Freddie Mercury Vocal rankings
Jul 28, 2013 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kokushu

100+ Head-Fier
I see a lot of male vocal rankings not having him at least in top 10.  I see him in high on male vocal rock list but just overall male vocal he doesn't seem to be in top 10 which is a shame.  I consider him top 10 males vocal and wonder if I might be wrong in considering this.  I see the usual sinatra, crosby, presley, ray charles, nkc, and stevie wonder on most list but I think Freddie could compete with most of them.  Although his genre of music doesn't go well with people who tend to like vocal.

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 10
It's a good topic but it really depends on the criteria?  Is it about singing a range of octaves or stacatta or warmth or inflection, etc.....the guys below would fail miserably against even many Sunday morning church choir singers.

Really horrible male voices IMHO......Bob Dylan, Bob Seger, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Robert Plant, George Thorogood......just to name a few....yet all of these guys voices are very distinguishing and apparently that favors heavily in some people minds.

About the topic....I DO like Freddie Mercury's voice.  Great singer to my ears but very subjective thing.

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 10
Yeah but there is no way you can put Freddy Mercury in the same category as your "bad singers list" can you???  His range was amazing, he was not a one trick pony by any means nor could he be considered genre specific.

Im a Metal guy and even I would put Mercury in the top ten.

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #4 of 10
Freddie Mercury was certainly cool and Queen was an awesome band, but I don't know if I'd rank him in the top ten for male vocalist. I think there is a lot of vocalist out there that top him, but got to give him props for generally being awesome.

Aug 1, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #5 of 10
Okay argax name 10 male artist with better vocal ranking than him.  They have to have some kind of success thought because I guess their could be a lot of great vocal out there that only sing for their church or something.

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #6 of 10
Roy Orbison had a better voice than Freddie Mercury. Not saying Mercury didn't have a great voice though.

Aug 2, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #7 of 10
Freddie certainly was in the top 10 for rock vocals. Another that isn't mentioned but I appreciate is Andy Williams. And I agree with BS that Roy Orbison is another under appreciated but excellent singer.

Aug 2, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
Okay argax name 10 male artist with better vocal ranking than him.  They have to have some kind of success thought because I guess their could be a lot of great vocal out there that only sing for their church or something.

name your criteria to 'rank' these vocalists?

otherwise it's all subjective nonsense, which is fun all the same!

Aug 2, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #9 of 10
I'm guessing he means phrasing, range, pitch and dynamics. Those were Freddie Mercury's strong points. He had good enunciation too, but that isn't as necessary in rock music as it is in opera. Frankly, I agree with him. Freddie Mercury had one of the best voices I ever heard in rock, and I listen to a lot of opera, so I'm pretty picky.

Aug 2, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #10 of 10
I'm guessing he means phrasing, range, pitch and dynamics. Those were Freddie Mercury's strong points. He had good enunciation too, but that isn't as necessary in rock music as it is in opera. Frankly, I agree with him. Freddie Mercury had one of the best voices I ever heard in rock, and I listen to a lot of opera, so I'm pretty picky.

I agree with that criteria! I'm not in to opera, but a good singer is just that. But...I can see him not on some 'top 10 lists' as there's been more than 10 amazing vocalists across genres . The Internet is full of top 10's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back