Four years after the L.K.S DA004: the Musetec DA005 DAC
Feb 4, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #496 of 589
I can see possible issue with the pairing of Uptone with Microrendu. Uptone supplies 1.1amp, Microrendu requires minimum of 1amp, this means Uptone working very hard to keep up with amperage demands of the rendu. There may be short term spikes with any equipment, in this case those would overload Uptone lps. I always give myself margin of safety with lps, give them an easy load and they last virtually forever.
Thanks for your feedback. I understand what you are saying regarding matching up the two components. It a bit frustrating because the two companies were marketing their products to work together. Both companies had products that were being made with the same chassis and a faceplate to connected the UltraRendu and LPS were at one time sold by Sonore. Uptone still has a picture of a MicroRendu on the product page for the LPS1.2. If I had to guess, I'd say that the majority of LPS's sold at one time were to power Rendu's. The past is the past. I hope the power supply on the Mustec, which I believe uses similar technologies will not fail over time as I do like the results of a super capacitor power supply.

Feb 4, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #497 of 589
I had previously heard the Uptone LPS 1.2 ran hot powering a number of different products, especially if running at 12v. Heat is the enemy of audio components, reduces life significantly. The 005 runs relatively cool, you can easily touch all over, barely warm to the touch, means not running components hard. Uptone does make quality lps in JS-2, which I use to power both modded Macmini server and Sonore OpticalRendu, hardly idling running both.

By the way, the Opticalrendu is substantial upgrade over previous SOTM SMS200 Neo and generic FMC previously running. Incredible resolution at this point, noise floor is virtually non-existent. Optical is way to go for maximum galvanic isolation, all noise completely eliminated.

Feb 17, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #498 of 589
Hello,
I have problems with the USB driver for the MUSETEC MH-DA005.
I downloaded the driver from http://www.mu-sound.com/service.html and installed it on my Windows 10 PC.
Unfortunately it does not work under JRiver. Under the selection Amanero ASIO Combo384 JRiver plays nothing at all, not even 44.1 files!
Only Wasapi or kernel streaming work!
DSD files are not played natively only
What am I doing wrong?
Or do you have a solution?
I would appreciate a feedback.
Kind regards
Dieter
PS: Under "Roon Rock" everything works, also DSD Native.
With Roon under Win 10 only DoP works.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Feb 17, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #499 of 589
Hello,
I have problems with the USB driver for the MUSETEC MH-DA005.
I downloaded the driver from http://www.mu-sound.com/service.html and installed it on my Windows 10 PC.
Unfortunately it does not work under JRiver. Under the selection Amanero ASIO Combo384 JRiver plays nothing at all, not even 44.1 files!
Only Wasapi or kernel streaming work!
DSD files are not played natively only
What am I doing wrong?
Or do you have a solution?
I would appreciate a feedback.
Kind regards
Dieter
PS: Under "Roon Rock" everything works, also DSD Native.
With Roon under Win 10 only DoP works.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Can you send a screen shot of your settings?

Feb 17, 2022 at 5:46 AM Post #500 of 589
Ok,
here my sreenshoots:
1.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 0
Feb 17, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #501 of 589
I have a copy of Media Center 24 which works with the Amanero driver. Here are photos of my settings. I hope this helps. I would ask your questions in the JRiver interactive forum if problems continue.

Attachments

• 20220217_071213.jpg
    20220217_071213.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220217_071106.jpg
    20220217_071106.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #502 of 589
After plenty of modifications and improvements around the DAC - power cables, active speakers, and pre-amp to be precise - I think I can now hear its sound signature. It is ever so slightly metallic. It shows in the DPLL 01 setting, in higher settings it's gone. Still, I don't feel the need to modify this device on board level. All the things that I didn't like in my chain were to be dealt with elsewhere.
I could be all wrong, of course, and that signature sits somewhere else. However, I know my stuff for years and maybe some other Musetec users can relate to my observations.

