Four years after the L.K.S DA004: the Musetec DA005 DAC
Sep 6, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #316 of 589
DBB1 said:
<snip>
It turns out it's hard to find a linear power supply with sufficient current for my Asus mini (it needs at least 8 amps),
<snip>

8 Amps seems like an awful lot to run a small PC.

FWIW I use a 7 year old Asus laptop on which I run JRiver. It has a wall wart power supply. Even before I got the SOtM digital bridge I tried comparing the Asus plugged in to just running on its batteries as it has a long battery life. I could hear no difference.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #317 of 589
I have a question that relates to the thread on the Audiogon Forum that sns109 referred to a while back, "DAC Shootout Starts This Weekend". I've participated there in a very modest way and I'll have more to say about it later, but one question for you guys.

The OP on that thread reports various amounts of what he calls "sibilance" from some expensive DACs. By that he means distortions of "s" sounds and "sh" sounds coming from singers. I have always associated those distortions with analog cartridge mistracking. At least on the 004 or the Musetec (for which my recollections are strong) I have no recollection of ever hearing sibilance distortions that are attributable to the DAC, that is to say, on a modern commercial recording.

So, have you ever heard sibilance distortion on the 004 or the Musetec?

Sep 6, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #318 of 589
<snip> I'm continually amazed at how much information contained within 16/44! I no longer hear much if any difference between 16/44 and higher sampling rates. <snip>

I agree, it's getting quite narrow. A while back there was a thread on the Audiogon Forum to the effect that DACs were getting so good at decoding 16/44.1 they were obviating the need for higher density recordings. it's all good.

Sep 6, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #319 of 589
I have a question that relates to the thread on the Audiogon Forum that sns109 referred to a while back, "DAC Shootout Starts This Weekend". I've participated there in a very modest way and I'll have more to say about it later, but one question for you guys.

The OP on that thread reports various amounts of what he calls "sibilance" from some expensive DACs. By that he means distortions of "s" sounds and "sh" sounds coming from singers. I have always associated those distortions with analog cartridge mistracking. At least on the 004 or the Musetec (for which my recollections are strong) I have no recollection of ever hearing sibilance distortions that are attributable to the DAC, that is to say, on a modern commercial recording.

So, have you ever heard sibilance distortion on the 004 or the Musetec?
It may be what I'm hearing at the moment. I want to call it glare, but that's too strong a word. Some may call what I'm hearing as sibilance, just not quite as natural as my system has sounded in recent past with 005. And its not on all recordings, I'm still hearing awesome three dimensional performers in room, timbre just a bit off by this little bit. Could be from all the rhodium connectors on most of my power cords.

I've been watching the thread and some others recently, heard this spoken of as well. Wonder if there's something going on with latest dacs with greatest resolving power ever? Is this an artifact of digital, something inherent only exposed with highest resolving dacs and systems? Or is conditionally based on system? I have some tweaking to do over coming weeks in order to get to bottom of this.

Sep 6, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #320 of 589
It may be what I'm hearing at the moment. I want to call it glare, but that's too strong a word. Some may call what I'm hearing as sibilance, just not quite as natural as my system has sounded in recent past with 005. And its not on all recordings, I'm still hearing awesome three dimensional performers in room, timbre just a bit off by this little bit. Could be from all the rhodium connectors on most of my power cords.

I've been watching the thread and some others recently, heard this spoken of as well. Wonder if there's something going on with latest dacs with greatest resolving power ever? Is this an artifact of digital, something inherent only exposed with highest resolving dacs and systems? Or is conditionally based on system? I have some tweaking to do over coming weeks in order to get to bottom of this.
Does what you hear sound like cartridge mis-tracking on vocal s and sh sounds? In fact, is what you hear related uniquely to those s and sh sounds? Thanks for any info.

Sep 7, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #322 of 589
Agree on diminishing need for HR, as growing resolution of the replay chain unveils more detail and finesse in 16/44 files. That is a lot of music getting better and better! Who would've thunk it 20 years ago?

