FrankenZERO - A bang for buck exploration with a DIY Heart !
Mar 8, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #331 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbang819 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the help, I pinned it down to a lifted pad that I guess got worst over time. So I just connected it with a little bit of wire.

I bought it from the forum and have done most all of the frankenmod, minus the PIO which came in today but I wasn't home, so I'll have to wait till monday.

Man am I glad you found the issue. I misread the part about you saying the H/Amp wasn't the culprit...sorry about that.

Once you have the PIO caps added your in for a sonic ride.

PM me with your email address so I can send you some pics to orient the PIO caps properly or use the pics Sennsay posted in this thread. Follow that pattern to the letter and you'll have no installation troubles. Please make sure you use shrink wrap on the leads and trim the leads if need be (once shrink wrapped and pre bent into the proper shapes according to the pics) before soldering onto the pads/caps indicated.

You have to be sure that you don't pretension the pads with the PIO leads once they are soldered on. It's easy to add these caps and sounds far more difficult talking about it.

What caps did you get ? I hope no more than a 8mm diameter.

Peete.

Mar 8, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #332 of 428
Hi guys,

I need some help here.
frown.gif

Yesterday the zero worked just fine.
When I turned it on today, there was no sound and it suddenly began to send smoke signals.

I opened it up and found some black stains around 2 diodes.
I turned it on again to watch what happens.
First everything seemed to be ok.
When I switched to coaxial input, there was smoke again, coming from those 2 diodes. They became so hot that the solder started boiling.

It's the diodes in the green circle:
zerop.jpg

I'll take the board out today and have a look at the bottom side.
On top there are some black stains at those diodes soldering eyes from the cooking.

Anyone with an idea what may be the fault?

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #333 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldfinger1111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys,

I need some help here.
frown.gif

Yesterday the zero worked just fine.
When I turned it on today, there was no sound and it suddenly began to send smoke signals.

I opened it up and found some black stains around 2 diodes.
I turned it on again to watch what happens.
First everything seemed to be ok.
When I switched to coaxial input, there was smoke again, coming from those 2 diodes. They became so hot that the solder started boiling.

It's the diodes in the green circle:
zerop.jpg

I'll take the board out today and have a look at the bottom side.
On top there are some black stains at those diodes soldering eyes from the cooking.

Anyone with an idea what may be the fault?

Only thing I can say is Holy crap!!

popcorn.gif

Maybe short to case on the underside? Or solder bridge?

Mar 9, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #334 of 428
It hasn't been moved since I turned it off.
I turn it on, switch to coaxial input and the thing startes to smoke.
Couldn't have been a short then?

I've just opened it up and took some pictures first.

As you can see there are sprinkles of solder and some black stains everywhere around those 2 diodes.
By luck it dind't cook the PIO in between.

Gonna desolder the PIO, clean the board and look for bad connections, come off traces, etc. now.

Mar 9, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #335 of 428
So, here we go.
2 traces and all 4 soldering eyes came off on the top side.

That dent on the yellow cap was caused by the soldering iron when I put the diodes in.
That couldn't have possibly something to do with the failure?

I've found no other signs of burn or bad solder joints or whatever on the board.

How can I repair the 2 traces?
Can I replace just those 2 diodes with HER108's?

Where or what would I have to check with my DMM to find the failure?

Mar 9, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #336 of 428
It looks like the diodes were bridged somehow (by the burn pattern on the pcb). Was there any stray solder between the two before you powered it up ?

Check to make sure all the diodes and the mains filter caps are correctly oriented (especially the 2 large caps). I just compared my board with yours and you have the diodes in that section oriented correctly. Double check the bypass caps leads and installation points again to see if any short was caused.

Hopefully this can be narrowed down but you may have cooked your main board with the repeated power ups. You see smoke don't fire it up again until the fault can found and corrected. I know, hindsight is 20/20 and that doesn't help you now. There are so many possibilities for why it's hard to know where to start. Take your DMM and see if the 2 sections are permanently bridged with a continuity check. You don't need to power up the Zero again to do that. If they are bridged the mainboard is toast.

Peete.

Mar 9, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #337 of 428
Could you post pics of the entire board (top and bottom) in that section please. Maybe I can spot something for you.

Peete.

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #339 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
popcorn.gif

This should be interesting.

PP, thanx for the Sub suggestions on X-over, worked nice!

Your welcome Les....email me with some pics and details
smily_headphones1.gif

Something is wrong somewhere with his board that's for sure.

Peete.

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #341 of 428
Quote:

Damn damn damn!! Seems like my electronic gremlin has reared its ugly head. I turned it off thinking I was going to go out and turned it back on 2 minutes later and voila its back....

Damn!

I must have missed something here.

Mar 10, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #342 of 428
okay, just got past the 200 + hour burn in, listened to Radiohead's In Rainbows, it feels like my brain was just abducted and injected with a dose of sonic bliss. All the frequencies are settled and the sound is just starting to get BIGGER and more visually tangible. Speechless!!!!

Mar 10, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #343 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by goorackerelite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
okay, just got past the 200 + hour burn in, listened to Radiohead's In Rainbows, it feels like my brain was just abducted and injected with a dose of sonic bliss. All the frequencies are settled and the sound is just starting to get BIGGER and more visually tangible. Speechless!!!!

Another smiling Customer, ya gotta love that...

Mar 10, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #344 of 428
goo the next order of magnitude leap happens at 325- 350 hours....hold onto to your hat....there's more to come
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Mar 10, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #345 of 428
Quote:

Damn damn damn!! Seems like my electronic gremlin has reared its ugly head. I turned it off thinking I was going to go out and turned it back on 2 minutes later and voila its back....

Damn!

Maybe the fix came loose ? Check that repair to the pad you performed a couple of days ago.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back