Four years after the L.K.S DA004: the Musetec DA005 DAC
Aug 13, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #256 of 589
I presume the only advantages are no conversion from usb to I2S within dac, I2S is native protocol, and word clock on I2s rides separate line.
And why using a usb to i2s converter? Just get a streamer which has I2S as native output, like my Pink Faun streamer.... it has usb and I2S output..i tried both on my heavily upgraded pink faun 2.24Q , which has usb and I2S inputs and the I2S implementation on the dac sounded much better then usb..more air, bass hits harder and a bit more musical...the owner of pink faun told me he prefers I2S also over usb also.

Aug 13, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #257 of 589
And why using a usb to i2s converter? Just get a streamer which has I2S as native output, like my Pink Faun streamer.... it has usb and I2S output..i tried both on my heavily upgraded pink faun 2.24Q , which has usb and I2S inputs and the I2S implementation on the dac sounded much better then usb..more air, bass hits harder and a bit more musical...the owner of pink faun told me he prefers I2S also over usb also.
Well, streamer or server has to have I2S output, not all do. So many variations today, beginning to see streamer/servers with ethernet output, dacs with ethernet input, steamer/server/dac combo's operating solely on network. Can all get pretty confusing. Still, usb pretty optimized solution today, many if not most dacs preferred input. 005 has certainly put a lot of engineering effort into usb.

Aug 13, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #258 of 589
Also, I'm not convinced to get new server with I2S out, extremely content with my present server. Keep in mind theoreticals don't always hold true, LKS 004 usb reportedly sounds better than I2S, this true for many other dacs as well. And yes, I keep on saying some day I'll try the I2S on 005, statement getting old by now :)

Aug 17, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #259 of 589
A while back I did some research on ethernet-in, I2S-out devices. Some were very expensive. About that time Beekhuyzen did a review of a reasonably priced one, comparing it to an SOtM sMS-200 and it did not do terribly well going to his Brooklyn DAC. Given the quality of LKS USB to I2S boards and the increase in quality of the one in the Musetec, that's not a direction for me.

Fuses. There has been a a lot of buzz on the 'net about Quantum Science fuses from China. The $81 "light blue" has been compared favorably to the SR-Orange. No comment from me on that, but I put one in a few days ago and it seems quite nice. After the light blue, the prices go up dramatically--into the thousands. If you try one of these be sure to try it both ways.

I don't think we'll ever see a comparative review of the Musetec against some of the big boy DACs. To show how hungry I am for that review I'll juxtapose two quotes off the net:

The first is off this list from DBB1: "I heard the Chord Hugo 2 with the M sampler for close to three hours in the course of shopping for new speakers. I realize that different systems greatly effect the sound, but the Hugo2 was not superior to the 005 and less palpable in imaging."

The second is from a review of the Chord HugoTT2 together with the M Scaler on HIFI+: "the combination of the Hugo TT 2 and the Hugo M Scaler actually costs less than the DAVE and may actually offer better all around performance, which is saying a mouthful."

I'm not drawing any very strong conclusions, but I had to smile.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #260 of 589
I think what is better than the 005 would be something like the new Esoteric K1-x CD/SACD player into a DHT preamp like the Vinnie Rossi L2 Signature. That's about $45,000 roughly ie 10 times the price of the 005.
That's what happens when you get a true statement product, it takes 10 times the money to produce something obviously materially better. I do want the latter set up, I'm just not prepared to spend that dosh.

