for a free set of headphones, i have heard much better. The Bose REALLY color the music so that it sounds like Bose wants it to sound, not how its supposed to sound. This i don't like, though it tends to do alright with vocals. 2 real gripes about the Bose set though. 1.) Durability. I don't mistreat headphones, though I'm not super gentle with them either. Just from taking them on/off on a regular basis they have broken in 3 different spots. The only reason they stay together now is that they are held together with half a roll of black electrical tape, which was much cheaper than a new set of headphones. Also it really disappoints me that they will not work unless they are turned to the "on" position and are working off the battery for the noise canceling. Most noise canceling phones allow you to choose to use the feature or not. The Bose does not give you an option, so i find myself eating through triple A batteries like carzy. If he can sell them, do so and get some quality headphones. However, you can't knock free.

Dec 26, 2006 at 11:04 AM Post #9 of 9
The QC3 are more or less a step back from the QC2. They are less comfortable, do not isolate that well, etc. The QC2 is a closed can, the QC3 is IIRC an open or open back design. I do not own them, just gave them a try in a Bose shop and found them "a bit" overpriced compared to the quality of my other cans.

Still, I would choose the QC3 and sell them on Ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back