FrankenZERO - A bang for buck exploration with a DIY Heart !
Mar 8, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #316 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldfinger1111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I've just finished my FrankenZERO.
atsmile.gif

Got the parts today and put them in directly.

Getting out the old parts is a PITA sometimes, especially with those small electrolytic caps. Hat to solder a piece of cap-lead in and out to get rid of the solder from that tiny holes.
Lost 2-3 soldering lugs/eyes(dunno) on the pcb, that had no connection to a trace on the bottom side. Those came off pretty quickly, the others were fine, though.
Soldered on the top of the board underneath the caps sometimes, just to be sure the trace on top is connected properly.

Learned that small desolder braid works better than a pump on the small holes.
Been working with an 25W soldering iron with pointed tip, which did a good job.

Thanks to Peete for putting all this together!
It's a great mod and I really enjoyed it.

Hi,
Thanx for the tips. I've got braid and thats usually what i use. I also have a VERY nice iron with a wide assortment of precision tips. I had a hell of a time getting the LED mod done, and getting the holes clear. I also didn't fully understand about soldering top and bottom.

Les

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #317 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbang819 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tried the headphone jack with 6 headphones and the lineout to some speakers. Same result. The pot is grounded, everything's been fine for the past 2 days as is.

Hmmm, maybe cold solder joint on the POT?

Does the POT movement affect the noise?

Maybe wiggle the pot itelf

Maybe Bad pot?

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #318 of 428
Seems my Frankenzero has developed a problem. There is now a rattle/static noise that came about suddenly and randomly. Tried both coax and optical, headphone and line out, swapping opamps. I did replace the pot 2 days ago with no problems up until now. Any suggestions?

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #320 of 428
Quote:

Seems my Frankenzero has developed a problem. There is now a rattle/static noise that came about suddenly and randomly. Tried both coax and optical, headphone and line out, swapping opamps. I did replace the pot 2 days ago with no problems up until now. Any suggestions?

How about headphone Jack

Wiggle it around

Check your phones

Vol Pot noise. Turn off Zero and wipe the Volume Control full sacle back and forth maybe 30 times and see if it changes.

Did you reground the new POT?

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #323 of 428
Quote:

Wouldn't a cold solder joint cause a problem right away?

Wiggling and pot movement cause no change.

Hope its not a bad pot.....

Heh, depends on how cold!

Basically, concentrate on the last thing touched and go from there.

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #324 of 428
Tough to say what it is. Try to isolate the noise. Unplug the H/Amp section to see if the main DAC section is fine ...if it is you know the issue is with the H/Amp section.

Another possibility is a trace coming loose on the underside (make sure the leads of the bypass caps are not applying tension to the pads).

Go over all your work with a magnifying glass to look for cracks and cold solder joints. A cold solder joint may not fail completely as I've experienced all kinds of odd behavior over the years.

The pot may be noisy...try a little contact cleaner in it. Is the noise in one channel or both ?
Double check the pot ground wire connection...you may need to redo it.

Reply back with your findings please and good luck, hopefully it's something minor.

Peete.

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #325 of 428
Quote:

Tried resoldering the connections and no luck...

Also running it without the headphone amp section still results in the noise.

Hmmm, good info there.

Maybe a little Chinese Humor to lighten things up.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes Sir, Zero Have Lifetime Warranty

Unfortunately, Your Zero, Lifetime Over!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

biggrin.gif

Sorry, I'm amused easily..

Maybe one of the Guru's here will chime in.

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #326 of 428
Quote:

Tried resoldering the connections and no luck...

Also running it without the headphone amp section still results in the noise.

What vendor did you buy it from?

When did you get it/

I think there is a 1 year Warranty.

Did you do the Franken Mod?

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #327 of 428
Thanks for the help, I pinned it down to a lifted pad that I guess got worst over time. So I just connected it with a little bit of wire.

I bought it from the forum and have done most all of the frankenmod, minus the PIO which came in today but I wasn't home, so I'll have to wait till monday.

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #328 of 428
Quote:

Thanks for the help, I pinned it down to a lifted pad that I guess got worst over time. So I just connected it with a little bit of wire.

I bought it from the forum and have done most all of the frankenmod, minus the PIO which came in today but I wasn't home, so I'll have to wait till monday.

Heh, that's where I was going with my questions above! Good deal, glad you found it.

>>>>>>
Yes Sir, Zero Have Lifetime Warranty
Your Zero, Reincarnated!!
>>>>>>>

Mar 8, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #329 of 428
I've personally never believed in warranties, mainly because I tend to break them as soon as I can. Like when I got my SR325i not 20 minutes after I took them out of the box I was opening them up.

I just can't help it. I love to fiddle with things.

Mar 8, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #330 of 428
The getting parts out is a easy two man job!! get the board vertical and secure, desolder a leg at a time while your friend takes a pair of needle nosed pliers gently pull when the solder gets liquid. then reapply the heat on the pad for 4 - 6 seconds while your buddy lines up the solder sucker, when the solder becomes liquid, make a funny noise and tell your buddy to suck the solder out of the hole. THat's what I did and it worked like a charm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back