Sep 7, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #323 of 589
I don't hear it as exclusively on s and sh sounds, more global in mostly upper mids. I've long found upper mids is where I almost always first hear any tonality, timbre defects. Thinking about it a bit more, could also be described as a bit of nervousness. In spite of increased perception of performers in room, therefore, even more dimensional imaging, transparency, lowest level performers, instruments greater presence (this added presence is the biggie of the newly added network switch). I would say I'm now at extreme level of resolution, transparency, every single thing in streaming, digital setup optimized over many years of analysis and listening. Can't think of a single thing needing more optimization, only wholesale changes like new server, dac would change the equation.

The question becomes is the 005 to blame, delta sigma has had the reputation of being least analog sounding dac topology. Am I running up against the limitations of DS chip in 005? Or is this coloration somewhere else in system? At this point I'm going to assume something else in system. I do have a fair bit of rhodium and silver in system at this point, can change out some for gold. I still have many other options as well at this point, so not going to jump to conclusion 005 is culprit.

I'm also going to need to listen more closely if there is a difference between streaming and my cd rips. If there is difference could also point to music player software. I'm presently running Roon with Tidal and Qobuz. Formerly ran Audirvana some years ago, thought I perceived a slightly less analog sound when first changing to Roon. Loved the interface and thought sound quality close enough so kept Roon. May have to retry Audirvana, looks like they have new interface with both Tidal and Qobuz. Haven't searched for online comparisons lately, but recall some believed Audirvana sound quality superior to Roon a few years ago.

I'll continue to say streaming is the most confounding and complex thing I've ever encountered in audio, so many directions one can go in, so many choices. At level of full optimization, unique setups make any generalizations problematic.

Sep 8, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #324 of 589
I recently discovered that a cable that might be best for the 004 may just not be the best for the Musetec.

When I had the 004 I did some USB cable experiments. After a while I followed the guidance of an Asylum cable Guru and limited myself to solid core cables. Replacing a Supra cable with an much less expensive solid core silver-plated copper was a definite step up. Eventually his highest recommendation was to the reasonably priced Audioquest Pearl. I was impressed with the sound-stage it created. But it did not have the sparkle of the silver-plated cable. So I found an Asian dealer who made solid core silver cable at a very reasonable price. I loved that cable on the 004. It provided body and what I like to call liquidity to the sound and restored the sparkle. But it did not create the soundstage of the Pearl. Even so I was very pleased and stayed with it. Enter the Musetec providing its own body, liquidity and frequency extension in spades. So now back to the Pearl and the sound stage is sometimes beyond belief. Can the Concertgebouw sound like Madison Sq. Garden? On some Decca disks, yes. So far, it's great--but I'll continue to look.
Interesting: do not seek the best usb cable in general, but the best one for this dac. Nice too that the best could be the cheapest too! More suggestions? I'm using the Supra.

Sep 11, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #325 of 589
I recently discovered that a cable that might be best for the 004 may just not be the best for the Musetec.

When I had the 004 I did some USB cable experiments. After a while I followed the guidance of an Asylum cable Guru and limited myself to solid core cables. Replacing a Supra cable with an much less expensive solid core silver-plated copper was a definite step up. Eventually his highest recommendation was to the reasonably priced Audioquest Pearl. I was impressed with the sound-stage it created. But it did not have the sparkle of the silver-plated cable. So I found an Asian dealer who made solid core silver cable at a very reasonable price. I loved that cable on the 004. It provided body and what I like to call liquidity to the sound and restored the sparkle. But it did not create the soundstage of the Pearl. Even so I was very pleased and stayed with it. Enter the Musetec providing its own body, liquidity and frequency extension in spades. So now back to the Pearl and the sound stage is sometimes beyond belief. Can the Concertgebouw sound like Madison Sq. Garden? On some Decca disks, yes. So far, it's great--but I'll continue to look.
[/QUOTE

Got a Pearl today and put it in instead of the Supra. Result: clearly more detail, precision and stability in the soundstage. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back