Frankenbeyer headphones
Apr 22, 2018 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

michaelwheeldon

100+ Head-Fier
After spending time trying to enjoy my recently acquired Darth beyer v4 I've come the conclusion the bass was too much and the mids had gone AWOL .
Coming from final audio Pandora,s 6 you come see my point about the mids.
So decided to sell them on a popular auction site, getting lots of views and people asking Darth who!!
So thought I'd pull them apart to see what £700 DT 770 pro darth beyers had inside.
Wow, not much .
Two piece's of cotton wool and a piece circular wood glued on top of the driver housing.
So having a spare pair of grado sr125 driver's from a woody project many moons ago got the tape measure out and would you believe it they were a perfect replacement fit for the beyer drivers.
Out came the original drivers and in with the grado ones.
They just pressed into place, fancy that.
Modelling clay around the driver housing to add some weight and stop vibration
More modelling clay on inside of wood cups too.
Old grado driver mod used to punch a couple of holes in driver rear membrane and a blob of hot glue on top of magnet shield similar to higher model grado,s.
Result is fantastic, grado highs and mids with very ungrado like bass that hits hard and fast.
So glad nobody wanted them .
Grado dynamic or frankenbeyers
DSC_0012.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG

Last edited:
May 7, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #2 of 18
Anyone tried this modification
In the past built a pair of senngrado headphones incorporating the sennheiser px100ii drivers with a measurable improvements over the grado sr80i drivers in just about every aspect of sound and imaging.
So thought my recent build of Darth Beyer with grado drivers which I still considered to the a huge improvement over the stock Headphile version in terms of mids and highs with hard hitting deep bass my improve still more with the sennheiser driver's installed.
Should be easy to fit as they are the same size as the 40mm grado units.
If anyone already tried this I'd be interested to hear about it, if not I'll post later on my findings.

May 10, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #3 of 18
May 10, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 18
You should be able to,meaning you have 20 posts and have been a member since '13.

May 11, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #10 of 18
May 20, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #12 of 18
In the words of a famous danish beer company "the most powerful beyers in the world, probably"

DSC_0044.JPG DSC_0043.JPG DSC_0047.JPG DSC_0046.JPG

Bit of a fingers and toes crossed moment, say a prayer etc
Thought I,d give the grado drivers abit of fresh air to breathe
I've give them a run and I'm more then impressed.
Bottom end has dropped through the floor but not in a heavy boomy way
Width of sound is greatly increased, which I,m more than happy with, wearing them with music playing ( a to b ) with fingers blocking ports and without is an eye opener.
Its like bookshelf speakers vs floorstanders as far as bottom end is concerned, with the floorstanders been an extra two feet apart.

Anyone got other ideas from their personal builds I could try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back