Frances the Mute
Mar 2, 2005 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

The Actual

Headphoneus Supremus
So it has been floating around on the internet for a while now I've heard, but I thought I would wait until it was officially released before making a thread about it.

I just got my copy (from Best Buy. Yeah, I don't like them either, but $6.99 is hard to beat), but gave up listening to music for lent, so I won't hear it for about a month.

Has anyone heard it? What do you think? It is supposedly not very good; do you think that The Mars Volta jumped the shark after De-loused in the Comatorium?

Mar 2, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #2 of 59
From what little I heard(the internet stuff was so crappy quality I didn't want to listen) I think they might be letting those santana comments affect them too much.

Regardless, I will be headed to best buy this evening for the disc.

Mar 2, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 59
You gave up listening to music for lent?
eek.gif

you are a much stronger person than me. I dont think i could ever give up something that important to me.

Mar 2, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #5 of 59
I don't like it as much as De-Loused. Still very good.

$6.99? It is worth that without a doubt.

Mar 2, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 59
listening right now...

I am really enjoying it. I really like how they structure the first few songs, weaving in and out from the last album style and this one, then they drop track 3 on you. They are definitely pushing the prog aspect of their music this time around.

Mar 2, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #7 of 59
Ok, just finished the album. You can read below on my thoughts or just skip to the end for the one sentence impression.

This disc plays more like a movie than an album. Listening from start to finish is really the only option for enjoying about half the songs on the album as they seem to exist more to transition moods, advance the "plot," or just space-out the audience(and the band) for awhile. Anyone who wants an album that plays like a list of similarly themed singles will not want to waste their time with Frances the Mute.

I respect Mars Volta for the fact that they stick to the "we are playing this music for us, listen if you'd like" attitude. Some might label it as pretentious, but at least it's genuine, a rare trait in "indie" music nowadays. Being a musician myself, I can relate to the periods of drawn out instrumentation. Being a critic, I can see how people would question their decision to incorporate it on the album. The simple answer is, you shouldn't buy this album if you aren't already in to the Mars Volta's brand of space-rock.

Despite being a fan of "the Mars Volta's brand of space-rock," there are some issues I have with this album. The biggest one is, like a movie, I don't think I could listen to the whole thing over and over again like I might a cd. It's unfortunate, because that pretty much eliminates over half the album's worth of music when looking for a single track to listen to.

Another issue is, I miss the presence and style of flea's bass playing. The bass on this album seems to oscillate from no presence to an omar guitar riff played on bass. I just feel that omar is at his best when playing off of someone more "mainstream." It worked great at ATDI, with Ward trying to play pop all the time(Ward's observation, not mine), and Omar finding all sorts of ways to harmonize and counter-melody. The new guy seems to stick too close to Omar's style and writing to give him room to surprise or shine. This is just my opinion here of course.

On a lighter note...
I swear, on some of the tracks, it sounds like the Mars Volta just left their instruments on feedback and left to grab some stuff from the vending machine before coming back and dropping the jam. I can't tell if this is a complaint or not because I kind of like how it promotes the continuous live show aspect of the album.

All in all, I enjoyed the album immensely. I would recommend it to any prog-rock fan that truly is looking for something original. Be it a good or bad thing, not many people are doing what the Mars Volta are in (almost)mainstream music nowadays. True fans shouldn't be let down by this outing, you all know what you're getting into when you listen to the Mars Volta.

My one sentence review:
Francis the Mute is a narrative over an album-length space-prog-latin-jazz-rock jam.

Mar 2, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #8 of 59
Looking forward to this one. From what I've read, it's based on a notebook found in an abandoned car. The writer was on a search for his biological parents.

Mar 3, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #9 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRobb
You gave up listening to music for lent?
eek.gif

you are a much stronger person than me. I dont think i could ever give up something that important to me.

Yeah. I wasn't going go give up anything for awhile since I was only thinking of material objects and food, but then on the Friday after Ash Wednesday at two in the morning I was doing homework and listening to Shiina Ringo's "Karuki Zaamen Kuri no Hana" and started to think about how much I enjoy listening to music, and it hit me that it was the only thing I could give up. My first response was intense anger at myself for being so clever, but I have actually been enjoying not listening to music in that now I realize exactly how important to me it is.

I would recommend the experience overall.

Mar 3, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #11 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by waylman
For once, Pitchfork is right on the mark!

http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-rev...the-mute.shtml

I just read this.

It is funny because he basically says the same thing I did,(albiet, bordering the same turgid prose he reproaches cedric for using) only his final judgment is tempered by the same self-conscious apprehension of "admiting to enjoy their music despite it's lack of true hipster credibility" that he outlines in his mentioning of their first album.

The italics signify sardonicism.

Mar 4, 2005 at 2:02 AM Post #12 of 59
How much white noise is on the album?

I was talking to someone today who said that there is literally about two minutes of white noise at the beginning and end of each track, and was wondering how much of an exaggeration this is.

Is there too much? And would anyone who likes the album defend the white noise?

Mar 4, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #13 of 59
I guess I'll answer that.

Quote:

Was my friend exagerating?

It is a little bit of an exageration, but not much.

Quote:

Is it too much?

Depends on whether you are a "true" mars volta fan.(i.e. seen the live show, like their style, and most importantly, understand their musical vision of expression over structure) or just liked some of the more accessible moments of the first album.

Basically, it all comes down to personal taste. The way I look at it is, Deloused was more of an album in the classical sense(i.e. a sequence of tracks) whereas Francis the Mute is a superbly polished live show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back