Four years after the L.K.S DA004: the Musetec DA005 DAC
Oct 6, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #361 of 589
Interesting you both would be writing about the Mahler. (By the way, the orchestra was the Columbia Symphony Orchestra, not the NYPO. The orchestra was the name of the pick-up band created by the label for Walter to record either on the East coast or on the West. In this case it was the East coast and may very well have been populated by some NYPO players.) I am something of a Mahler fanatic and have many copies of all his symphonies, but not yet the Walter versions--a deficiency I shall soon remedy. (I do have his 1 and 9 on LP.) What I wanted to reinforce here is the 005's ability to keep its cool and its clarity no matter what force an entire symphony orchestra may put out and the Mahler 2nd is a great example. That has been something of a digital revelation to this audio veteran.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #362 of 589
Just a brief comment on re-publishing. My own advice would be that this review is of such quality that it deserves a thread of its own and should not be published (and possibly buried) within someone else's thread. Call me elitist, but it is my belief that most audio reviewers, not to mention casual commentators, have never heard a musical instrument except through a loudspeaker, and what is written is a lot of "I like this" and "I don't like that." I think its own thread on Audiogon would reach more readers, including many in the market for a DAC. Then perhaps someone on GoldenOne's thread may write and ask if he has considered the Musetec DAC written about on Audiogon.

Oct 6, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #363 of 589
Interesting you both would be writing about the Mahler. (By the way, the orchestra was the Columbia Symphony Orchestra, not the NYPO. The orchestra was the name of the pick-up band created by the label for Walter to record either on the East coast or on the West. In this case it was the East coast and may very well have been populated by some NYPO players.) I am something of a Mahler fanatic and have many copies of all his symphonies, but not yet the Walter versions--a deficiency I shall soon remedy. (I do have his 1 and 9 on LP.) What I wanted to reinforce here is the 005's ability to keep its cool and its clarity no matter what force an entire symphony orchestra may put out and the Mahler 2nd is a great example. That has been something of a revelation to this audio veteran.
Generally you are right about the late 50s and early 60s Walter/Columbia recordings. Almost all were done with an LA ad hoc orchestra organized by Columbia of fine musicians. There are three exceptions I know of. Walter recorded the Mahler 2 at Carnegie Hall after a highly acclaimed concert performance with the New York Philharmonic, Maureen Forester et al in 1958. Mahler: Symphony No. 2 'Ressurection https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SRVC1VK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_C0HMV2VF6MARKTM7WPRR
The other Mahler exception is Das Lied Von der Erde, recorded also in New York with Mildred Miller and the NYPHIL. Finally, Walter recorded the last movement of Beethoven's 9th in New York with the NYPHIL because he couldn't get a a chorus up to snuff in LA. The recording jacket didn't acknowledge it and the entire symphony is attributed to the Columbia Symphony Orchestra.

I confess to being both a Mahler and Bruno Walter fanatic. I have almost all the Columbia LPs and CD releases of Walter's Mahler 2, including the latest Japanese SACD remastering.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #364 of 589
Just a brief comment on re-publishing. My own advice would be that this review is of such quality that it deserves a thread of its own and should not be published (and possibly buried) within someone else's thread. Call me elitist, but it is my belief that most audio reviewers, not to mention casual commentators, have never heard a musical instrument except through a loudspeaker, and what is written is a lot of "I like this" and "I don't like that." I think its own thread on Audiogon would reach more readers, including many in the market for a DAC. Then perhaps someone on GoldenOne's thread may write and ask if he has considered the Musetec DAC written about on Audiogon.
I'll consider this. I sometimes post on Audiogon. Thanks again for the compliment. I am glad you appreciated my effort.

I agree with your comment that many listeners are not very familiar with the sound of live unamplified instruments. The result is no base line for a reality check.

Oct 7, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #365 of 589
Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #366 of 589
Re: the Mahler Symphony No. 2, Not sure how much this will interest others, but copies I have seen look more like this: https://www.discogs.com/release/557...stminster-College-Choir-Columbia-Symphony-Orc Clearly the two disk sets contain exactly the same performance. Now looking around, I see it both ways. Could simply be a licensing issue. So who knows?
The performance has been listed in a few cd releases as performed by the Columbia Symphony Orchestra. It creates confusion. I have had this discussion in the Gustav Mahler group on FB. The one you reference above, an Odyssey cd, and a Canadian release. Maybe some lps too. (I have the first lp edition : it says NYPHIL)The reason had to do with royalties under a contractual restriction. This was actually explained in a WQXR broadcast that I heard in the 1970s.

