FR Variation Following DC Volatge Shock
Mar 22, 2015 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Amarphael

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have a pair headphones that unfortunately got zapped by a very decent spike of DC voltage from a certain valve headphone amp, which caused a very loud 'PoP' sound. I ran a tone sweep and don't detect any distortion, and also no channel imbalance, But i do subjectively feel that the tonal balance has tilted to a overly bright/brittle side, i.e the bass output has relatively diminished and highs have more glare and sibliance to them.

Is this possible technically as a consequence of DCV shock with seemingly no other negetive signs as mentioned previously?

Thanks you for your thoughts.  

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #2 of 5
I know the logical answer is that w/o any apparent audible distortion and/or measurements confirming distortion my impression abut SQ changing is moot, but still... can any one at least validate the techical implausibality of my question?

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 5
don't know how.
when you go too far you can I guess, melt the coil, or damage the membrane. but how can anybody tell you anything about your situation not having any practical information and no access to the headphone?
it's damaged or it's not, but you won't just change the FR. that much I guess I can say.

Mar 25, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 5
Yeah i'm aware it's a logical stretch, maybe nonsensical of me but i just wanted to get some assurance on the theoretical possibilty of the matter and i appreciate you chiming in and assuring me.

I guess and i'll throw some bucks on it and send them for servicing just to put some numbers on it.

Mar 26, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #5 of 5
It's been my experience that when you blow something, you end up with buzzing and vibration, not a change in frequency response. I bet you are OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back