frankenzero.
Jan 13, 2012 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

goodguys

New Head-Fier
Hi and thanks for taking the time to read this post.

I just purchased a zero dac after reading a few articles on how good it is. Once it arrived from China i googled the frankenzero mod and suddenly discovered
 a lot of negative comments claiming the unit is badly designed and has a short life.

After trawling through all the comments it really has put me off investing the time and money on a dac which may die at any second.

What do you think i should do, put it back on ebay and cut my losses or go ahead with the mods and hope for the best.

Many thanks. John.

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #2 of 2

Quote:
 I...   ...discovered a lot of negative comments claiming the unit...   ...has a short life.

This is what you get when a bunch of novices tear into a bit of equipment to 'improve' it.

All over the world are a rooms full of professionals muttering to each other 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.'

Cut your losses, forget the mods and use the DAC the way it is. By the time you change all those caps you will want to believe it sounds better, but you won't be able to tell because you can't swap back and forward quick enough for a meaningful comparison.

If you want to do electronics, learn electronics, but don't get sucked into believing you can be an artist by doing a bit of painting by numbers.

Nearly all of all this modification stuff is exaggerated beyond belief and the remainder isn't worth bothering with.

w

Users who are viewing this thread

Back