Oct 7, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #367 of 589
It seems paradoxical because we presume a blacker background and lower noise floor guarantees better resolution thus you would think the May would do better with the Mahler. I was surprised how decisively better, to my ear, the 005 did on the Mahler in terms of resolution. This was because the 005 better reproduced details, especially in the higher frequencies, above the noise floor. The May just didn't have it. Incidentally, your setup up would probably do better than mine on the black background since you have worked so hard on getting rid of electrical noise.

Once I correct some spelling and typo errors, I'll post it on the May forum. Is this the forum your referring to:
An exploration of Chord DAVE, MScaler, Qutest, and Holo May, HQPlayer

Then I'll make some popcorn.
This all makes sense, seems that 005 may have higher resolving potential vs. your version of Holo. And its also clear from your impressions thus far, that 005 in relation to Holo is at least equal in ability to present illusion of living, organic performance. Interesting, as this is the one thing detractors of Sabre chip dacs always point to. For me, this is the most important aspect of 005 performance, taking it into top or near top echelon of dacs. I expected top notch resolution, wasn't totally prepared for 005 timbre/tonality 'rightness.'

That is the exact thread I'm referring to. Yes, that thread really goes into the weeds at times. Still, worth bringing 005 into thread, may only bring derision from some of the objectivists over there, perhaps they'll ignore altogether. Thick skin required for all possible attacks on listening impressions/reviews over there. Getting 005 into the conversation, whatever the forum could be of service to those who don't always prejudge.

Oct 7, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #368 of 589
SNS 109 said:
"And its also clear from your impressions thus far, that 005 in relation to Holo is at least equal in ability to present illusion of living, organic performance. Interesting, as this is the one thing detractors of Sabre chip dacs always point to."

I think the issue might be that "real" to the critics means essentially analog sounding. The May excels at sounding analog. A live performance does not sound like the best possible record player.

I posted the review at Audiogon in a new thread under "digital". I think I'll wait a little while before I post it on the May thread here.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #369 of 589
SNS 109 said:
"And its also clear from your impressions thus far, that 005 in relation to Holo is at least equal in ability to present illusion of living, organic performance. Interesting, as this is the one thing detractors of Sabre chip dacs always point to."

I think the issue might be that "real" to the critics might mean essentially analog sounding. The May excels at sounding analog. A live performance does not sound like the best possible record player.

I posted the review at Audiogon in a new thread under "digital". I think I'll wait a little while before I post it on the May thread here.
I understand the nuance of what you're saying. Yes, I could never imagine the 005 being perceived as warm or analog, it is rather exciting, that could be considered incisive by some. All dac topologies have their place and individual sound signatures, no single one for everybody.

Speaking of music, between Roon/streaming and 005 I'm finding myself rather entranced by bee bop era jazz these days. Roon, together with Qobuz and Tidal provide the library, 005 the performance. Rock continues to fall in listening preferences over the years, live performers in room sound quality seems to enhance much more complex, nuanced recordings/music. Classical continues it's rise in listening preference as well, always enjoyed the baroque, smaller scale sub genre, large scale, romantic era growing on me.

Oct 7, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #370 of 589

The effort is certainly worth its own thread but at minimum you should link your great post to one of the May threads here. If you don’t, I’ll do it for you as it‘s such a refresher from the bickering we’re reading these days in the may/dave exploration thread from @GoldenOne :).

I hesitated between trying the 005 and upgrading my spring to the may. In retrospect, your post would have confirmed my choice but their must be many more people that the 005 appeals to.

Oct 7, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #371 of 589
The effort is certainly worth its own thread but at minimum you should link your great post to one of the May threads here. If you don’t, I’ll do it for you as it‘s such a refresher from the bickering we’re reading these days in the may/dave exploration thread from @GoldenOne :).

I hesitated between trying the 005 and upgrading my spring to the may. In retrospect, your post would have confirmed my choice but their must be many more people that the 005 appeals to.
Ok. You convinced me. I just posted the review on the May thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back