Four years after the L.K.S DA004: the Musetec DA005 DAC
Jun 22, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #136 of 589
Couldn't have said it better. It's all in the mix!

Finally, my Benchmark HPA4, which I've ordered in March, will arrive this week. I will report soon how well the volume control of the DA005 stacks up against it. And some more Nanotec 309 power cables will be deployed. This stuff is just awesome. Absolute game-changer.

I am a little disappointed as well that the DAC is still not tested by anyone anywhere. On the other hand: do I have to care? From a sporty competitive angle maybe :D I know it's great.

Jun 23, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #137 of 589
Mostly personal curiosity in regard to wanting to hear Holo May in context of my system. Its the most reasonable priced highly praised r2r dac out there these days. I've also been wanting to hear an r2r dac for many years now. I'm naturally curious about various topologies in audio equipment, been through class a/b, class a and class d solid state, push pull and set tube amps, solid state, passive and tube preamps, compression drive box speaker, open baffle versions of same, single driver and horn speakers, been through tons of all kinds of cables, went crazy with this years ago with the Cable Company lending library. So, wanting to try various dacs is continuation of this.

Eventually, I find my way to an end, most of my system is end game for me, dac and my entire streaming solution still in flux. Yes, I'm completely satisfied with 005, just have an itch to finally try r2r, may want fpga at some point. Also, digital is still a relatively rapidly developing sector of audio, analog very mature in comparison. I don't believe there is any end game digital for me at this point.

And I do want to test for my preconceived bias against r2r dacs. The words I most often hear when hearing others describe r2r dacs are words like forgiving, natural, analog like, for Sabre dacs its resolving. Because of this I doubt the resolving capability of r2r dacs, and maximum resolve is quality I seek in dacs.

Jun 23, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #138 of 589
FWIW, I tracked down the GAD gold and silver foil capacitors, a pair of which are used on the Musetec I/V LPF analog board. They are manufactured by Selectronic Kondensatoren in Germany and sell in small quantity for $92 each. Do we know of any other maker of consumer electronics using parts of this cost/quality?
Audio note.

Jun 23, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #139 of 589
Audio note.
@Iantian, The Audio Note DACs are distinguished by using tubes, but are otherwise quite limited, particularly in the inputs they can accommodate. I have only been able to track down the prices of two of them, the AN 2.1 DAC at $4900 and the AN 4.1 DAC at $9000. Regarding parts, the only part that they list (or that I can find after a search) is that each uses one AD1865 chip for the digital to analog conversion. These are sold in small quantities at about $23. The ES9038pro chips, two of which are used in the Musitec (as well as in the LKS), cost about $75 each in small quantities. No comment here re: their relative merits. If you can identify other specific parts in the Audio Notes, it could be of interest.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #140 of 589
@Iantian, The Audio Note DACs are distinguished by using tubes, but are otherwise quite limited, particularly in the inputs they can accommodate. I have only been able to track down the prices of two of them, the AN 2.1 DAC at $4900 and the AN 4.1 DAC at $9000. Regarding parts, the only part that they list (or that I can find after a search) is that each uses one AD1865 chip for the digital to analog conversion. These are sold in small quantities at about $23. The ES9038pro chips, two of which are used in the Musitec (as well as in the LKS), cost about $75 each in small quantities. No comment here re: their relative merits. If you can identify other specific parts in the Audio Notes, it could be of interest.
Read up a bit more. In general they make their own capacitors resistors transforms and other parts. And to a way higher standard than anyone else does. Eve this lks uses their caps In it. My comment was in general sense of a company that pays the utmost attention to the parts they select for their products offer incredible sounding finished products. Their resistors and electrolytic caps are the best there is.

Jun 24, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #141 of 589
In the realm of dacs, Mojo Audio and TotalDac are both filled with premium, boutique and/or proprietary parts. Wyred4sound anniversary dac, another 9038 chip uses some premium parts. Holo May KTE also has both premium and proprietary parts. Audio Note takes care in choosing premium parts, many are proprietary, likely made by one of the major manufacturers to their specs. I do know at least some of their tubes manufactured by Psvane.