The fall/winter modding season is finished for me, the 005 will return to the lab table next season. The caps around the DAC chip are worth an experiment. During spring and summer though, I care for other things :relaxed:

In the German forum "Aktives Hören" some dudes started speculating whether the parts (Mundorf caps in particular) in the 005 are genuine. Ridiculous.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #503 of 589
After plenty of modifications and improvements around the DAC - power cables, active speakers, and pre-amp to be precise - I think I can now hear its sound signature. It is ever so slightly metallic. It shows in the DPLL 01 setting, in higher settings it's gone. Still, I don't feel the need to modify this device on board level. All the things that I didn't like in my chain were to be dealt with elsewhere.
I could be all wrong, of course, and that signature sits somewhere else. However, I know my stuff for years and maybe some other Musetec users can relate to my observations.

The fall/winter modding season is finished for me, the 005 will return to the lab table next season. The caps around the DAC chip are worth an experiment. During spring and summer though, I care for other things :relaxed:

In the German forum "Aktives Hören" some dudes started speculating whether the parts (Mudorf caps in particular) in the 005 are genuine. Ridiculous.
Since getting 005 I've made a number of changes which include boutique tubes in both pre and amp some time back, more recently changed out Rubycon caps and generic metal oxide resistors to Audio Note Seiryu and Takman carbon film respectively in Coincident Statement pre signal path. Most recent changes have been to streaming chain which included getting rid of one FMC, it's lps and power cord, Uptone usbregen, it's lps and power cord, SOTM SMS 200neo, and one Audioquest Vodka ethernet cable. In its place I've added Sonore Opticalrendu (powered by Uptone JS2 lps). Chain: router (powered lps)>server via AQ Vodka ethernet>generic FMC (lps) via 2nd ethernet port on server (AQ Vodka)>Sonore OR>005 usb in.

All these changes provided both increased resolving powers and more analog sound signature. In original system configuration, once past initial novelty of increased resolving capabilities of 005, my estimate of flavor landed somewhere between natural and slightly analytical. The sheer resolving power of my system at that time provided such a believable facsimile of live performers in my room that it overcame a slightly unnatural timbre or sound signature (this could have also been characterized as slightly metallic, just as you have). The boutique tubes through very long burn in period overcame this signature to some extent, much more color, former tubes sounded relatively washed out and grey in comparison. Adding the resistors and caps to pre brought a further bump in warmth, color, more analog flavor. The final bump came from streaming chain changes, adding the Sonore Opticalrendu and getting rid of Uptone usbregen was really the icing on the cake! I can now characterize 005 flavor as simply organic, natural, very analog like, if not analog. The opticalrendu gave my digital a much more relaxing, luxurious presence, the timing and ease very similar to my vinyl setup, with added bonus of higher resolving capabilities. I'm at the point where I have a hard time imagining a better digital setup, certainly no longer even miniscule sin of commission, any possible sin of omission I have yet to experience.

Yep, speculating on authenticity of Mundorf caps is ridiculous, faking so they can save pennies on the dollar, and then lose all credibility for it! Sound quality of this piece speaks for itself, speculate yourself right out of hearing the 005, your loss.

Mar 10, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #504 of 589
running a switch between the router and your streamer should give you an improvement, the DSG105 with and ifi 5v, is a really good solution and as you can get both from amazon its worth giving it a try, then if you dont hear a benefit you an always send them back. In my experience the £70 combo, is as good if not better than the likes of the EE8 and other "audiophile" switches around this price point. If you have any spare switch youre not using that you can try hear you should hear an improvement over running the streamer connected directly to the router. Hard wiring all the way is the optimum solution, but you can still get very good results using and extender as long as you run a switch in between the it and the steamer you should still hear and improvement.

Eg:

Extender > ethernet cable > switch > your best ethernet cable > streamer
My system, hard wired, has music files on a NAS, an SOtM sMS-200ultra Neo as a DLNA bridge controlled by a laptop running JRiver connected via a USB-to-ethernet converter. The sMS-200 is on all the time. I was initially using an iFi iPowered TP-Link SG108 switch and it was working fine. Each time I turned on the computer and JRiver, the sMS-200 became visible in JRiver automatically--as it always had. I clicked on it and was in business.

