Fragility of Campfire Audio finishes?
Oct 27, 2022 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

rebbi

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, Folks,
About six months ago, I purchased a pair of Campfire Holocene IEM's and I absolutely love the balanced, airy, resolving sound. My sole disappointment is the fragility of the painted, brownish colored finish. The paint has rubbed off the metal on nearly every one of the corners of the angular, outward facing housings. Although I haven't put them back in the carrying case the moment I finish a listening session, I haven't treated them roughly, either.
Is this phenomenon of the paint coming off a known issue with CA products? It seems incongruous with such a premium, high-priced brand. Heck, my $39 Blon BL-03's and $110 Moondrop Starfield's have held up better.
Or is this just me?
Thanks in advance!

Oct 27, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 10
Right. But it doesn't even seem to hold up as well as other anodized metal items I've owned. I don't mean to be hyper critical. As I said, they're amazing sounding IEM's. I just don't understand why CA released them with such a fragile finish.

Oct 27, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 10
Right. But it doesn't even seem to hold up as well as other anodized metal items I've owned. I don't mean to be hyper critical. As I said, they're amazing sounding IEM's. I just don't understand why CA released them with such a fragile finish.
You're right, and the same can be said about cerakote (which could be anodized underneath for all I know). I just remember Campfire promoting their cerakote as more durable with their updated models, and I didn't see anything about them updating their anodizing process.... It is odd considering that Holocene is a more recent model which is unfortunate if you're having that issue.

Oct 27, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #5 of 10
I think that's just the caveat of painting on sharp edges/corners; you're never going to be able to apply a thick coating on a fine edge. Personally I like the look as it adds a bit of character, but I'm also anal about keeping my new IEMs in absolute mint condition. With the said, this is a well-known issue with Campfire's IEMs using this classic shape, even the ones with the cerakote finish.

Oct 28, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #7 of 10
Got it, thanks for the replies. At least I know it's not only me. Bothered me because I also try to baby my gear.
Same here, that's why I sometimes prefer to buy used, otherwise I'm always fussing about trying to keep them mint condition. With IEMs that are already worn/scuffed I can just stick them in my ears and enjoy, plus I can save some money. I sometimes have to remind myself these aren't collector pieces, but are meant to be used.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #8 of 10
Same here, that's why I sometimes prefer to buy used, otherwise I'm always fussing about trying to keep them mint condition. With IEMs that are already worn/scuffed I can just stick them in my ears and enjoy, plus I can save some money. I sometimes have to remind myself these aren't collector pieces, but are meant to be used.
This a wise approach! 💯

Users who are viewing this thread

Back