FREE (after rebate) McAfee Total Protection 2013 & Kaspersky Internet Security for Windows. Are they any good? What's the catch here?
Nov 28, 2012 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

JakeJack_2008

100+ Head-Fier
What do you think about the following two FREE Internet Security suites for 1 user - 1 PC (Windows) in Staples stores.
(The promotion is valid through December 1, 2012.)

[size=small]***********************************[/size]
regular price: $59.99
sale: $10.99
total price (before rebate): $49
tax: $4.53

McAfee
Total Protection 2013

Protect 1 PC 30-day Money-back Guarantee

Supported Email Programs
POP3 - windows Mail, ... Outlook, ...

regular price: $59.99
tax: $5.55

Kaspersky Internet Security
Premium PC Protection
1 PC, 1 year

[size=small]**********************************[/size]

So, after rebates (Visa prepaid card), one pays only tax, i.e. $4.53 or $5.55!

By the way, 2013 is not printed on the box containing the Kaspersky software. - What does it mean?

How good are these two (and other similar deals) on Internet Security software?
Aren't McAfee and/or Kaspersky dumping earlier versions of their Internet Security software
released in early-mid 2012? What's the catch here?

P.S.
Yesterday, I bought both of them, but I can return them unopened within 14 days
for a full refund.

Nov 30, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #2 of 10
I never understood how software are still being sold in boxes but out of those 2 Kaspersky is definitely better than McAfee

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
I never understood how software are still being sold in boxes but out of those 2 Kaspersky is definitely better than McAfee

Hi,

Thanx for your response. So, I'll keep the  Kaspersky Internet Security
(Premium PC Protection for 1 PC, 1 year).
After the $59.99 rebate (Visa prepaid card), the final cost is equal to tax = $5.55!

JJ

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 10
typical consumers are idiots though, MSE is good for people that know what they are doing in the computer, I wouldn't recommend it to an average person at all

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #8 of 10
Kind of agree here. I don't use an antivirus at all and people look at me like I'm insane when they bring me their computer to be fixed. 

I fix computers with MSE every day. Not so much with an eset or Kaspersky protected computer. I've literally never had an eset PC come in with a virus, and only 1 Kaspersky ever. 

Norton, McAfee, MSE. Those are the big 3 I see a lot. They're all garbage.

EDIT: I get people that tell me 'Well something's better than nothing though.' and I disagree. It gives people a false sense of security and they get screwed.

Quote:
typical consumers are idiots though, MSE is good for people that know what they are doing in the computer, I wouldn't recommend it to an average person at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back