With the suggestion above I substituted a D-Link DGS-105 switch grounded to my preamp. I guessed it was worth the try. And it was. Performance was enhanced, especially spatial issues. BUT I ran into an operational problem that no one seems to understand.

Merely substituting the D-Link switch for the TP-Link, the sMS-200 no longer becomes visible in JRiver without intervention. I have discussed this with SOtM and their advice was to update its software which I have done. But the problem remains. I have discovered three work-arounds while using the D-Link switch. If I cycle the sMS-200 off and on, or restart the DLNA function in the SOtM software, the sMS-200 will become visible in JRiver and work perfectly. Alternatively, I can disconnect the USB-to-ethernet converter and run the laptop on wi-fi and the sMS-200 will become visible in JRiver and it will run normally. Replacing the D-Link with the original TP-Link, of course, also resumes normal operation but at the expense of SQ.

I wonder whether anyone knows why the D-Link should work so differently than the TP-Link, and might have a better solution than my own, and restore automatic operation.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #506 of 589
I have been using the MH-DA003 for a long time, but after reading this thread I couldn't resist and installed the MH-DA005 in my audio system.
I purchased it from Amazon's Shenzhen Audio store and am pleased with their prompt support.
Of course, the sound quality is significantly better than the MH-DA003 with the clock, OP amp and USB board tuned.
Thanks to those in this thread for your help.

Apr 24, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #507 of 589
Hi Guys,

I have been looking for a dac for a big step upgrade from my topping d90se. I was initially looking at the x26pro, spring 3 and so forth when i came across this thread on the musetec 005. Really sparked my interest. I still enjoy my d90se, though it does not sound harsh and tone is generally non fatigueing to me despite being highly detailed, i feel its stage is congested and vocals and mids do not sound as natural as it should.

Just asking how the 005 is better than the d90se, for those who have owned both. Helps me make a decision. Also i do not listen to classical music, mostly 16/44pcm country, live gospel, rock and general pop music. I am bit cautious want to avoid any dac i buy to be brighter than the d90se. Also due to the fact my music preference are generally not so well recorded.

Thank you

Apr 24, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #508 of 589

spw1880,​

For comparisons to other DACs, and especially the Gustard, you may want to review the thread, Musetec (LKS) MH-DA005 DAC, at the Audiogon Digital Forum. Some have sold their Gustard after hearing the Musetec. But, of course, the Musetec is more expensive. The thread has grown very long but it may provide the information you want, so it may be worth going through it. Feel free to ask those who have experience with Topping, Gustard, etc. Also see Review: Holo May (L2) DAC and the Musetec Audio (LKS Audio) MH-DA005 DAC Compaired.

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #510 of 589
Oh boy, that is quite embarrasing. I did expect that the DA005 would not land in the top due to the discrete analog stage, which do never measure as perfectly as the best OP amp chips. Nevertheless, the THD measurements 500Hz and up are really not funny. Of course, Amir did not let it sit for 100h, because that is nonsense, anyway :wink: I know from my own experience that the DAC sounds disappointing fresh out of the box, and I remember distinctly that the highs were sharp. All this went away later. It doesn't matter, as I suspect that the measurements would not be affected much. The miracles of HiFi.

I don't see how I could lower the output level, though. My digital source has no volume control, and that would not make it any better, anyway. The digital volume control in the DAC is no solution, either. 0dB attenuation into the pre amp sounds best.

Well, I don't care. I like the DAC. It was a big step forward from the Benchmark DAC2, which without a doubt measures a lot better. *shrug*

-- edit --

I think the measurements confirm my impression that the weakness of the DAC is the digital domain. There is nothing in it to write home about. Just a few off the shelf chips wired up. No proprietary advanced algorithms and such. No wonder that the jitter performance is mediocre at best. I also noticed very long traces between the digital components. That can't be good, either.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back