Four years after the L.K.S DA004: the Musetec DA005 DAC
Aug 22, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #571 of 589
Just an update based a very material change to my system and a re-evaluation of this DAC. After 20 years I have gone back to a preamp in the system, before I used the digital out of my DACs.
Well the sound has gone up several notches in dynamics, holographic quality and organicness. I’m using the Vinnie Rossi L2 Signature DHT preamp with Linlai 2a3 tubes.

So as good as I thought the digital volume of this DAC was I now know that a top end preamp takes it further. Without it the sound is direct, slightly sterile quality and very clinical/clean.

Do yourself a favour , grab a very good preamp and understand what this dac can deliver. I think I will need a Lampi Horizon to best this setup.

Good listening to all.
Congrats, that is one amazing pre! I too use DHT pre, Coincident Statement Linestage, 101D only in my case. As quality 101 tubes becoming increasingly difficult to come by, this looks very interesting! The ability to use multiple tubes both defends pre from obsolescence and allows for a variety of voicing, DHT in pre's is awesome, immediacy, superior micro dynamics really lend to sense of performers in room.

I'd add 005 worthy of such company as Vinnie Rossi, I'm jealous!

Aug 22, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #572 of 589
@TriodeMan There is a great forum over at Audiogon regarding the 005 with much more activity and I am certain that they would appreciate your recent post. Also, there is a lot of great information and many opinions regarding the 005. It was because of the threads at Head-Fi and Audiogon that I purchased the 005 and I am super pleased that I now own and love this DAC. Thanks for sharing your opinion!

Also, here it is another thread at Audiogon comparing the 005 to the Holo May L2.

Jul 6, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #579 of 589
Very interesting looking pre-amp that might well give the outstanding Holo Serene a run for its money. I've been told its going to be available in couple of weeks time at 4500 (USD) with incentive discount for existing customers.

Jul 6, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #580 of 589
remoter.jpg
This is the remote. A user manual is now posted for the preamp. It is here: http://www.mu-sound.com/files/MH-SA001.pdf

Jul 6, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #581 of 589
Looks good on paper, hope this measures well, would give Musetec more credibility amongst some.

While I'm still enjoying my 005 always on the lookout for contender at relatively sane price, just can't see spending more than $10k on dac at this point. I was interested in Cen.grand DSdac 1.0 deluxe when it first came out, Srajen's review on 6moons (Feb 23) has further piqued my interest, may spring for this to compare to 005.

Mar 26, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #582 of 589
Today I received a new 005. Before I used f.i. Lampizator, Pegasus, Terminator, Holo Spring 3 L2, Audio-GD, Teac UD-701N, Leaf Audio CMD27 (with Staccato opamps) and ECdesigns PowerDAC-SX. The latter I plan to keep as a parallel 'unvoiced' all-in-one system. I use a Rose RS130 streamer.

I am surprised that the 005 already sounds so good out of the box. Great detail, natural, coherent and smooth. I expect it to be volatile though in the next few weeks.

Best sound so far with
RS130 > USB > USB-fiber-USB isolator > USB > LKS USB-100 > I2S > 005.

Both I2S-H (with 50 cm Ricard I2S/hdmi cable) and I2S-E (with 50 cm Ali knockoff Nordost Odin Gold CAT8 cable) sound great. Slight preference for the latter. I can imagine I could improve on that with another (shorter) ethernet cable.

Al in all no regrets so far :)

Mar 26, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #584 of 589
Not surprised you find 005 superior to dacs you compared it to. I suspect the first thing most hear with 005 vs previous dacs is it's high level of resolution, transparency, the manner in which Sabre chips utilized reason for this. My 005 remains in main system over a number of years, and this with well over $40k spent on other upgrades since 005 in main system. Only now that I've maximized every single other link in chain have I come to contemplating purchase or audition of another dac, the only dacs I'm considering are Mola Mola Tambaqui, EMM Labs Da2 V2 or Playback Designs MP8, all far more expensive than 005, anything else I'd consider more of a lateral move.

While 005 highly resolving, transparent, can present high level of realism in very high end systems, this means timbre, tonality, soundstaging, imaging, dynamics, especially micro dynamics all first rate. Based on my research I'd expect dacs mentioned above would retain or exceed extreme high levels of resolution, transparency of 005 surpass with sense of refinement, ease. In spite of many upgrades over years with 005 I have yet to find it to be cause of fatigue or incapable of presenting sense of live performers in room, only the audiophile in me creates the desire to upgrade.

005 burn in should never really be a problem assuming you like initital sound, I only experienced continual improvement over time. Maximizing every single aspect of streaming setup extremely important with 005, highest quality server/streamer one can afford, high quality linear power supplies on every single component, AC, DC, ethernet cables all important, power conditioning, I also do optical conversion. 005 high level of lresolving/transparency will expose virtually everything up and downstream in system so it can live for long time in most every system.

Mar 26, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #585 of 589
Thanks @sns109 and @DBB1, and yes I will post further impressions before long. Not sure whether this thread or the Audiogon one is the best place for it?

A friend of mine had the Mola Mola Tambaqui so I know that DAC pretty well. He replaced it with a (cheaper) CenGrand DSDAC 1.0 Deluxe which we both preferred. Now he has a (much more expensive) APL DAC.

I find the the RS130 to be a a very good streamer. I send local files to it and can disconnect the network while playing. Best network is no network. This also saves me from spending crazy money on network tweaks. But when connected, it is with optical conversion using a Teradak FMC with OCXO clock.

Power is dedicated to the audio, using a PS Audio power plant, LesLoss power strip and good power cables (LessLoss, Clarus, Harmonix etc.). A Mutec Ref10 SE120 clocks the streamer, Lab12 Pre1 preamp and Reimyo KAP-777 power amp and Wolf von Langa SON speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back