Aug 17, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #261 of 589
When I get my next dose of expendable audio funds another high end dac to compare with 005 at top of list. I'd venture to guess there aren't many dacs out there with this level of resolution at any price. I'd expect the state of art dac at this time would have to beat 005 on resolution and at the same time be top level and/or top of line vinyl setup natural sound. Until I read multiple consensual reviews of dac doing both I'll live with 005. The only trustworthy reviews I've seen of dacs that do both these thing are top of line TotalDac and Mola Mola Tambaqui. DCS, perhaps the Esoteric and others I'm not thinking of are in this top tier. I see a lot of glowing reviews of some of these hot R2R dacs, also see criticisms, I wouldn't consider them state of art dacs. I can only speculate how any compare to 005. I'm waiting with great anticipation for the first negative review of 005, until then I wouldn't have a clue, based on sound quality, what it's liabilities are. It may have sins of omission, can't hear any of commission.

Aug 18, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #263 of 589
I don't think we'll ever see a comparative review of the Musetec against some of the big boy DACs. To show how hungry I am for that review I'll juxtapose two quotes off the
I have had a Holo May on order and should receive it in early September. (I sold a preamp not in use and the 004. I guess the money burned a hole in my pocket.) You will hear my impressions.

Aug 18, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #264 of 589
Earlier in this thread we discussed preamps. I did not have one then, a decision based on a satisfying assessment of the quality of the DA005 volume control, and on the assumption there was no logical argument against direct injection by the dac into a power amp, provided the amp presents a light load to the dac, i.e. a high enough input impedance. Mine has 50k. No dac should have a problem with that.
But then I read a review of the Topping Pre90 ( https://soundnews.net/accessories/topping-pre90-ext90-review-pre-amp-my-power-amp/ ), written by a regular user of a Benchmark HPA4, which as a preamp is generally regarded very highly. He rated the measured and audible performance of Benchmark and Topping as more or less equal. Then he tested the Topping with different dacs, and concluded that some dacs audibly need a preamp, but others do not, possibly depending on the prowess of their output stages.
So: does the DA005 need a preamp or not? A listening test with and without a good preamp was needed. Somebody had to do it, so I sacrificed myself and bought a Topping Pre90, justifying this purchase further with the added ergonomic bonus of being able to switch between digital and analog sources by remote control.
I inserted the Topping in the chain and after initial listening left it there, because further A/B-ing proved to be not necessary at all. The preamp made immediately very clear that it provided an audibly better interface between dac and amp than a direct cable connection. I got fuller and at the same time tauter bass, a 'quieter' and more transparant midrange, and still more delicate treble, as well as more spatial information, which I value greatly. You could say that the DA005 just had become more DA005 than it already was. And the Topping Pre90 is a steal.

Aug 18, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #265 of 589
Surprising, isn't it, that an extra component has such a noticeable, positive influence. The Chinese really sweep the market with affordable high-quality components. Digital came first, now the analog world is next. What I like about the HPA4 is its bigger case, which has more room for power supply tweaks. Not that this feature alone is worth thousands of dollars, but for the analog part of my chain, I am thinking in longer timeframes now.

edit...
And once more: a discrete output stage looks good on paper, yet it is not automatically a quality feature as such. The Pre90 proves again that chips aren't bad at all if implemented right.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #266 of 589
If the pleasure of this DAC can be enhanced by the addition of a preamplifier that can be had at new at eBay for about $250, I'm all for it. My own experience tells me that it may not be so--for me. Before relating that experience just note that 'net reviews are very easy to produce (now, even with just a phone) and easy to come by; I take them with more than a bit of suspicion. I'd also note that nothing that I have ever read about Benchmark products has ever made me consider buying one.

When I first got an LKS 004 I had what was considered a very fine Sim Audio SS preamplifier, one with a power supply in a separate full-sized case. When Schiit came out with a new 4 tube preamp I went for it. It was cheap enough, could be sold easily enough and would give me a chance to see what tubes could do for my SQ in digital. I already had a 7 tube phono pre that I like very much. I put some NOS tubes in the Schiit and loved the result with the LKS. The Sim, excellent though it is, was headed out the door. Eventually, I decided that I could not live without a balance control, and for another reason or two, sold the Schiit in favor of a far more expensive Rogue. Also added some NOS tubes. I couldn't have been happier. My system was then ready to receive the Musetec.