Jun 25, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #142 of 589
The Benchmark HPA4 is connected and breaking in. The first surprise I can share: 0dB does not sound identical to bypass in the DA005. Bypass has more resolution. When the built-in volume control is active, the sound is a bit fuzzier and less focused. Some might call it "warm". I call it a loss of precision. The difference is not quite as big as switching between DPLL BW01 and BW02/03, yet bigger than the diff between the two filter settings. I'll report more when the HPA has the power cable it deserves and everything is properly broken in.

Jun 25, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #143 of 589
The Benchmark HPA4 is connected and breaking in. The first surprise I can share: 0dB does not sound identical to bypass in the DA005. Bypass has more resolution. When the built-in volume control is active, the sound is a bit fuzzier and less focused. Some might call it "warm". I call it a loss of precision. The difference is not quite as big as switching between DPLL BW01 and BW02/03, yet bigger than the diff between the two filter settings. I'll report more when the HPA has the power cable it deserves and everything is properly broken in.
Hmm, I'm going to have to further explore this. I generally run 005 running near top of volume control, say -10db to full volume as my Coincident pre is dual manual only volume control, don't want to constantly have to get up and down for fine volume control. Can't say I've heard any discernible qualitative difference in this volume range. I've also run in bypass mode in short term listening, again, no discernible difference. I suspect I'll need a longer term exclusive bypass mode listening session to come to meaningful conclusion. It makes sense bypass mode could be incrementally better, not so much because of bit loss at volume I listen at, rather the idea some circuitry may be bypassed.

Jun 25, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #145 of 589
I take that back. Got confused somehow with too many new impressions. The difference between 0dB and bypass is minuscule if at all. I need more time to understand my new toy :ksc75smile:
Good to hear, still there may be slight difference I have yet to uncover. Up to now, I've not heard appreciable difference between bypass and running dac volume control at say 90% and above max volume with any of my dacs in recent years. Again, only long term exclusive listening in bypass mode may expose degradation, almost don't want to know, then I'd want to degrade Coincident with remote volume control or get another pre.:triportsad:

Which brings to mind long term concern for me of purchasing any dac without volume control. Excludes Holo May, Terminator +. Part of Coincident pre design philosophy, dual mono throughout even to point of dual TVS volume control that can't be motorized. More willing to give up these dacs than pre. May have to reset sights to Aqua or Rockna.

Jun 26, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #146 of 589
I look forward to SNS109's impressions of the Holo May compared to the 005. I almost bought it instead of the 005.

In the interest of providing some more comparative information on the 005, I heard the Chord Hugo 2 with the M sampler for close to three hours in the course of shopping for new speakers. I realize that different systems greatly effect the sound, but the Hugo2 was not superior to the 005 and less palpable in imaging.

Jun 26, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #147 of 589
I look forward to SNS109's impressions of the Holo May compared to the 005. I almost bought it instead of the 005.

In the interest of providing some more comparative information on the 005, I heard the Chord Hugo 2 with the M sampler for close to three hours in the course of shopping for new speakers. I realize that different systems greatly effect the sound, but the Hugo2 was not superior to the 005 and less palpable in imaging.
Not surprised about comparison to Hugo. I've surmised Chord dacs not for me, the reviewers I most trust report Chord Dave needs Mscaler to be really top notch contender, at that price I'd rather go in another direction. As stated above, I'm rethinking my future purchase of Holo May due to lack of volume control. I presume I'd be very bothered by having to get out of listening chair for fine volume adjustments. It seems the r2r dacs on my radar don't offer volume control, I'm moving more in the direction of FPGA dacs as most if not all have volume control and/or actual built in preamp capability.

Jun 26, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #148 of 589
Off topic, but I've consistently found that even though I always got more clarity by skipping the preamp, I prefer the added texture, dynamics, and imaging added by using a good preamp. I know that many disagree.

Jun 26, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #149 of 589
Off topic, but I've consistently found that even though I always got more clarity by skipping the preamp, I prefer the added texture, dynamics, and imaging added by using a good preamp. I know that many disagree.
I totally agree, with the added requirement it be a good active preamp. I presume those preferring no preamp haven't heard a quality active preamp in their system. Over the years I've come to believe preamp may be most important link in audio chain. Preamp is the heart of the audio system, its distribution point for what precedes and follows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back