FPS Gaming / Realtek ALC892 optical + Mixamp 2013 + AD700
Sep 10, 2013 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

domoaligato

Head-Fier
Hi,
This is my first post/thread. I have lurked quite a long time and determined based on my needs that I should buy a Mixamp 2013 + AD700 combo

I play counterstrike global offensive a lot on my pc and this is why I bought this setup as I have read a bunch of reviews here that say they work great for fps gaming.

How it is all connected:
I have a asus sabertooth p67 motherboard with the onboard Realtek ALC892 s/pdif output connected to the Mixamp 2013 and the AD700 headphones connected to the headphones output jack.

Mixamp setup:
The mixamp usb power is connected to a external usb power adapter plugged directly into a power outlet on the wall.
I have the mixamp eq set to core as this is supposed to be unfiltered mode and the dolby mode is on.

Soundcard Setup:
my realtek eq is set off. no environment mode presets are on. volume normalization is also off.

CS:GO/Game setup:
I have the game set to 5.1 audio mode.

Do I have everything setup correctly? Suggestions?

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 16
I have installed the latest realtek drivers to make sure but basically it doesn't seem as if the directional sound is working very well.

I am not sure if I should have the ingame audio set to 5.1 like I have it or if it should be on headphone mode.

I am also not sure if I should have virtual surround headphone mode on in the realtek driver enhancements.

I was basically looking for someone else that uses this combination to maybe tell me how they have everything configured.

Sep 10, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 16
  This is my first post/thread. I have lurked quite a long time and determined based on my needs that I should buy a Mixamp 2013 + AD700 combo
I play counterstrike global offensive a lot on my pc and this is why I bought this setup as I have read a bunch of reviews here that say they work great for fps gaming.
How it is all connected:
I have a asus sabertooth p67 motherboard with the onboard Realtek ALC892 s/pdif output connected to the Mixamp 2013 and the AD700 headphones connected to the headphones output jack.
Mixamp setup:
The mixamp usb power is connected to a external usb power adapter plugged directly into a power outlet on the wall.
I have the mixamp eq set to core as this is supposed to be unfiltered mode and the dolby mode is on.
Soundcard Setup:
my realtek eq is set off. no environment mode presets are on. volume normalization is also off.
CS:GO/Game setup:
I have the game set to 5.1 audio mode.
Do I have everything setup correctly? Suggestions?

Did you enable the DDL (Dolby Digital live) software in the motherboard's control panel?

Any chance you could return the Astro mix-amp and then buy the $27 Asus Xonar DG?

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 16
DDL is enabled and this afternoon verified that surround is working in cs:go.
the clarity of the sounds in game is night and day better than the corsair vengeance 2000 wireless headset I had prior.
It just seems that the soundstage is not as impressive as I thought it would be.
I was probably just hyping it up more than I should have.

Edit: see the next post....

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #6 of 16
Sep 11, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #7 of 16
  I have installed the latest Realtek drivers to make sure but basically it doesn't seem as if the directional sound is working very well.
I am not sure if I should have the in game audio set to 5.1 like I have it or if it should be on headphone mode.
I am also not sure if I should have virtual surround headphone mode on in the Realtek driver enhancements.
I was basically looking for someone else that uses this combination to maybe tell me how they have everything configured.

If your using the using the mix-amp to process Dolby Headphone Surround Sound.
Then leave the in game audio set to 5.1, but not headphone mode.
And have DDL on the computer enabled.

Or swap out the Mix-amp for the Xonar DG, which does the same function as the Mix-amp.

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #8 of 16
Srry this isnt a supports reply... but im wanted to say thx and please continue elaborating on all of your findings as far as positional accuracy as you expirament with your new products... because i play dayz (arma 2), and im looking for an audio setup also since audio is so important in games like these.. Thanks!

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #9 of 16
  If your using the using the mix-amp to process Dolby Headphone Surround Sound.
Then leave the in game audio set to 5.1, but not headphone mode.
And have DDL on the computer enabled.

Or swap out the Mix-amp for the Xonar DG, which does the same function as the Mix-amp.

Idk if you know but how much of a difference of qaulity with those xonar DG and sound blaster Z?

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #10 of 16

Idk if you know but how much of a difference of quality with those Xonar DG and Sound Blaster Z?

The Xonar DG uses the CS4245 DAC chip, the Z & Zx use the CS4398 DAC chip.
So the Z/Zx does offer better audio quality, by how much, can't really measure.
I would also assume the Z/Zx headphone amplifier is at least a little more powerful the the DG's
The Z/Zx's might also be better for FPS gaming.
The Z series only works with Win 7 & Win 8 (Not Vista or XP).
I would think the DG's would work with any currently supported Windows OS.
Newegg currently has a $10 mail in rebate for the DG.

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #11 of 16
Xonar DG is PCI and due to my setup I would need a PCI Express card.

would you suggest the DSX, DX, or Essence STX
I am not worried about the cash and as far as the mixamp goes I can use it with my ps3 in another room.

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #12 of 16
  Xonar DG is PCI and due to my setup I would need a PCI Express card.

would you suggest the DSX, DX, or Essence STX
I am not worried about the cash and as far as the mixamp goes I can use it with my ps3 in another room.

The Xonar DSX uses DTS, not Dolby.
The Xonar DX's is a fairly decent choice, might give the AD700 a bloated bass.
Essence STX, overkill for the AD700.

For using the ATH-AD700 and FPS gaming, I would say to get the Sound Blaster Z
You already have the Astro Mix-amp for Dolby.

Sep 11, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #13 of 16
soundblaster z series are all 5.1 and that is why I was not looking at them as I was looking at 7.1 cards.

I have looked at the soundblaster z now and it shows it has a cirrus logic dac builtin
would I still need the mixamp with the soundblaster z ?

Sep 11, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #14 of 16
  SB-Z (SoundBlaster Z) series are all 5.1 and that is why I was not looking at them as I was looking at 7.1 cards.

I have looked at the SB-Z now and it shows it has a Cirrus Logic DAC built-in.
Would I still need the mix-amp with the SB-Z?

The SB-Z has a 6-channel (5.1) speaker output, headphone drivers might not have to follow that strict limitation(?).

You would not need to use the Mix-amp at all, with your PC, if the SB-Z is installed in your PC.
The SB-Z and Xonar DX both use the same CS4398 DAC chip, which I believe is considered a good DAC chip.

Sep 11, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #15 of 16
  The SB-Z has a 6-channel (5.1) speaker output, headphone drivers might not have to follow that strict limitation(?).

You would not need to use the Mix-amp at all, with your PC, if the SB-Z is installed in your PC.
The SB-Z and Xonar DX both use the same CS4398 DAC chip, which I believe is considered a good DAC chip.

Thank you sir for the very helpful and fast answers to my noob questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back