So the moral of the story, for me, is that a fine preamp can make a difference and a very beneficial difference. As usual, YMMV.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #267 of 589
If the pleasure of this DAC can be enhanced by the addition of a preamplifier that can be had at new at eBay for about $250, I'm all for it. My own experience tells me that it may not be so--for me. Before relating that experience just note that 'net reviews are very easy to produce (now, even with just a phone) and easy to come by; I take them with more than a bit of suspicion. I'd also note that nothing that I have ever read about Benchmark products has ever made me consider buying one.

When I first got an LKS 004 I had what was considered a very fine Sim Audio SS preamplifier, one with a power supply in a separate full-sized case. When Schiit came out with a new 4 tube preamp I went for it. It was cheap enough, could be sold easily enough and would give me a chance to see what tubes could do for my SQ in digital. I already had a 7 tube phono pre that I like very much. I put some NOS tubes in the Schiit and loved the result with the LKS. The Sim, excellent though it is, was headed out the door. Eventually, I decided that I could not live without a balance control, and for another reason or two, sold the Schiit in favor of a far more expensive Rogue. Also added some NOS tubes. I couldn't have been happier. My system was then ready to receive the Musetec.

So the moral of the story, for me, is that a fine preamp can make a difference and a very beneficial difference. As usual, YMMV.
My experience generally, like yours, is that a decent preamp is necessary with most dacs. On occasion I have removed the preamp and gained clarity, but in the long run I put the pre back in to get better dynamics, sound stage, and bass. The 005 ultimately, for me, sounded better with the pre in, a Hegel H30..

Aug 19, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #268 of 589
. . . . but in the long run I put the pre back in to get better dynamics, sound stage, and bass. The 005 ultimately, for me, sounded better with the pre in, a Hegel H30..
I though of something you wrote when I heard this album at 24/48 on Amazon Music (also on Qobuz at 24/88): "Debut" by the Janaki String Trio. Absolutely superb SQ with a they're-right-here rather than a you-are-there acoustic. The dimensionality of the cello is startling. Highlights for me are the trios by Penderecki and Beethoven. See what the Musetec makes of this.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #269 of 589
When I get my next dose of expendable audio funds another high end dac to compare with 005 at top of list. I'd venture to guess there aren't many dacs out there with this level of resolution at any price. I'd expect the state of art dac at this time would have to beat 005 on resolution and at the same time be top level and/or top of line vinyl setup natural sound. Until I read multiple consensual reviews of dac doing both I'll live with 005. The only trustworthy reviews I've seen of dacs that do both these thing are top of line TotalDac and Mola Mola Tambaqui. DCS, perhaps the Esoteric and others I'm not thinking of are in this top tier. I see a lot of glowing reviews of some of these hot R2R dacs, also see criticisms, I wouldn't consider them state of art dacs. I can only speculate how any compare to 005. I'm waiting with great anticipation for the first negative review of 005, until then I wouldn't have a clue, based on sound quality, what it's liabilities are. It may have sins of omission, can't hear any of commission.
Do consider getting the R7He mk2 for comparison! :)

Aug 19, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #270 of 589
I though of something you wrote when I heard this album at 24/48 on Amazon Music (also on Qobuz at 24/88): "Debut" by the Janaki String Trio. Absolutely superb SQ with a they're-right-here rather than a you-are-there acoustic. The dimensionality of the cello is startling. Highlights for me are the trios by Penderecki and Beethoven. See what the Musetec makes of this.
I just listened to the Penderecki and Beethoven trios. It was my first hearing. The Penderecki is very interesting. Thanks for introducing me to this album.

I agree on the sound quality too. Amazing! It seems a small chamber ensemble well recorded really allows the 005 to fully show its capability. I honestly am not sure if hearing the performance live could sound better. Complex string overtones, body cavity resonances, and a palpable live presence all there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back