Freddy Fender RIP
Oct 17, 2006 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

guynamedjohn

100+ Head-Fier
Freddy Fender died on Saturday. He was 69.

Any other Freddy fans out there?

Oct 18, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #2 of 5
Can't call myself a fan, but a couple of his songs bring back early teen memories for me. Mother of my best neighborhood friend was a fan. She was in an abusive relationship and played his music a lot.

So the songs I have bring up memories of simpler times, friends long ago, and troubled relationships.

Oct 18, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #4 of 5
His givin name was Baldemar Huerta. He was dropped off at his Aunt and Uncles along with his siblings at an early age, and raised by them until he left home. His uncle worked for my Grandfather at the Highway Department in San Benito, Texas. He was in trouble quite a bit as a kid, and my Grandfather helped his Uncle get him out of the local jail more than once.
My Grandfather was very happy to see him get on track in the 70's.

I really like his unique style. He lived in Corpus Christi, and a friend of mine used to have breakfast with him quite a bit. He said he really just started to feel like his life was heading in the right direction, when he got news of the cancer.

He'll be missed.

Oct 19, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 5
I have been rebuilding my CD collection lately (I'm 65yrs old) and I always liked Freddy Fender back in the 70's even though I am not a fan of country or western music. Last thursday I looked on Amazon and found a fairly recent album of his biggest songs and ordered it. On saturday I heard he had died at 69! on Monday the album was delivered and I can't tell you how much I am enjoying listening to it again. I am still not a fan of this type music but I enjoy this album very much and especially his version of "secret Love" which I always found very moving, plus the album brings back pleasant memories of another time and place.

I didn't even know he was ill but I will miss him.

Vaya Con Dios Freddy........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back